Start your "positive spin" engines Tango, Colvin's a Patriot

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe there is some truth in the comment that there is more to it than money.

I posted earlier that Blake said that is was important for him to look at a number of things besides money. Two of which is who the team lost in FA and who they have signed. Does not bode well for us to land Blake IMO. We lost the best FA WR (would have been his goto man) and we got dissed today by Colvin (and Jackson if he signed with the Steelers). It might be a very short meeting. He may be asking his agent right now if his airline ticket can be changed to leave earlier....

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two things -

1. It's been 45 minutes since the so-called news broke. I've been all over the www looking for corroboration and can't find any. Both sources listed for this report were Patriot fan websites. One was relayed via KFFL. Possibly the other was too. I don't consider them to be as reliable as AP, the Boston Globe or ESPN.

2. The word coming out of Foxboro was that Belicheck (who, incidently, runs a 3-4 defense) charmed the sox off of Colvin during his visit; telling Rosie that he was one of the top LB's in the league yada yada. If it turns out Rosie is definitely a Patriot (and it probably will) it appears that Belicheck was the pivota factor.

Last edited:

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Then Why

Originally posted by RedStorm
Maybe there is some truth in the comment that there is more to it than money.

I posted earlier that Blake said that is was important for him to look at a number of things besides money. Two of which is who the team lost in FA and who they have signed. Does not bode well for us to land Blake IMO. We lost the best FA WR (would have been his goto man) and we got dissed today by Colvin (and Jackson if he signed with the Steelers). It might be a very short meeting. He may be asking his agent right now if his airline ticket can be changed to leave earlier....

If he's already made up his mind no matter how much money we've offered then he's an idiot for coming....unless he thinks he can make Pitt pay more.....but Pitt reads this forum and they know that no one will sign with us no matter how much we pay them so they keep their chump change and lowball the guy....now I get it!!!

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Two things -

2. The word coming out of Foxboro was that Belicheck (who, incidently, runs a 3-4 defense) charmed the sox off of Colvin during his visit; telling Rosie that he was one of the top LB's in the league yada yada. If it turns out Rosie is definitely a Patriot (and it probably well) it appears that Belicheck was the pivota factor.

So, doing what it takes.....Even spit shining sales job. Goes to show that there might be some creedence in not letting your targeted FA walk away without an offer. (48hour rule....Graves needs 48 hours because he has to clear it with Bidwill.)

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
48 Hour rule

Easy....so 2 days ago Graves tells Billy about how he's gonna lowball JB and Billy sez me likey and actually the offer is higher than Pitt's and Blake signs today!!!

Hurrah!!!

Hurrah!!!

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: 48 Hour rule

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
Easy....so 2 days ago Graves tells Billy about how he's gonna lowball JB and Billy sez me likey and actually the offer is higher than Pitt's and Blake signs today!!!

Hurrah!!!

Hurrah!!!

I like it....Spoken like a true Guinness...I mean Genius!!! :D

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Re: Re: 48 Hour rule

I like it....Spoken like a true Guinness...I mean Genius!!! :D

Wish I had some Stormy....this really sucks!!!

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Two things -

1. It's been 45 minutes since the so-called news broke. I've been all over the www looking for corroboration and can't find any. Both sources listed for this report were Patriot fan websites. One was relayed via KFFL. Possibly the other was too. I don't consider them to be as reliable as AP, the Boston Globe or ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1521872.html

Colvin gives Pats D athleticism, versatility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Much coveted linebacker Rosevelt Colvin, rated as one of the most prized players in free agency and assessed by ESPN.com as the No. 1 unrestricted veteran this spring, reached a contract agreement with the New England Patriots.

Financial details of the multi-year deal were not immediately available.

Colvin
The addition of Colvin, 25, provides the Patriots great flexibility and further allows head coach Bill Belichick and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel the latitude to use both the 4-3 and 3-4 fronts. There has been much speculation that New England would use more of the 3-4 look in 2003, and Colvin is a tremendous fit for that alignment.

Colvin is more of a defensive end than a pure linebacker, although his physical dimensions all but dictate that he play the latter position full-time. His rare blend of athleticism, however, gives Patriots coaches plenty of options in how to deploy him.

Colvin visited four other teams early in the signing period and finally met with New England officials last weekend. Sources said that even before that meeting, however, the Patriots were working on a deal with Colvin.

The four-year veteran gives the Patriots their best pass rush threat in years and should help free up Willie McGinest. With the explosive Colvin likely to operate opposite him in some fronts, McGinest's value as a rusher should be significantly enhanced.

Colvin posted 10½ sacks in each of the past two seasons with the Chicago Bears, the only NFL team he had played for, but a club that could not afford to retain him because of financial commitments to its other linebackers.

New England has not had a player record double-digits sacks since 1995.

A fourth-round draft choice of the Bears in 1999, Colvin has totaled 210 tackles, 26 sacks, seven forced fumbles, three recoveries and eight passes defensed in 56 appearances and 36 starts. The former Purdue standout was principally a strong-side linebacker during his Bears tenure.

His free-agency visits over the past two weeks included meetings with Detroit, Arizona, Houston and the New York Giants.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What sort of organization works on a deal BEFORE the player arrives? Don't they know the professional way to do it is make an offer 48 hrs after they leave?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
What sort of organization works on a deal BEFORE the player arrives? Don't they know the professional way to do it is make an offer 48 hrs after they leave?
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Coach Mac has to be completely frustrated watching his team slowly fall apart while his hands are tied...

Where else do the fingers point to but our incompetent owner?

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Fingers

Originally posted by SeattleCardsFan
Coach Mac has to be completely frustrated watching his team slowly fall apart while his hands are tied...

Right now I've got just one finger toward our incompetent owner....guess which one? :twisted:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boy oh boy.

Well, I guess it is time for me to start bailing because this ship is now taking on water. Pretty much nothing was worrying me up until right now. I felt the Cards had a good to great shot at Colvin and he was the marquee guy. Sign him and things would begin to fall the Cards way. I kept feeling that until he signed, the Cards were still in the running.

Jeez, this off-season has had alot of valleys and sadly these valleys keep getting deeper and deeper...and I wonder if there is any way to get out of this.

I suppose we should have seen this coming. The minute he suddenly starting visiting other teams, it was evident he either didn't want to come here or he wanted more money...I wonder which contract was better, the Cards or Pats.

If the Cards offer was better (my guess) than more than money came into the decision...and who is on the team and the chances of winning here would likely have been factors.

So, have we hit bottom yet?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SeattleCardsFan

Are you kidding me? How bout a couple fingers pointed in Rod Grave's direction?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Are you kidding me? How bout a couple fingers pointed in Rod Grave's direction?

Um, cheesebeef, any room on the dark side for me now?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Um, cheesebeef, any room on the dark side for me now?

Actually...it is good therapy.....Give it a try.....Come on...You can't resist the power of the dark side......

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually...it is good therapy.....Give it a try.....Come on...You can't resist the power of the dark side......

Stupid puppet!! I have a plan my ass!!

Wow, that does feel good.
:D

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I Can Hear Billy Now

Listen....I hear Billy:

ROD.....I'M YOUR FATHER!!!

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Re: I Can Hear Billy Now

Listen....I hear Billy:

You just about gave me a heart attack.I was laughing so hard.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: I Can Hear Billy Now

Listen....I hear Billy:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
The last dog is hung and he's gasping his last breath, it's funny though, it doesn't seem to hurt, I'm just heading for the light.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the "i'm your father" almost got me fired.

the pessimists welcome you all. welcome back into the real world. it may not be as light-hearted, but it don't feel as foolhardy either...

i'm not jumping ship yet, but i am going out to purchase a chargers jersey today . . . maybe a david boston . . . just warming up the bus in case . . .

OP
OP
E

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't blame Graves.

I think he tried. He failed, but he tried.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA