Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker was confirmed not to be the #1 guy the team was toast.

When was this confirmed? Booker has outscored and out produced Durant as the #1 here in the last 2 postseasons. He didn't need someone to be the #1, he needed a better #2. KD isn't that because they're too busy trying to assert themselves as the #1. When Booker had someone willing to defer to him as a #2 we made the finals.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I liked the fact they swung for the fences, I agree they overpaid by a lot, the trade hasn't worked and there is a slim chance it ever will. Next season will likely end like the last, they'll blow it up and start over from scratch.

Using football terminology, I would have preferred the Suns hit three wide open receivers for 15 yards each than attempt a 60 yard pass play that blew up in their faces.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
When was this confirmed? Booker has outscored and out produced Durant as the #1 here in the last 2 postseasons. He didn't need someone to be the #1, he needed a better #2. KD isn't that because they're too busy trying to assert themselves as the #1. When Booker had someone willing to defer to him as a #2 we made the finals.

For me it was the Mavericks series.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One year ago, almost to the day, the notion on this board was that Devin Booker is better than everyone thought and he was an absolute playoff assassin. He was in a run of some of the most efficient playoff scoring in league history. Right up until a dirty Jeff Green foul in game 5, the Nuggets had no answer for anything Booker did.

Recency bias is pretty wild.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Even with Bookers 49 point game in the Min. series Booker still averages 5ppg less in elimination games than his career average. Booker is a great player, I just don't think we can win a championship with him being our best player.

+/-
2021 Mil: -15
2022 Dal: -41
2023 Den: -27
2024 Min: +1

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody had a crystal ball. Majority of the NBA thought this team would contend. This team was going nowhere as built and last time I checked the goal was still a title.

Trading for KD hasn’t worked but at least they did something. I can’t fault them for trying something.
Trying something stupid should be faulted.

Reusing to admit it has failed should really be faulted, because doubling down on stupid is twice as stupid.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with Bookers 49 point game in the Min. series Booker still averages 5ppg less in elimination games than his career average. Booker is a great player, I just don't think we can win a championship with him being our best player.

+/-
2021 Mil: -15
2022 Dal: -41
2023 Den: -27
2024 Min: +1
I think Booker can be the best player on a championship team but not ours and it would have to be a fairly loaded roster. However, IMO we can't get there while Devin is still in his prime with the front office mistakes of the past decade. But give him this same rotation and add a Mikal, a motivated DA plus a TJ McConnell type PG to it and that team would be a real force. And we could have built something like that if we hadn't drafted so poorly and made better personnel decisions along the way.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying something stupid should be faulted.

Reusing to admit it has failed should really be faulted, because doubling down on stupid is twice as stupid.
It's only stupid because it hasn't worked. Nobody would be saying boo if it did. It was a big risk and it looks like it won't pan out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's only stupid because it hasn't worked. Nobody would be saying boo if it did. It was a big risk and it looks like it won't pan out.
Not true. We'd all overlook the negatives of the deal if we won it all but it was a horrible decision and that won't change. Had we traded for an aging superstar that was under contract for 1 or 2 years, I could see taking such a huge risk. But giving them full value for a player who was never going to be worth more than a small fraction of his remaining contract is just a bad decision no matter what follows.

And I could care less if you or any other fan wants to hold firm to the idea that it was a "risk worth taking". We're all just fans. I'm not mad at you or the other fans that would take such a huge gamble in an effort to win a title. I'm pissed that the people at the top of the franchise are arrogantly doubling down on their stupidity.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true. We'd all overlook the negatives of the deal if we won it all but it was a horrible decision and that won't change. Had we traded for an aging superstar that was under contract for 1 or 2 years, I could see taking such a huge risk. But giving them full value for a player who was never going to be worth more than a small fraction of his remaining contract is just a bad decision no matter what follows.

And I could care less if you or any other fan wants to hold firm to the idea that it was a "risk worth taking". We're all just fans. I'm not mad at you or the other fans that would take such a huge gamble in an effort to win a title. I'm pissed that the people at the top of the franchise are arrogantly doubling down on their stupidity.
Not buying it at least in the short term. Everybody would be celebrating a title. You are talking about franchise that's been around for 50+ years. Sure it would hurt a bit down the road but overall people would be happy not the other way around that we finally have one. It's the entire point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not buying it at least in the short term. Everybody would be celebrating a title. Sure it would hurt a bit down the road but overall people would be happy not the other way around.
You're not reading every word, I already acknowledged that. Of course I will celebrate a title. But there isn't a chance in hell that I will ever believe we made the right decision. I believe we overpaid and had we waited just a few hours we could have made that deal and hung onto a couple of the picks we gave away or at least put protection in place for the future picks.

KD has played pretty well for us but he isn't the player he used to be. That's been the case since he returned from his Achilles repair, great numbers but no longer the force he was in OKC and GS. He isn't the mid-career superstar that can elevate an average team to greatness.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I think Booker can be the best player on a championship team but not ours and it would have to be a fairly loaded roster. However, IMO we can't get there while Devin is still in his prime with the front office mistakes of the past decade. But give him this same rotation and add a Mikal, a motivated DA plus a TJ McConnell type PG to it and that team would be a real force. And we could have built something like that if we hadn't drafted so poorly and made better personnel decisions along the way.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not reading every word, I already acknowledged that. Of course I will celebrate a title. But there isn't a chance in hell that I will ever believe we made the right decision. I believe we overpaid and had we waited just a few hours we could have made that deal and hung onto a couple of the picks we gave away or at least put protection in place for the future picks.

KD has played pretty well for us but he isn't the player he used to be. That's been the case since he returned from his Achilles repair, great numbers but no longer the force he was in OKC and GS. He isn't the mid-career superstar that can elevate an average team to greatness.
Fair enough but winning a title would justify the move for me. Full stop. I said that from the start that winning or not winning a title would determine if the risk was a good or a bad one. I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody after we win a title saying they wish the trade had never happened (along with a title not happening). I am just hoping the front office is done going after aging stars. Have we not seen enough? I don't want the Suns to be the place where old stars come to finish their careers.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
saw draymond say this last night when he was with barkley and shaq - looks like nurk saw it too

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
saw draymond say this last night when he was with barkley and shaq - looks like nurk saw it too

Draymond is such a scumbag. He knows the Suns have Nurk, he's just being an ass because the only way he can play against him is to get rough and suspended.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nurkic should never talk any smack with Draymond. It’s embarrassing that he thinks he’s got standing in any way over a 4 time champ and possible HOFer.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nurkic should never talk any smack with Draymond. It’s embarrassing that he thinks he’s got standing in any way over a 4 time champ and possible HOFer.
Why are you upset with this? Is Nurk accusing him of not being a 4-time champ? Having won a title doesn't give that crapbag the right to literally attack Nurk like he did. And don't forget, Draymond has attacked Nurk BOTH physically and verbally.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
draymond is definitely better than nurk at basketball but draymond is definitely afraid of nurk irl - that's what nurks jokes are all about - that and draymond needing help and attention

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok so you agree it didn't pan out, so why are they looking to run it back again? That's my point.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so you agree it didn't pan out, so why are they looking to run it back again? That's my point.
I agree it hasn't panned out and likely won't pan out. I can't answer why the Suns are doing anything. However, if they are running it back we can't change anything. So, why pretend otherwise?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz