Stoudemire on future with Suns: 'Nothing's solid'

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
PHOENIX (AP) -- Amare Stoudemire is puzzled by the Phoenix Suns' plans, and isn't sure he'd want to stay with the team unless they are figured out.

Stoudemire said Wednesday he is ready for next season, five months after eye surgery. But he doesn't know if he'll be with the Suns, who have been fielding trade offers for their All-Star power forward.
"Nothing's solid," said Stoudemire, who had surgery to repair a torn retina in February. "That's what's crazy about the situation is that there's no solid decision right now. I don't think nobody knows. From a player standpoint, nobody knows what's going on, so it's difficult for us right now to focus on our approach to the upcoming season because we don't know who's going to be here."
Stoudemire can become a free agent after next season, but said he'd like to remain with the team that drafted him in the first round in 2002 -- as long as the Suns are contenders. Phoenix missed the playoffs last season.
"Right now, it all depends on what team I decide I want to go to," Stoudemire said. "If I want to sign an extension with a mediocre team -- probably not. I'll sign an extension with a team that has a future. You follow what I'm saying? The ball is in their court now."
Seeking to cut payroll, the Suns listened to offers for both Stoudemire and Shaquille O'Neal before the trade deadline in February. They finally traded O'Neal to the Cleveland Cavaliers last month, and there have been reports that they also could move Stoudemire.
He believes he deserves a maximum extension, and thinks he knows why the Suns haven't offered one.
"I think one: currency," he said. "I think that's one reason why a lot of decisions around here are being made. I think two, just from the simple fact of them not seeing me play the last 30 games of last season. But history proves that I've bounced back from injuries better than anyone ever in this league, so I'm going to do it again."

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/07/08/suns.stoudemire.ap/index.html

Blackification

Registered
Reaction score
The article about it AZcentral just posted is much better.

Stoudemire clarified or reasserted points that he is healthy, wants to stay in Phoenix, does not want to play for Golden State and wants a maximum-level contract extension. Stoudemire is eligible for an extension before the season starts and can opt out of his current contract's final season (2010-11) next summer if his deal is not extended.

"I'll sign an extension with a team that has a future. The ball is in midcourt right now. It's on both sides. We have to come to an (agreement) here and figure out what's best for both of us. If I had to re-sign with a mediocre team, it would be here. Because I'm here. I've been here my whole career. And I would love to bring the Suns back to where we once were. That's my ultimate goal, a la Paul Pierce. He did it with Boston. He stuck around. Boston took care of him. They made the right decision to bring in Garnett and a few other players and they won a championship. Hopefully, we can do the same here."
He repeated what his agent had said on his behalf recently in response to the talks with Golden State.
"It's all about winning," Stoudemire said. "Why go to Golden State and try to rebuild there when I can stay here and rebuild here? The situation didn't make total sense to me. I think the Suns are trying to make the best decision for them so I've got to deal with it."

And where will that be? He said none of the players know what is going on with the team.
"I would love to stay here but it's not my decision," he said.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/07/08/20090708sunsonline.html

Kind of a long article but those are just the stuff I thought were most important. Pretty much more of the same but now we know amare stopped the golden state talks.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
"I'll sign an extension with a team that has a future. The ball is in midcourt right now. It's on both sides. We have to come to an (agreement) here and figure out what's best for both of us. If I had to re-sign with a mediocre team, it would be here. Because I'm here. I've been here my whole career. And I would love to bring the Suns back to where we once were. That's my ultimate goal, a la Paul Pierce. He did it with Boston. He stuck around. Boston took care of him. They made the right decision to bring in Garnett and a few other players and they won a championship. Hopefully, we can do the same here."

He is spot on with this statement. Organizations have hit rock bottom, only to see them rise quickly to the top, and GM's have saved their asses for it. The Celtics are the prime example of this, also the Lakers. If Amare is true to his words, then the organization should reciprocate, promise to build a winner and give him a max contract. Otherwise, trade him before the deadline and get some picks/prospects and make the recovery a five year project.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He believes he deserves a maximum extension, and thinks he knows why the Suns haven't offered one.
"I think one: currency," he said. "I think that's one reason why a lot of decisions around here are being made. I think two, just from the simple fact of them not seeing me play the last 30 games of last season. But history proves that I've bounced back from injuries better than anyone ever in this league, so I'm going to do it again."

Awesome

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No mention of of his lack of defense or his night disappearing on the boards as a factor in why the Suns don't want to pay him the max. I wonder if he thinks he knows that.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Yeah, I got a good laugh out of it. Amare is definitely not mensa, but he does say some funny stuff. His interviews have gotten progressively better over time.

It seems the plan is to keep Stat until at least the All Star break. I suppose that should be a good enough amount of time to determine whether or not he is worth a max contract.

If forced now, I would probably still give him a max extension. Sure, he has some question marks, but almost every NBA player does. Regardless of his defensive flaws, he is a force offensively, and one of the most efficient scorers in the league.

Why not take a chance to build around him, and pick up pieces like Tyson Chandler? Unless we can get a great package for Stat, it doesn't seem like a terrible option.

cly2tw

Reaction score
seems to be a good interview for the Suns if Amare is willing to do Pierce. At least, he doesn't seem to hold it against Suns too much for trying to trade him to GS. The bad point is, with this attitude, Suns aren't gonna get sufficient asset back if they still want to trade him this season. The good point is, due to expected reduction of salary cap, the FA max deal will go down so that Suns would have a much better chance to at least do a sign and trade to get value back even if he opted out and gone.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Stoudemire is willing to return to playing center, a position he once was strongly opposed to playing. He noted how the Suns teams had 62-win and 61-seasons with him there.

That is the key for me. Is he a top ten PF? Arguable. Would Amare be a top ten, or arguably a top 5 center? Definitely! He needs to become an NBA center and forget the PF stuff, unless Phoenix falls on it's A$$ and lucks into a real center somehow. If we do Amare at starting center with Lopez off the bench, we are actually decent, I didn't say great, but decent at the center position. I have always thought Amare's future was at center for the Suns.

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
That is the key for me. Is he a top ten PF? Arguable. Would Amare be a top ten, or arguably a top 5 center? Definitely! He needs to become an NBA center and forget the PF stuff, unless Phoenix falls on it's A$$ and lucks into a real center somehow. If we do Amare at starting center with Lopez off the bench, we are actually decent, I didn't say great, but decent at the center position. I have always thought Amare's future was at center for the Suns.

Amare playing center is ok if you have great defensive pieces around him, who can not only help him but also get back on their man after the help (I was always amazed watching the Cavs this year compared to us, especially Lebron and Varejao, how they would ALWAYS help their guys and still be able to recover), but asking Amare to play center and then having an undersized, very poor defensive team BESIDES him being poor defensively and undersized just won't work. I mean it works against some teams obviously, but the great thing about us getting a guy like Chandler is we still have the ability to play small ball without being restricted to it.

No thanks on Amare at center, unless you can find another Dennis Rodman out there somehwere to play next to him at PF. Actually, that would be awesome. Could you imagine a prime Rodman next to Amare? Talk about yin and yang.

Beefing up a team around Amare and Steve would sound a lot more promising if there weren't 5 complete juggernauts in the league right now. I don't think it matters what we do going into next year, yeah we could be competitive, but Boston, LAL, Spurs, Cleveland and the Magic are all going to be just unbelievably good teams.. I mean, seriously, look at San Antonio's lineup.. Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, McDyess, Duncan? Good God. I was all for trying to retool around the guys we have, but honestly even though we're going to get 60 cents on the dollar for him it's probably in the best interests for our future to trade Amare.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't blame him for his comments, he is just stating the obvious. Everyone knows PHX is shopping him and will trade him if they get a good offer, he knows they won't extend him because they are in cost cutting mode. I wouldn't want to play for GS either, Nellie is a nut job and that franchise is going nowhere even with Amare. PHX is in a no win situation and the league knows it, teams will just bid on Amare when he opts out next year instead of offering PHX anything descent. Their best move is to keep him, trade for Chandler and sign either Hill or Marion but they won't because they are watching their pennies. I am sure Steve Nash will not sign an extension unless they bring in some more talent, money be damned.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Pierce comment is accurate and fair... but Pierce never had the same injury issues as Stoudemire, Celtics decision to extend him MAX was a lot easier than currently with the Suns...

No contenders will trade for him at the moment. Maybe the Jazz... but they dont really need him.

And its pretty easy to demand to make the Suns a contender, considering its not his money they will use.....in the end Sarver willing to pay $30 Million dollars (including luxury tax) over the cap to have a 5% chance of winning the championship...

Considering Lakers are STACKED, Spurs have re-tooled well, Celtics are back to health, Cavs are stronger, Blazers are improving, Magic are complete.... those teams are 2 levels higher than the Suns at the moment, with Stoudemire extended and Nash too.

Sarver and Kerr are pretty much admitting NO POINT spending that much cash as the chances of going all the way isnt very high.

Add Chandler or anyone else... and the Suns are still far behind Lakers, Spurs out West. And If you include the East.... Suns look to be in the top 8 but with a really small chance of championship.

Its either VERY VERY GOOD chance of championship or nothing for Sarver/Kerr.... for them to spend that much money.

Currently, as Sovereignz stated... 5 superteams that WILL beat the Suns with or without Chandler/Another center.

1a. Spurs (always owned the Suns, even with Suns prime, now Spurs look even better)
1b. Lakers (Deep team that has re-tooled, has inside and outside and toughness and SIZE)

2 Magic (Nelson, Carter, Pietrus, Lewis, Howard...... beats the Suns in 4 positions)

3 Celtics (Garnett, Pierce, Allen, Rondo, Wallace.... they own the Suns defensively without Wallace, now imagine them with Wallace...)

4 Cavs (West, Williams, James, Varejao/Hickson, O'Neal/Ilgauskas.... lol, you though Lakers were big... well Cavs are bigger.... and they have James who NO one on the Suns can even come close to "containing" its a 50 point game every game against the Suns.

5 Mavericks (Kidd/Terry, Howard, Marion, Nowitski, Gortat..... they re-tooled also, looks strong, can matcup well with Spurs but might be a bit small against the Lakers)

6 Nuggets (Billups, Smith, Anthony, Martin, Nene..... this is actually closer to Suns in terms of talent, but this team PLAYS defense and they play it hard.... good players all around too.... they have Anti-Nash in Billups who is big, strong, can match Nash offensively and stop him defensively... again Anthony... Suns have no one to match up with)

Arguably Blazers, Jazz are just slightly ahead of the Suns.... Rockets fall down big time without Ming... and Artest.

So Tell me WHY would Sarver pay extra $$$ to lose first round? When he can do nothing and get the same results...

I want to see some of the Suns fans here who think Suns should trade and lose cap flexibility to try to win a ring with so many other teams ahead of them.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I want to see some of the Suns fans here who think Suns should trade and lose cap flexibility to try to win a ring with so many other teams ahead of them.
Anybody talking about winning rings and winning playoff games at this point is delusional. Even a lineup of Nash,JRich,Hill,Marion & Stoudemire will get pummeled on the boards,and on the defensive end......been there,no thanks.
Why roll that veteran team out there to win 40 games? A pretty pathetic way to go out IMO.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No mention of of his lack of defense or his night disappearing on the boards as a factor in why the Suns don't want to pay him the max. I wonder if he thinks he knows that.

i like this quote from amare...

"I don't think nobody knows. From a player standpoint, nobody knows what's going on, so it's difficult for us right now to focus on our approach to the upcoming season because we don't know who's going to be here."

c'mon guy, you should know that your defense needs work.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Amare is one 3 Stooges Poke in the Eye from calling it a career. If I were the Suns I'd stop listening to Amare and just do what is necessary. I remember last offseason he was talking about how he was going to be a force defensively (LOL).

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Stoudemire always has an excuse for his shortcomings. The excuses change, but the shortcomings don't.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah but he can dominate the lane like no other

Highlights like that give me the urge to become Amare's "Andrew". Unfortunately the stream of the video cut out midway through and I had to go find another version, but the song was in chinese lol

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need to sign Amare and build around him. Yes, he has some shortcomings, but he has strengths no one else does.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Not worth a max contract at all. People need to regain their sanity here.

Max Contract.

MAX CONTRACT.

Salary cap and luxury cap going down.

That should explain it enough.

Paul Pierce has no real weaknesses (not terrible on D, can completely create his own shot both inside and outside, insane at getting to the fou line etc) and no big injury history. So the comparsion is equally as insane as thinking it is a great idea to offer 20 million per to Amare. How the hell do you effectively rebuild around someone with huge problems especially when you have put 1/3 your cap into that player. You don't, you just sit in mediocrity for years on end.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not worth a max contract at all. People need to regain their sanity here.

Max Contract.

MAX CONTRACT.

Salary cap and luxury cap going down.

That should explain it enough.

Paul Pierce has no real weaknesses (not terrible on D, can completely create his own shot both inside and outside, insane at getting to the fou line etc) and no big injury history. So the comparsion is equally as insane as thinking it is a great idea to offer 20 million per to Amare. How the hell do you effectively rebuild around someone with huge problems especially when you have put 1/3 your cap into that player. You don't, you just sit in mediocrity for years on end.

Paul Pierce was roundly criticized for years for being an offense only player. And Amare is a more efficient and effective offensive player that Pierce. If we had max money to go out and spend on the FA market, we would not come back with a player better than Amare. Amare, if healthy, is a max player. Period. Its not even a question.

Who else do the Suns remotely have a possibility of building around?

cly2tw

Reaction score
Paul Pierce was roundly criticized for years for being an offense only player. And Amare is a more efficient and effective offensive player that Pierce. If we had max money to go out and spend on the FA market, we would not come back with a player better than Amare. Amare, if healthy, is a max player. Period. Its not even a question.

Who else do the Suns remotely have a possibility of building around?

True. Early on, A. Walker was the bigger star than Pierce and both just kept bombing away. That's the reason why Pierce has become so proficient at creating shots and drawing fouls.