Stupid (maybe not so stupid) idea

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don’t know if this would even be legal in the NFL, but here’s my idea to get Payton and also stick it to the Saints.

Sign Payton to be your HC starting in 2024. With Murray’s injury, next year is pretty much a lost cause anyway.

Promote one of the assistants to interim head coach for next year with Payton set to take over in ‘24.

The Cards get their guy, secure 2 top 5 drafts picks(since they’ll be horrible next year) and the Saints get nothing.

I like it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t. After you get rid of the “interim” coach you still have to have your minority interviews. If you already have the white guy HC ready to go for 2024 you’d be screwed legally in a massive lawsuit I’m betting. I’m sure a bunch or prospective minority coaches would jump on that lawsuit. (As they should)

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i believe Payton is signed through the 2024 season

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...but the fact remains that SP cant coach another team until 2025 without compensating the saints.
Ok then take his hypothetical and call it 2025 ;)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Ok then take his hypothetical and call it 2025 ;)
Puppet coach... on game days his head set links to SP who is sitting at home watching on tv.
We can pull that off.
Nfl does futures contracts right?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would there be any rules broken if Payton resigned (quit) as NO HC and sign deal with ARZ to be HC? I couldn’t find anything.

I guess maybe a clause in an NFL coaches contract indicates it can’t be done to prevent coaches from doing it regularly?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Would there be any rules broken if Payton resigned (quit) as NO HC and sign deal with ARZ to be HC? I couldn’t find anything.

I guess maybe a clause in an NFL coaches contract indicates it can’t be done to prevent coaches from doing it regularly?
He's still under contract. If you resign then sign with someone else, they still had a guaranteed contract with you.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Saints own his rights. He cannot work in the nfl in any capacity without compensation to the saints until the contract expires.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Lol not a bad idea. But I’d bet he would want to have his choice of other teams next year if he has to wait a year.

gmartin

Reaction score
SP should tell the Saints he wants to return as their HC, but let Mickey know that maybe he wouldn't care if they go 0 and 17. And then proceed to do everything possible to force Mickey to fire him.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The bottom line to all of this is if Payton’s the best choice pay him. Pay the Saints and take the hit for a couple of years. Build up young talent through what’s left of the draft, then go forward. This is hard to imagine, but suppose the Cards actually had a great coach under contract and someone tried to hire him away. How would you feel? The actual way to do this is for coaches to give up some salary in exchange for voidable contract years like the MLB players do. They’ve been greedy to get these giant contracts. They tire of the position and want to change, but they don’t want to pay the price of giving up those guaranteed huge dollars. The Saints took the gamble and are right to demand picks as compensation for committing to the contract in the first place. If that cost Payton a spot, that‘s what he signed up for. He knew the rules when he committed. It makes him less attractive.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Ok why would Payton want to come to a team with no 1st round picks? Beyond money

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok why would Payton want to come to a team with no 1st round picks? Beyond money
It’s not like they would never have first round picks ever again. Likely only the one year. He would understand it is the cost of allowing him to coach before the contract expires.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It’s not like they would never have first round picks ever again. Likely only the one year. He would understand it is the cost of allowing him to coach before the contract expires.
I think they settle for a second this year and a first next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn