Sundevils play USC at 12:30!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Most of it was just venting but there still should be plenty of blame to go around. There were absolutely no adjustments to the Trojan running game (and I mean none), The play calling was innane at points (the draw on 4th and inches for instance), and we generally seemed unprepared for the 2nd half.

USC is a damn good football team but a top 15 team should never (and I mean NEVER) be outscored 35-7 in a half on their home field. No excuse for that ineptness

Unfortunately, the Devils were let down by there top guys...Hagen, Keller and Koetter. The Keller-Hagen patty-cake INT was unbelievable. The fourth down call was atrocious and showed why I have never really liked Koetter as a coach. In that situation you HAVE to get the first down if you go for it. You cannot screw around against a top opponent like that. It was six stinking inches. QB sneak and move the chains. But, no. Instead Koetter has to get cute and try to hit a home run by calling a trap play for Burgess. :mad:

It's just amazing that the two Trojans tailbacks got 350 yards rushing!!!!!!

HooverDam

Reaction score
Yah it sounds like that 4th down play was a bad call by Koetter (again I didnt see it). We need to use one of our bigger running backs or fullback or something to just pound out 3rd/4th and short situations. Also, Koetter shouldnt have kneed to end the half. I was at the ASU-USC game in LA last year, PC never knees it, go for the kill. I hope Koetter learns his lesson.

Anyone know if ASU has any transfer RBs coming in next year or some hot big running recruits? We need a running game to eat up clock and keep teams like USC off the field.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Yah it sounds like that 4th down play was a bad call by Koetter (again I didnt see it). We need to use one of our bigger running backs or fullback or something to just pound out 3rd/4th and short situations. Also, Koetter shouldnt have kneed to end the half. I was at the ASU-USC game in LA last year, PC never knees it, go for the kill. I hope Koetter learns his lesson.

Anyone know if ASU has any transfer RBs coming in next year or some hot big running recruits? We need a running game to eat up clock and keep teams like USC off the field.

running games have little do with the backs. Herring is an awesome runner anyone can see it. Running is about the line. And USC's line is better than ASU period.

guys this is not Oregon ASU just played here, let's keep some perspective. I am pissed like anyone else but 18 pts ain't crap in terms of cushion in college football when your opponent averages 60.

AJ in all due respect you are knowledgable about pro football so stick with losers like the Cardinals, they like to change coaches every 2 years it really makes a difference in your mind so you will get your coaching change fix there..No O or D line so blame the skill players and the coach well that's the big red fan's way.

Dirk has done a great job bring some respectability back to ASU after synder was running off 6-5 seasons every year, he needs the players to get over that next level into the top 10 and he does not have them right now. ASU start a freaking FB at end for gods sakes, It takes time to build a top tier program and if 6-5 to BCS titles was the norm we would have never fired synder.

Go devils

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Most of it was just venting but there still should be plenty of blame to go around. There were absolutely no adjustments to the Trojan running game (and I mean none), The play calling was innane at points (the draw on 4th and inches for instance), and we generally seemed unprepared for the 2nd half.

USC is a damn good football team but a top 15 team should never (and I mean NEVER) be outscored 35-7 in a half on their home field. No excuse for that ineptness

Well I guess we disagree I think USC could outscore every team in the top 15 35-7 at their home. I knew in my heart that 21-3 was not enough if USC could come out and score on their first possesion in the third. Halftime adjustments are abut the most overatted concept in football, maybe more so than schemes...Football is about beating your man and ASU was able to do that in the first half and not in the second...Keller's bad decsions hurt too but in the end ASU was up with 5 mins left and that D could have come up with the greatest scheme every invented and USC was going to move the ball because their line was winning the battle up frontand that is not coaching or scheme or any other crap we fans think it is, that is pure and simple superior talent.

This game was about one team outlasting another and physically dominating both sides of the line. It's that simple and I can accept getting beat by the better team today. That better team just so happens to waste about everyone they play to, there is no shame in giving USC the toughest fight they have had in a year.

I am not about moral victory's like UA fans are but come on guys let's look at the big picture here. The gap is closing ASU is clearly on pace to be 18-5 (YES I DO THINK THEY CAN WIN OUT) over it's last two seasons, more and more big time recruits are noticing and comming to ASU again (no more Tom Pace and Jeff Krohn like players) now is not the time to start over again.

go devils this one's over let's look to Oregon.

Last edited:

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
2 problems....

I've got two items to get off my chest about yesterdays game:

1. Why do you run out the clock at the end of the 1st half when you should be trying to create as much distance as possible from a team that has proven they can score in the 2nd half? There was 1:10 left in the half and USC was clearly gagging for air and shade.

2. Speaking of shade. Why was USC on the west sideline enjoying the shade in the 2nd half? Nothing more refreshing in AZ than taking a break in the shade. Why wasn't USC made to bake on the east sideleine?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
guys this is not Oregon ASU just played here, let's keep some perspective. I am pissed like anyone else but 18 pts ain't crap in terms of cushion in college football when your opponent averages 60.

AJ in all due respect you are knowledgable about pro football so stick with losers like the Cardinals, they like to change coaches every 2 years it really makes a difference in your mind so you will get your coaching change fix there..No O or D line so blame the skill players and the coach well that's the big red fan's way.

Dirk has done a great job bring some respectability back to ASU after synder was running off 6-5 seasons every year, he needs the players to get over that next level into the top 10 and he does not have them right now. ASU start a freaking FB at end for gods sakes, It takes time to build a top tier program and if 6-5 to BCS titles was the norm we would have never fired synder.

Go devils

In all due respect treesquid, take your lecture and stick it in your ear. I've followed ASU football for longer than you've been alive. I LOVE college football. I like it better than the pro game. I know as well as any fan what it takes to be a BCS contender. ASU is hamstrung by the very state they are in. They don't have the recruiting base of other schools.

So, that makes coaching even more important!!!! The last two years Koetter has been flat outcoached by Carroll and that is unacceptable! After the game last season, Koetter amazingly admitted they were "surprised" by USC's game plan. (And that was after USC had played a tough game against Cal and ASU had a bye!) For a guy who's claim to fame is his wizardy as an offensive guru that was embarassing. And, when the game turns south, he and his staff show little capacity to make adjustments.

But, you can just continue to accept mediocrity if you like, because that is what you are getting. When you have a team down by 18 at home, you should be pissed about losing, I don't care who the opponent is. He's not any better than Snyder, and that's the problem.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard