What is your grade for the Suns draft selections

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
C - This was needs draft. They got a roll player and a backup PG. I guess they are going to move Diaw to SF which means Hill may come off the bench. I am not sold on either pick, but Goran Dragic have upside if he is as good as the Suns scouts think.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I could only give them an F if they had not used picks and filled a couple of needs. I don't like drafting for need though. This isn't the NFL. These players clearly have little upside and only moderate immediate impact. I'm not sure whether to go with D+ or C-

Last edited:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
C-
They actually drafted two people. However, both of those bring very little buzz and/or anticipation for the upcoming season.

At least they used their picks - that is two years in a row. That is a near miracle.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got a backup center who won't contribute much. Another player (guard) who the Suns knew wouldn't play this year and was not highly regarded in this draft. Oh and traded another future draft pick. Those 2 moves smack of more cost saving measures from the Suns.

How exactly did the Suns fill needs?

Last time I checked we still needed a backup Point Guard, Shooter and a swing man to backup the SG/SF position. I really hope this just means the Suns are going to be active in Free Agency or in some other trades. There is nothing that has happened in this draft that will improve the Suns propositions going into next year.

If anybody thinks drafting Robin Lopez (which is basically all we got) is going to push this team over the top......good lord we are in trouble.

F+

Last edited:

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
I think throwing Kerr into the GM position without any experience was a mistake. They should have promoted Griffin instead, who learned a couple of years under BC. Part of the GM game is networking with other GMs, misdirection, and crafty negotiating which all come with experience. This is the 2nd year where other GMs have said the Suns are overvaluing their players and asking for the moon.

I hope Kerr really knows what he's doing and now that he has a coach that will play his picks, we'll really be able to rate him as a GM.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I gave them a D. They got Robin Lopez who couldn't score when the entire defense was focusing on his brother. He's weak, un-athletic, and a 10th man his entire career at best. I would've much rather have taken a risk on a player who might boom or bust than a player who will almost assuredly just be junk.

I like that they got a backup PG in Dragic, but I haven't seen him play other than on YouTube clips, so I can't be that excited. Plus they had to give up the player they picked, a future 2nd rounder AND cash for him, and he might be stuck in Europe next year? Its pretty sad that Kerr and Co weren't able to move up in front of the Spurs all damned night.

I'm sure someone's going to chime in with something like "it takes more than wanting to in order to move up", which is true, but why has Kerr failed to do it every time he's tried so far? Clearly this guy is in over his head (which we knew the moment the KT trade happened last year).

I hope they can somehow buy Dragic out and get his butt over here this off season. Hopefully Majerle will stick DJ Strawberrys butt in a corner all summer and teach him to shoot the three and Robin Lopez will hit the gym and at least be a handful of fouls per game.

The Suns still need a SF who can shoot the 3 and defend the wing, James Jones would be a great choice, but probably too pricey. Ideally, barring any creative trades the Suns lineup will be:

Nash/Garic
Bell/LB/Giricek/Strawberry
Hill/James Jones/Tucker
Stoudemire/Diaw
O'Neal/Skinner/Lopez

I doubt it though, that'll likely put them into luxury tax land and instead of guys like Skinner, Giricek, and James Jones we'll have more Piatkowski's and Marks'.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
he might be stuck in Europe next year?

That's exactly why they drafted him. So they wouldn't have to pay another 2nd rounder. They already have Tucker and Strawberry on the books. They didn't want another young PG that won't see the light of day on the court.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? DJ Strawberry is a shooting guard and Alando Tucker is a Small Forward.

DJ came in for spot minutes at the PG position. They have also practiced with him in that spot. Tucker yes is a SF but the Suns have said several times they think Strawberry could play PG in this league.

When I was talking about these 2 guys anyway, I was speaking in general terms. The Suns already have 2 young guys on the roster "under development". They don't want a 3rd on this roster. So, you draft a guy you know won't play this year. It saves cap space.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Maybe, but it does seem weird that the Suns would send $1.2 million to San Antonio just to hope they don't have to pay the kid this year (I know that his salary would hit the cap, and probably mean the Suns would have to pay him twice, but it still seems odd).

DJ did play a few spot minutes at PG for the Suns, but that was only because their PG situation was such a mess last year. I like DJ a lot and think his ceiling could be somewhere near that of a Raja Bell type, tenacious defender, with a limited offensive skill set (DJs going to need to learn to shoot the 3 to stay on the court though).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
there are a lot of "B" grades. i'd like to hear those opinions and rationalizations. all we're getting are the "Ds" and "Fs." I was a D, btw. not only did we not get value, we didn't get immediate impact or long term potential. and kerr failed to move up in the first, failed to procure another first, failed to get that early second, and seemingly gotten taken to the cleaners to move up 3 spots (an additional 2nd AND cash???).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are a lot of "B" grades. i'd like to hear those opinions and rationalizations. all we're getting are the "Ds" and "Fs." I was a D, btw. not only did we not get value, we didn't get immediate impact or long term potential. and kerr failed to move up in the first, failed to procure another first, failed to get that early second, and seemingly gotten taken to the cleaners to move up 3 spots (an additional 2nd AND cash???).

When you get the players that you want in a draft, I think that is a "B." Whether or not these players pan out is a different story.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get the players that you want in a draft, I think that is a "B." Whether or not these players pan out is a different story.

Did they really get the player they wanted though? I have yet to hear a team say on draft day "we didn't get the guy we wanted and had to settle on this guy". It's usually something we will never know. If ultimately Lopez was the 4 of 5 guy they wanted...I am not sure I would call that getting who they wanted. The draft is a weird entity in itself...that's for sure.

I think it's fair to grade the draft based on whether or not you improved your team and filled need.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If just Dragic could over now and live up to his billing as a quality PG, I would give the Suns draft an "A." I'm being a bit sarcastic here but not by much. I've always thought the Suns biggest hole the past several years was at the backup PG position. When Nash went to the bench the Suns went splat. Nash has just been worn into the ground because he is the only one who can run the Suns offense and opposing teams know it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they really get the player they wanted though? I have yet to hear a team say on draft day "we didn't get the guy we wanted and had to settle on this guy". It's usually something we will never know. If ultimately Lopez was the 4 of 5 guy they wanted...I am not sure I would call that getting who they wanted. The draft is a weird entity in itself...that's for sure.

I think it's fair to grade the draft based on whether or not you improved your team and filled need.

Those KTAR radio announcers on the Gambo and Ash show had Robin Lopez penciled in for the Suns all evening and even said the Suns were after Dragic before they went off the air. They didn't waiver. Maybe we cannot agree who we wanted the Suns to draft but it seems certain the Suns knew who they wanted.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those KTAR radio announcers on the Gambo and Ash show had Robin Lopez penciled in for the Suns all evening and even said the Suns were after Dragic before they went off the air. They didn't waiver. Maybe we cannot agree who we wanted the Suns to draft but it seems certain the Suns knew who they wanted.

Let's hope the Suns did their homework. At least the Suns have a history of drafting guys from lower positions and they turn into something more then what everybody had figured.

I just hope the Kerr factor doesn't muck that up.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
For those that voted B, how would you vote Indiana, Portland, Milwaukee?

Because I see a Grand Canyon sized gap between those with an A on their report card, and the Phoenix Suns.

B is a not a very well thought out choice. Dont get me started on the A voters.

They get a C from me for: Trying to improve, failing to improve, staying the course with what they could once they failed.

C = average

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those that voted B, how would you vote Indiana, Portland, Milwaukee?

Because I see a Grand Canyon sized gap between those with an A on their report card, and the Phoenix Suns.

B is a not a very well thought out choice. Dont get me started on the A voters.

They get a C from me for: Trying to improve, failing to improve, staying the course with what they could once they failed.

C = average

I'd give Indiana, Portland, Milwaukee an A. There wasn't an A+ option. We aren't grading on a Bell curve.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are somewhat correct, ujustgotsunds. I voted A without thinking at all. It is just a poll.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort