Stein Article about Nash

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-120106-08/steve-nash-future-phoenix-suns

"Nash is adamant: He will not go to his bosses and ask to be traded. The Suns likewise haven't budged: They insist they will not trade Nash unless he comes to them and says he can't bear another day detached from relevance."

"Sarver has resolved to take a lower profile and let Babby do the bulk of the talking now, which he lived up to Wednesday night by declining to be interviewed for the first time I can remember"

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm. Is it possible that an owner can actually learn and change? Its too much to hope for.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
"Sarver has resolved to take a lower profile and let Babby do the bulk of the talking now, which he lived up to Wednesday night by declining to be interviewed for the first time I can remember"
If that is an apology for overstepping his role, it is too late. As owner, he let a novice de facto GM (himself) underachieve for too long.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
"And it's not just that he's earned it, it's what we want as an organization. Maybe people say you should do this or do that, but we disagree. I think treating a player of his stature in this way is projecting the right values. As long as he wants to be a Phoenix Sun, he'll be a Phoenix Sun.
And that's what I want for him. That's what our organization wants for him. So what I told him is as long as he wants to be here and believes in what we're doing and is all in with what we're doing, we want him to stay. That's the commitment I made to him and I think we're on the same page."
~Lon Babby

I hope that Blanks and Babby can continue a steady steering of this franchise. I think some loyalty even at a supposed short term expense carries some value for a franchise.

WWJD - What Would Jerry Do

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If that is an apology for overstepping his role, it is too late. As owner, he let a novice de facto GM (himself) underachieve for too long.

What, so he might as well keep it up? Yeah, i wish he would have backed off long ago, but i will take any improvement i can get.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What, so he might as well keep it up? Yeah, i wish he would have backed off long ago, but i will take any improvement i can get.
Who said Sarver might as well keep it up? I want to see him lose interest and sell the team rather than simply taking a lower profile. Continuing to turn the Suns into a non-contender but being less vocal about it isn't going to solve the problem.

Owning a major sports franchise is not like owning a bank. The Suns are an institution as well as a business. Billions of dollars change hands in order to entertain people.

An incompetent owner saying he will take a lower profile doesn't make up for his incompetence and how he has let down the people of Arizona.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who said Sarver might as well keep it up? I want to see him lose interest and sell the team rather than simply taking a lower profile. Continuing to turn the Suns into a non-contender but being less vocal about it isn't going to solve the problem.

Owning a major sports franchise is not like owning a bank. The Suns are an institution as well as a business. Billions of dollars change hands in order to entertain people.

An incompetent owner saying he will take a lower profile doesn't make up for his incompetence and how he has let down the people of Arizona.

He is not going to sell. It just isnt going to happen. The best realistic hope is that Sarver starts to "get it."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is not going to sell. It just isnt going to happen. The best realistic hope is that Sarver starts to "get it."

I have no idea if he's going to sell but I agree, our best hope is that the light goes on for Sarver (or has gone on for Sarver). I certainly don't want to wait around in limbo while the team clears away salary and then begins the hunt for an acceptable suitor. In this market, it might take years for that to come to fruition.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no idea if he's going to sell but I agree, our best hope is that the light goes on for Sarver (or has gone on for Sarver). I certainly don't want to wait around in limbo while the team clears away salary and then begins the hunt for an acceptable suitor. In this market, it might take years for that to come to fruition.

Steve

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine he is under water with this team. I doubt he could sell if he wanted to.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

The Suns are planning to clear salary for 2012. It would seem an opportune time for the Suns either to rebuild the team or sell the team.

Selling the Suns could be Sarver's way of rebuilding the team.

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine he is under water with this team. I doubt he could sell if he wanted to.

I recall reading one of those Forbes lists of the value of NBA franchises recently and as I remember it the Suns are one of the better teams financially - ie they are turning a better overall profit than most. That's not to say that the on court product is much good, but there are a lot worse franchises out there for a potential NBA owner to buy into.

I also remember Nash tweeting during the lockout that Sarver might be selling the team in the near future. Maybe I was dreaming it though.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I recall reading one of those Forbes lists of the value of NBA franchises recently and as I remember it the Suns are one of the better teams financially - ie they are turning a better overall profit than most. That's not to say that the on court product is much good, but there are a lot worse franchises out there for a potential NBA owner to buy into.

I also remember Nash tweeting during the lockout that Sarver might be selling the team in the near future. Maybe I was dreaming it though.

I have hard time believing ANY comment like that would have been made wo being noticed and discussed here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not remember any information in regard to Sarver selling the Suns but in the early period after he bought the Suns I remember comments that made me believe that his owning the the Suns was not a long term investment. Sort of like, he would own the team for ten years or so, then move on.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do remember us talking about the Nash comment here though. IIRC, it was a fairly innocuous statement that some people chose to interpret as a suggestion that Sarver might be willing to sell. I might even have been one of those people who chose to interpret it that way but I'm too lazy to search for the thread.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
What I remember is that Nash said something very literal like, "I wouldn't have any idea what Sarver's plans are," and some people decided to read a lot more into it and get very excited.

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
What I remember is that Nash said something very literal like, "I wouldn't have any idea what Sarver's plans are," and some people decided to read a lot more into it and get very excited.

That must have been it. I knew it was too good to be true.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Everyday I open up the Suns blog brightsideofthesun.com hoping to see "Nash demands trade." Do it Steve. I love you but turn off the Suns please and let us suck enough to get a good high draft pick!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened to Lon Babby on 620 sports radio today. Reportedly Mr. Babby and Steve Nash had lunch and talked about the future sometime before the season started. As I understand it, Mr. Babby expressed to Steve that he considers him a lifetime Sun and he considered his tour in Dallas just that, a detour. Mr. Babby views Nash much in the same vein as John Stockton playing for one team and retiring with that team. Mr. Babby left wiggle room if things changed in regard to Nash such as his changing his mind and is fully cognizant of different points of view.

Also Mr. Babby understands the importance of key dates such as the trading deadline. He is also understands the importance of team chemistry which he feels is better now than last season and the importance of mentoring roles by veteran players on young players such as Markieff Morris. I do not consider Mr. Babby as being inflexible but he takes everything in a larger context than the moment. If things change I think he can adapt.

IMO, it would take Steve changing his mind about staying in Phoenix for a trade to occur or something mutual. This is my best take of the interview.
I must say if one agrees or disagrees with Lon Babby, he represents classy goals. I can understand why he was a respected agent and earned the trust of players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard