SUN DEVILS going to Hawaii

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is true. We will lose money by going to Hawaii. We would have made money if we went to either San Fran or Vegas.

The money we get from the conference is an entirely different story. SC will get the rest of the PAC a good chunk of change and will result in us getting a profit.

Which is why all conferences have some kind of revenue sharing for bowls. Otherwise, lots of schools would take a pass on the smaller bowls.

I know for a fact that ALL basketball revenue is split 10 ways. So, in that case, Arizona is carrying most of the conference.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank god for USC, can you imagine what this conference would look like over the past five years without them? I really don't think there has been one Pac-10 school other than the Trojans that has consistently looked good from a national perspective.

If you go over 5 years I'd have to say Oregon has been the second most consistent. But, they've faded badly over the last half of the season the past two or three years.

You're right. USC is the only true power in college football that the PAC 10 has. UofA has been the only consistent one in basketball, but UCLA seems to be returning to form.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Which is why all conferences have some kind of revenue sharing for bowls. Otherwise, lots of schools would take a pass on the smaller bowls.

I know for a fact that ALL basketball revenue is split 10 ways. So, in that case, Arizona is carrying most of the conference.

I fully understand the bowl revenue sharing amongst conference teams. I was simply stating that we will lose money by going to the Aloha Bowl which is a fact. If we could have gone to Vegas or Cali we would have made money. In Kevin Whites last couple years at ASU, we went to the Aloha Bowl 2 years in a row. He made it very public after the 2nd one that while the Aloha Bowl is fun to play in, it is also very expensive.

Arizona does contribute a lot in revenue in basketball but they don't carry the PAC. USC truly carries the PAC10 in football but in basketball, UA has always had competition in the PAC. It was Stanford for years and now it's UCLA and Washington.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
If you go over 5 years I'd have to say Oregon has been the second most consistent. But, they've faded badly over the last half of the season the past two or three years.

You're right. USC is the only true power in college football that the PAC 10 has. UofA has been the only consistent one in basketball, but UCLA seems to be returning to form.

Tie between Oregon and Cal. Neither can get over the hump though

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back on topic, since we're going to Hawaii I'm glad we're playing Hawaii. There will be a decent crowd and it will sound like they care. Which is not usually the case with those Hawaii bowl games.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Back on topic, since we're going to Hawaii I'm glad we're playing Hawaii. There will be a decent crowd and it will sound like they care. Which is not usually the case with those Hawaii bowl games.

We'll see how good our d is against one of the best offenses and qb's in the country. Still wish we could have played Florida St but whatever. Go Devils!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tie between Oregon and Cal. Neither can get over the hump though

I was giving a slight edge to Oregon because they made it into the Fiesta Bowl one of those years. But, nationally, you're right. I don't think people would see much difference between them.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see how good our d is against one of the best offenses and qb's in the country. Still wish we could have played Florida St but whatever. Go Devils!

I'd have rather played Florida St. too. And, it's always dicey, at best, as to how well a team will play for a lame duck coach.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont care what bowl game it is ill be watching and cherring the devils on atleast it will be more exciting then watching the Cardinals :)

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Was kinda hoping they'd go to the Las Vegas Bowl so I could make the 5 hour trip to support them, but none the less, the Hawai'i Bowl versus a guy who's probably going to be a top 5 Heisman Finalist and a team currently in the Top 25 might be a nice little send off for Dirk.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What he was saying was right on. I'm not sure why you are laughing? It's your choice to watch the game but I think his point is as a fan of the team, he will watch no matter what (Crappy coaching staff included). Think of it as an end of an Era! It can only get better right? :)

Hawaii is a great team. Look at their Qb's stats. They's only lost to Auburn and Boise. I think they beat ASU.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1168146&postcount=7

Usually being a jack ass, and telling people they aren't fans earns you a time out.

But since this forum is lawless.....let's have some fun.

I don't any of these other two "devil" fans are even over 21. If they are, they probably got about a 32 on their ACTs.

Here's why I'm a fan (fandom in college has nothing to do with stupid ball games.....hey you two, did you watch the Stanford game?)

Alumni
Booster
Recruited by Snyder
In the Athletic Program

I wonder if these 2 children can even get into ASU. Not like it's hard.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Usually being a jack ass, and telling people they aren't fans earns you a time out.

I don't any of these other two "devil" fans are even over 21. If they are, they probably got about a 32 on their ACTs.

Here's why I'm a fan (fandom in college has nothing to do with stupid ball games.....hey you two, did you watch the Stanford game?)

Alumni
Booster
Recruited by Snyder
In the Athletic Program

I am a fan and an alum. I won't watch it either, most likely.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score

Alumni
Booster
Recruited by Snyder
In the Athletic Program

Wow, that was a classy post. Not sure what your so butt hurt about, I simply stated that fans of a team actually watch their bowl games.

Anyways, I grew up an avid ASU fan, am an ASU alum (went there from 2001-2005), played a sport and lettered all 4 years for ASU, and majored in marketing.

All this coming from the same guy who says he doesn't like ASU fans, doesn't really care if we win or lose to UofA, and even hoped UofA beat us last week so they could "throw egg all over our face." We have a totally different definition of what it means to be a "fan" of a team. I thought the basis for being a fan of a team is, I don't know, maybe watching your team play, cheering with fellow fans, hoping to God that you beat your rival....... Thats just a start. If it floats your boat to call yourself a fan cause you have a diploma and write checks to the AD, so be it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calling out others for not being fans will earn you a short rest - Nidan

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Plain and simple...You're not a fan, if you root against your team, refuse to watch your team, and root for the rival of your team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort