Stephen A. Smith SLAMS the Arizona Cardinals as RACIST

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Taking SAS and the race component away from the convo and just looking at the scenario, what is argument for firing a 3 win rookie HC coach after 1 year but giving another 3 win rookie HC more than one year (assuming we win 3 games)?

HC #1 had less weapons than HC #2, so HC #2 does the same with more assets.
A sadly valid point. At this point it's about saving face as an organization.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Taking SAS and the race component away from the convo and just looking at the scenario, what is argument for firing a 3 win rookie HC coach after 1 year but giving another 3 win rookie HC more than one year (assuming we win 3 games)?

Did you watch the games last year and this year? Yes we just had a bad one but mostly competitive. He did more than the same with more assets. Also, our D personnel certainly worse than last year.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Did you watch the games last year and this year? Yes we just had a bad one but mostly competitive. He did more than the same with more assets. Also, our D personnel certainly worse than last year.

Since the team has better assets than last season and so far the results are slightly better.Is it enough progress to satisfy the fans? Style points don`t count for jackshit.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Nope, I was in a coma last year. Of course I saw them. Where did I make a point one way or the other, I was asking what the logic was.

Is the offense improved, of course, but it isn't special. So you're saying we could have kept Rosen and KK would have taken out bad offense and made it mediocre like it is now? Or if KM is the reason our offense is better then it is a knock on KK because by that logic Wilks should have won more games had he had KM and the offensive assets we have this year. If you're saying it is a combo of KK and KM then it is a knock on both of them because their contributions individually were pretty marginal.

What are the key defensive pieces we lost this year you speak of?

Yes, we were not blown out of as many games, but we had 4 losses last year decided by 3 pts or less. This year we had 4 losses decided by 3 pts or less. Yes, the season isn't over so maybe we get more wins or close losses, but this same time last year we had 3 wins, same as right now.

If KK eeks out two more wins then it makes the case for him much better. But just because you made a bad offense better after getting the #1 QB and other picks on offense while making a below avg D bad doesn't make a strong case.

You could argue that KK isn't responsible for the D and the blame lays with the DC, but by that logic Wilks wouldn't have been responsible for the O since he was a defensive guy and the fault should lay with the OC, not him.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing interesting at all about this "first take." Just a loud-mouth douchebag trying to get attention, who obviously knows nothing about the history of this team, or, apparently, how awful Wilks was last year.

Exactly. It is his job to be inflammatory. That is what they are paying him for.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
He playing the race card and he is wrong. Cards have a very good history with equality for women and minorities. If a white guy made up this fake news he would be fired.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Typical lazy BS by the media. I hate admitting this but if I need background noise in the morning I will put on Skip’s show. I feel dirty...

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And then they want out and drafted a black qb number one overall? I mean I know the Cards have been inept but to not even be able to get being racist right?
Kyler Murray is mixed. Father is black & his mother is Korean. Cardinals are far from being racists. They were the first NFL team to hire an African American woman into the organization. Happened in the early 70's. No one cares about skin color, I know I don't. We just want people in this organization that wins games. Apparently Stephen A does though. I personally get tired of hearing his crap.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I get your point but rookie HC #2 has shown us some hope for the future. Not sure if the amount of extra weapons are that much better than what rookie HC #1 had? A little but not much. We lost 3 players early that would've helped this team. Philon, Alford & Gilbert. We've gotten minimal contributions from the 3 WR's drafted so far. One on IR all yr & 1 TD each from Johnson & Isabella. Basically I just don't see the extra weapons on this team you speak of?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals is one of the most progressive sports franchises in all major sports. Smith needs to lay off the weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeduh

this is actually the truth. It’s just flat out lazy journalism. If you can even call Steven A a journalist now instead of just a talking head.

Rod Graves
Denny Green
All of BA’s staff was black
First woman’s assistant coach

Come on maaaan

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also. Let’s explore this in depth. In the 99 years (or close to it) this franchise has been around, has any player, coach or staff member ever even hinted at this team being racist? I mean I have followed for 21 years and have never heard or read that.

I know you can’t fight every battle, but if I were the Cards I would want an apology from ESPN.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Since the team has better assets than last season and so far the results are slightly better.Is it enough progress to satisfy the fans? Style points don`t count for jackshit.
After last year and this being an entertainment business, I disagree.

Style points certainly do count.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
After last year and this being an entertainment business, I disagree.

Style points certainly do count.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Well I disagree.Style points are not in the standings last I looked.Right now Cards are 1/2 game better than last year with a better supporting cast than last year.A HALF GAME better.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the team that hired a black coach last year with no HC history is racist. The team that fired their white OC and promoted a black position coach, with no coordinator history, to OC to replace him is racist.

I think it's pretty apparent Wilks was not the reason Carolina's defense was good, he's gone it's hasn't fallen apart. He destroyed our defense, and Cleveland isn't exactly a great defensive team this year either.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I disagree.Style points are not in the standings last I looked.Right now Cards are 1/2 game better than last year with a better supporting cast than last year.A HALF GAME better.

This year 255 points for 351 against. Last year 225 for, 425 against. So we're allowing 29.25 PPG this year to abotu 26 last year, but we're scoring 21.25 this year to 14 last year. Given the pace we play at I would also guess the opponents are running more plays against us this year than last which probably accounts for the 3 points per game more allowed in defense. We're 50% better on offense with the only real changes being Murray for Rosen, and being healthier(this point last year we had more OL's off the street and less healthy WR's) but the offense was bad all year

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
This year 255 points for 351 against. Last year 225 for, 425 against. So we're allowing 29.25 PPG this year to abotu 26 last year, but we're scoring 21.25 this year to 14 last year. Given the pace we play at I would also guess the opponents are running more plays against us this year than last which probably accounts for the 3 points per game more allowed in defense. We're 50% better on offense with the only real changes being Murray for Rosen, and being healthier(this point last year we had more OL's off the street and less healthy WR's) but the offense was bad all year

With the drafting of the transcendent game changing Murray the offense was supposed to be better and considering Murray has a better supporting cast it damn well be better.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The results on offense aren't slightly better. You are seeing what you want to see.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The results on offense aren't slightly better. You are seeing what you want to see.

I see the same amount of wins as last year.I see a offense that looks good between the 20`s but sucks in the REDZONE.I see a team that shat a complete turd against a division rival at home.Style points might impress you but I ain`t buying it.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope, I was in a coma last year. Of course I saw them. Where did I make a point one way or the other, I was asking what the logic was.

Is the offense improved, of course, but it isn't special. So you're saying we could have kept Rosen and KK would have taken out bad offense and made it mediocre like it is now? Or if KM is the reason our offense is better then it is a knock on KK because by that logic Wilks should have won more games had he had KM and the offensive assets we have this year. If you're saying it is a combo of KK and KM then it is a knock on both of them because their contributions individually were pretty marginal.

What are the key defensive pieces we lost this year you speak of?

Yes, we were not blown out of as many games, but we had 4 losses last year decided by 3 pts or less. This year we had 4 losses decided by 3 pts or less. Yes, the season isn't over so maybe we get more wins or close losses, but this same time last year we had 3 wins, same as right now.

If KK eeks out two more wins then it makes the case for him much better. But just because you made a bad offense better after getting the #1 QB and other picks on offense while making a below avg D bad doesn't make a strong case.

You could argue that KK isn't responsible for the D and the blame lays with the DC, but by that logic Wilks wouldn't have been responsible for the O since he was a defensive guy and the fault should lay with the OC, not him.

Well how about our entire secondary is new. And the Peterson we now have back is a shell of last year's. As for the offense it is better because of KM and KK and an offensive line coach that makes a difference. In my opinion Wilks was clueless and that is what got him fired.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see the same amount of wins as last year.I see a offense that looks good between the 20`s but sucks in the REDZONE.I see a team that shat a complete turd against a division rival at home.Style points might impress you but I ain`t buying it.

Bad game against the Rams no doubt. Hell we had those the year we went to the Superbowl. I hate losing as much as anyone but I believe we found a QB and I didn't want him. Hope on offense. Long way to go on D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave