Suns Draft Grades

What is your grade for the Suns draft selections

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Except for the fact that B leaves no room between portland and phoenix, and I cant fathom how you dont see any teams between those two. I also cant fathom how youre taking into account the attempts the FO made to improve with absolutely nothing coming to fruition, and still give them a B. They tried and failed on multiple accounts, and I cannot see that being above average.

I think many of us are used to the US school grading system where you can do enough to get by and get A's.

What are you talking about? Since when did Portland enter the equation? I would give them an A for this draft, so I'm not even sure what you're talking about.

How does getting a 7-footer whose specialty is in the defensive end NOT trying to improve? Do you even understand that one of the Suns' goals was to get a defensive big man?

I swear, you are making zero sense and are not backing any of it up--instead, you continue to slam other people for their opinion yet offer no substantial alternatives.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Except for the fact that B leaves no room between portland and phoenix, and I cant fathom how you dont see any teams between those two. I also cant fathom how youre taking into account the attempts the FO made to improve with absolutely nothing coming to fruition, and still give them a B. They tried and failed on multiple accounts, and I cannot see that being above average.

I think many of us are used to the US school grading system where you can do enough to get by and get A's.

Hey portland had better picks didnt they? And the suns new backup PG could be better than we know. The blazers had a nice draft, but who says there can be only one A, is this a curve? I'll give you my reason for B: I dont believe that lopez will end up as good as reported, but if he does end up better than shaq defensively AND covers the pick and role well, then its an A for the suns brass. And they still need to get a shooter to make up for not getting one int he draft. I dont see evidence that lopez is better than koufas at #15, but he may well be, time will tell. I do expect that koufas wont be an offensive bust and will create spacing where ever he goes. He also blocks 1.8 and rebounds more/minute than lopez according to the stats. Hey I hope I am wrong, the lopez>>koufas because koufas will be in the suns conference, a constant reminder if it turns out the other way around.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Since when did Portland enter the equation? I would give them an A for this draft, so I'm not even sure what you're talking about.

How does getting a 7-footer whose specialty is in the defensive end NOT trying to improve? Do you even understand that one of the Suns' goals was to get a defensive big man?

I swear, you are making zero sense and are not backing any of it up--instead, you continue to slam other people for their opinion yet offer no substantial alternatives.

Oh please, I am saying there is a broad range of success between what Portland accomplished and what Phoenix accomplished.

Giving phoenix a B leaves no room between "we had a decent draft pick but ended up dominating the draft" and "we tried an assload of trades and none went through and ended up with what we started with...so we filled a void"

They moved Josh freakin McRoberts and Jack with Rush for Bayless and Diogu. Its so heavily weighed in their favor that its eye popping. Giving phoenix a B leaves no range in between for every other team.

How is that so hard to apprehend? Do you require illustrations?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh please, I am saying there is a broad range of success between what Portland accomplished and what Phoenix accomplished.

Giving phoenix a B leaves no room between "we had a decent draft pick but ended up dominating the draft" and "we tried an assload of trades and none went through and ended up with what we started with...so we filled a void"

They moved Josh freakin McRoberts and Jack with Rush for Bayless and Diogu. Its so heavily weighed in their favor that its eye popping. Giving phoenix a B leaves no range in between for every other team.

They did fine. Pau Gasol for expirings is eye-popping. That is a typical good draft day move. You must think alot of Bayless. I think Bayless will not be alot better NBA player than Rush. But that's just me.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I vote "B" for what they had to work with. They tried to make a trade to better themselves but couldn't find a deal that worked for them.

Robin Lopez is a project but if he turns into a Varejao type player then great. It has been said that if you are going to gamble on a pick, gamble on a big because there is a bigger payoff for a legit big man.

The only thing I am disappointed in is that we didn't get Chalmers. I feel Chalmers is probably more NBA ready than Goran. Hopefully Goran is with the team next year or it will be very disappointing not to get a back up to Nash this offseason.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Maybe you should clarify your grading system--since all the grades are absolute in your world. You sound like an ESPN analyst. And we all know they're mostly a bunch of idiots.

For what Phoenix needed, they deserve B grade based on the team and how to improve it. It has NOTHING whatsoever to do with Portland. Portland had it's own team goals and in the draft, I would give them an A for addressing those goals.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, grading drafts is even less interesting than power rankings.

Want to get great ratings? Have terrible teams and get lots of premier draft picks.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.nbadraft.net/node/1307

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
You must be registered for see images

[/FONT]B

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]([/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
You must be registered for see images
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]15) Robin Lopez[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif](45) Goran Dragic (Trade)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The Suns added the other Lopez twin as Robin went just 5 spots after his bother Brook. The duo provided a lot of entertainment in their draft preview segments as well as their draft interviews. Hopefully the shock of being away from one another for the first time won't negatively affect their careers. Robin can focus more of his time on girlfriend Michelle Wie and won't have to suffer through watching Sex and the City with Brook. Robin is clearly the more mobile of the two, and there are some that feel he could ultimately end up the better pro. It's unclear whether Dragic will immediately join Phoenix but he's a solid European guard with both size and speed. His point guard skills and outside shooting are both areas he's working on.[/FONT]​

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-080627

Phoenix Suns Grade: B

You must be registered for see images attach
Round 1: Robin Lopez (15)

Round 2: Goran Dragic (42)

Analysis: First the good news: The Suns didn't sell or trade their first-round pick for a change. Their scouts must have been high-fiving when this pick went down. Can you imagine traveling all over the world for a year to scout players and then having your team take a pass year after year?
When the moment of truth came, Phoenix took the guy who might have been the best player available. Lopez could become an Anderson Varejao-type defensive presence.
I do like Dragic at No. 42 as a guy who could eventually find his way here to play an important role on a team.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/33458-2008-nba-draft-grades-and-recap

Phoenix Suns Grade: C 1.15 Robin Lopez, 2.48 Malik Hairston
The Suns are very confused about the direction they want to go in.
They draft Robin Lopez or should i say Side Show Bob and yes he will play defense and rebound for you 15 minutes a night but he does very little to improve your team. His upside is very limited and will never turn into a star. The Suns must think they can win the championship this year which is a joke. They need to start looking toward the future and a pick of Donte Green or Darrell Arthur would have been better. As for Hairston, he will be in this league for a very long time but he will get no run in Phoenix unless they make some moves to free up the wings.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2008-NBA-Draft-Report-Card-2956/

Phoenix Suns

Picks:
Robin Lopez (#15), traded rights to Malik Hairston (#48), a future second-round pick and cash considerations to San Antonio in exchange for draft rights to Goran Dragic (#45)

D

The Suns certainly telegraphed the fact that they’ll be taking
Robin Lopez very early on. He has the potential to be a solid backup, which, considering his size and energy level, makes him a reasonable pick at 15. The Suns will of course hope he can develop into a bit more.

What is surprising, though, is the way they handled themselves in the second round. In order to move up three measly spots from 48 to 45, the Suns traded a good player (
Malik Hairston), a future second rounder, AND cash. We realize that the Suns are serious about getting tougher and better defensively (Dragic fits the bill there), but we’re not talking about a sure-fire NBA player by any stretch, and there aren’t even any guarantees that he will want to leave Tau Vitoria for whatever the Suns offer him. We always talk about value, value, value…the Suns did not get a lot of it here.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-draftreportcards062808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

PHOENIX SUNS
Picks: Robin Lopez (No. 15); traded rights to Malik Hairston (No. 48), a future second-round pick and cash considerations to San Antonio in exchange for draft rights to Goran Dragic (No. 45).

Grade: D

The Suns certainly telegraphed the fact that they’ll be taking Robin Lopez very early on. He has the potential to be a solid backup, which, considering his size and energy level, makes him a reasonable pick at 15. The Suns will hope he can develop into a bit more.
What is surprising, though, is the way the Suns handled themselves in the second round. In order to move up three measly spots from 48 to 45, they traded a player (Malik Hairston), a future second-rounder AND cash. We realize the Suns are serious about getting tougher and better defensively (Dragic fits the bill there), but we’re not talking about a sure-fire NBA player by any stretch, and there aren’t even any guarantees that he will want to leave Tau Vitoria for whatever the Suns offer him. We always talk about value, value, value. The Suns did not get a lot of it here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is surprising, though, is the way the Suns handled themselves in the second round. In order to move up three measly spots from 48 to 45, they traded a player (Malik Hairston), a future second-rounder AND cash. We realize the Suns are serious about getting tougher and better defensively (Dragic fits the bill there), but we’re not talking about a sure-fire NBA player by any stretch...

That's exactly it. There are not any sure-fire players in the second round. So if the Suns really like Dragic, I would rather they roll the dice than hope opportunity comes knocking.