Steelers are a Bad Matchup

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
17 seasons without a losing record? Can't agree with you at all on this one.
Still think that highly of Tomlin? You should read what the true blue Steeler fans in my area are saying right now. If it were up to the fans, he would have been fired 5 years ago.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's very strange because he is a national media darling. They don't look past the surface--ooh, he's never had a losing season, he must be great! Which he was in his salad days of coaching. Nowadays? I wouldn't want him as a coach. No thanks.
Good call Stout! Since we live in Steeler country, we know what him best. My Steeler buddies are losing their minds right now. Glad you were there to enjoy it, but not sure if you stayed around because of the weather.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Still think that highly of Tomlin? You should read what the true blue Steeler fans in my area are saying right now. If it were up to the fans, he would have been fired 5 years ago.
Yeah I do. Even the greatest coach of all time loses games with horrible QB play. Him having 7 wins with this awful Steelers team makes me think he’s a legends

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I do. Even the greatest coach of all time loses games with horrible QB play. Him having 7 wins with this awful Steelers team makes me think he’s a legends
Believe what you want, but since I live in Steeler country, I know WAY MORE than you do in regards to this fraud. When you have the running game and defense that Tomlin has, you don’t lose to 2-10 teams with zero talent in the FIRST year of a complete rebuild.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes Pickett is struggling overall with his passing. Forget that. The Steelers don’t need to pass to trample the Cards. With 2 potential 1000 yard rushers this games figures to be a Cards fan‘s worst nightmare. Even if they hold early the Cards’ depleted DL will surely collapse from exhaustion by the fourth quarter. It will be painful to watch. Hopefully the offense can show some improvement to make the game worth watching. Otherwise, Custer had a better chance. Sorry!
Harry, I've been following pro football since Bert Bell was Commissioner. His famous quote was, "On Any Given Sunday". Of course that is no longer true since games are played on almost every day of the week. But it might be the reason why there are so many big shiny buildings in Las Vegas. :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
17 seasons without a losing record? Can't agree with you at all on this one.
No, he's right. He's taken masterful drafting over the years and slowly gotten worse. Ego driven and refuses to bring in coaching talent. He's definitely a master motivator but not a great coach. Even (especially) in-game, he's poor.

Stout

Reaction score
Good call Stout! Since we live in Steeler country, we know what him best. My Steeler buddies are losing their minds right now. Glad you were there to enjoy it, but not sure if you stayed around because of the weather.
I stuck through it all but ended up leaving once we scored the final TD because my Stiller fan buddy was miserable and huddling in the concourse so I took pity on him :D

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey, Stout. You take a pretty good mug shot. You should think about making it your avatar and posting the picture up in the corner.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, my beard was going white in my early 20s. I've just finally almost finished the process :D
That beard makes me think we met many years ago at a Redskins game in Washington. It was during the Plummer years. I had my oldest son with me (Cardsfanmd), but he was pretty young at the time. We got to the game early & recall seeing a Plummer jersey hoisted high up on the antenna of what I think was a truck of sorts. There were quite a few Cardinal fans hanging out & remember a burly dude with a big a$$ beard. And that was during an era, unlike today, when burly beards weren’t as popular. I just remember having a few brews & commiserating over what was about to happen lol. It’s possible that may have been the 45-42 win 98, but since my overall record being at a Cardinal game is like 3-33, it’s more possible that we lost LOL.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry, I've been following pro football since Bert Bell was Commissioner. His famous quote was, "On Any Given Sunday". Of course that is no longer true since games are played on almost every day of the week. But it might be the reason why there are so many big shiny buildings in Las Vegas. :)
I’ve heard that expression, but I find more teams lose games than win them. If you watched that game without the red zone action you’d figure the Steelers won. The Cards DL spent the first half getting pushed all over the field. The Steelers somehow forgot how the game was played as the day wore on. Philly showed everybody how to score from the one yet people insist on handing off the ball. Despite a great running game Pitt insisted on a balanced attack. Of course their stack of key injuries didn’t help. The Steelers out gained the Cards and averaged a yard more per play. Despite playing well most of the year they authored a penalty fest today. Like the Cowboys before them, they handed the game to the Cards.

This is not to say some Cards didn’t play well. They had another goal line stand. Connor was a beast. McBride is as good a TE as the game has. Forced to play Dortch, the Cards benefitted again. Murray got better as the Cards built a lead and some confidence. They had their moments but mostly the Steelers self-destructed. The game was fun, but it seemed to me more like the Steelers played poorly than the Cards played great

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve heard that expression, but I find more teams lose games than win them. If you watched that game without the red zone action you’d figure the Steelers won. The Cards DL spent the first half getting pushed all over the field. The Steelers somehow forgot how the game was played as the day wore on. Philly showed everybody how to score from the one yet people insist on handing off the ball. Despite a great running game Pitt insisted on a balanced attack. Of course their stack of key injuries didn’t help. The Steelers out gained the Cards and averaged a yard more per play. Despite playing well most of the year they authored a penalty fest today. Like the Cowboys before them, they handed the game to the Cards.

This is not to say some Cards didn’t play well. They had another goal line stand. Connor was a beast. McBride is as good a TE as the game has. Forced to play Dortch, the Cards benefitted again. Murray got better as the Cards built a lead and some confidence. They had their moments but mostly the Steelers self-destructed. The game was fun, but it seemed to me more like the Steelers played poorly than the Cards played great
The Steelers are who the Steelers are. I watch them EVERY week, and have for many years. They didn’t forget anything, we just didn’t fall prey to MISTAKES. The Steelers struggle to beat anyone when they don’t create turnovers. They had a +11 turnover margin coming into the game, and are probably the only team in NFL history to have been outgained in 10/11 games and still have a winning record. The Cardinals came into the game at -1, which is incredibly good for a 2-10 team with an extremely poor roster. And the latter told me one thing. And that told me that we have been a well coached team that for the most part, doesn’t self destruct. We’re just mainly a team in the first year of a major overhaul & rebuild. I called this to be a close game because I thought the Cardinals had a chance to NOT turn the ball over and thus fall prey to the ONLY way Pittsburgh can win games. And that’s exactly what took place. I didn’t think the zebras would let us outright win, and they tried their hardest to keep Pittsburgh in the game. But, the heart that JG has instilled in these guys, just didn’t allow the Steelers to get back in the game. Without help from their zebra friends, this was a 30 something to 3 game. And lastly, from a coaching standpoint, Tomlin got his butt handed to him by a rookie HC.

Stout

Reaction score
That beard makes me think we met many years ago at a Redskins game in Washington. It was during the Plummer years. I had my oldest son with me (Cardsfanmd), but he was pretty young at the time. We got to the game early & recall seeing a Plummer jersey hoisted high up on the antenna of what I think was a truck of sorts. There were quite a few Cardinal fans hanging out & remember a burly dude with a big a$$ beard. And that was during an era, unlike today, when burly beards weren’t as popular. I just remember having a few brews & commiserating over what was about to happen lol. It’s possible that may have been the 45-42 win 98, but since my overall record being at a Cardinal game is like 3-33, it’s more possible that we lost LOL.
Yes, indeed we did! I don't recall faces, but I remember meeting Cardsfanmd and his father, so yes. Wild!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Believe what you want, but since I live in Steeler country, I know WAY MORE than you do in regards to this fraud. When you have the running game and defense that Tomlin has, you don’t lose to 2-10 teams with zero talent in the FIRST year of a complete rebuild.
To be fair PA, Belichick is godawful this year as well, and we all know that TB was a huge reason for his success. I'm not in NE, but I don't know that the chatter for him to be shown the door is as loud as it is for Tomlin. You're in that area so you and Stout know with certainty, but I've heard some ugly slander of Tomlin that is well below the belt. This for a man that delivered a SB, and has kept them relevant despite some pretty bad rosters. I'm not his biggest fan either but I can't go the fraud route. (Even though to your point Gannon took it to him on Sunday. LOL)

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They are not an awful team.
You're right, they are mid. I think they are a TJ Watt and Dionte Johnson away from being the same level as the Titans.

That OL is horrible, run defense is soft and the secondary is filled with holes. They certainly aren't a team that should have had any thoughts about competing in the playoffs unless there were fans who got delusional about the abilities of Kenny Pickett. They are depending on players Keim got rid of years ago, PP21 and Mason Cole are starters, and Markus Golden gets a decent amount of snaps too. We complain about our CBs but the guys they have behind Peterson seem to be well below Hamilton in ability, just embarrassing stuff.

Like any team they have pieces, but I don't think Tomlin is what's holding them back from being a contender. I think most coaches would have gotten fewer wins with this roster.

Last edited:

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
To be fair PA, Belichick is godawful this year as well, and we all know that TB was a huge reason for his success. I'm not in NE, but I don't know that the chatter for him to be shown the door is as loud as it is for Tomlin. You're in that area so you and Stout know with certainty, but I've heard some ugly slander of Tomlin that is well below the belt. This for a man that delivered a SB, and has kept them relevant despite some pretty bad rosters. I'm not his biggest fan either but I can't go the fraud route. (Even though to your point Gannon took it to him on Sunday. LOL)

Patriots have a really good defense but perhaps one of the worst offenses in decades. The Patriots defense has held opponents to 10 points or less in the last 3 games, but are 0-3 in that stretch because the offense is so putrid. Imagine being a player on that defense right now, sheesh.

Tomlin not having a losing record in many seasons is very impressive. However, It certainly helped that until fairly recently both the Bengals and Browns in their division were often terrible. I think many Steeler fans are becoming frustrated with the lack of significant playoff success though. They aren't a fanbase satisfied with merely finishing a bit above .500 and making an early exit in the postseason.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Patriots have a really good defense but perhaps one of the worst offenses in decades. The Patriots defense has held opponents to 10 points or less in the last 3 games, but are 0-3 in that stretch because the offense is so putrid. Imagine being a player on that defense right now, sheesh.

Tomlin not having a losing record in many seasons is very impressive. However, It certainly helped that until fairly recently both the Bengals and Browns in their division were often terrible. I think many Steeler fans are becoming frustrated with the lack of significant playoff success though. They aren't a fanbase satisfied with merely finishing a bit above .500 and making an early exit in the postseason.
I was talking with a friend who is a hardcore Steelers fan and he thinks Tomlin should get the axe because of his inability to really propel the team to being a championship caliber team.

I will point out that the Steelers rarely bring in a marquee free agent that many teams bring in that put them over the top.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend who is a hardcore Steelers fan and he thinks Tomlin should get the axe because of his inability to really propel the team to being a championship caliber team.

I will point out that the Steelers rarely bring in a marquee free agent that many teams bring in that put them over the top.
Maaaan. Sometimes it's just about a new voice in the locker room. As good a motivator and team leader he is, he may have just run his course in Pittsburgh. It happens in sports. I'm not a massive fan of him as an X and O guy, but I generally like the guy, we're fraternity brothers, and I admittedly like to see the brothers in the NFL succeed, but your friend is not in the minority I'm sure Krang. I know for a fact that if he and the Steelers were to part ways, he'd have a job tomorrow. Think the Panthers would like to have him lead a run remotely close to what he's done?

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Despite being outgained, I think the telling stat was third down conversions.

Cardinals - 10/17
Steelers - 4/11

Compare that to Kyler's last 3 games.

6/16
3/10
3/11

I don't know know if that confirms or refutes Harry's point about the Steelers blowing it. But I think it had alot to do with Murray being on point at the right times. When Good Kyler shows up, it can make a big difference.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Despite being outgained, I think the telling stat was third down conversions.

Cardinals - 10/17
Steelers - 4/11

Compare that to Kyler's last 3 games.

6/16
3/10
3/11

I don't know know if that confirms or refutes Harry's point about the Steelers blowing it. But I think it had alot to do with Murray being on point at the right times. When Good Kyler shows up, it can make a big difference.
Were Kyler's last three games, his first three games?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i don
Pitt is stuck in no-mans land.

A really good coach and a really good FO keeps them far enough away from the top top of the draft to get a QB to make a difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd