Star Wars: Your favorite episode I thru VI and why...

What is your favorite Star Wars episode?

• The Phantom Menace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attack of the Clones

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
New Hope
Empire
Jedi
Revenge
Clones
Phantom

Because I too was a child in the Cine Capri line, I will never lose my love for the first episode.

And once the line changed to just packed theaters I could spend an entire Saturday there watch it 3 times in a row (helped that I lived just down the street) but still.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
Sith

I can't even rank the first two because they're both such laughably awful movies that i've wiped them from all memory... Anakin's born from immaculate reception... Darth Vader likes Amidala because her skin is smooth... not rough... like sand?

At least Sith had that pretty awesome scene between Palpatine and Anakin at the Opera... a lightsaber duel that actually (should have) had some emotional resonnance between Anakin and Obi-Wan... and the music at the end... but holy ****, were those first two movies just atrocious.

Star Wars is still the greatest blockbuster of all time. Anyone trying to degrade that movie is high as a kite as far as i'm concerned. It had an insanely scary bad guy, a great old man mentor, a rebel without a cause with Solo, a young (slightly annoying) but still heroic Luke and hot sassy ass Princess. That movie was simply brilliant as far as i'm concerned and the very definition of FUN.

I pretty much agree but I must admit my favorite lightsaber scene comes from the Phantom Menace. Darth Mal was downright bad ass and the only thing worth watching in that first one. Too bad he didn't lop off JarJar's head early in that movie.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I too was a child in the Cine Capri line, I will never lose my love for the first episode.

And once the line changed to just packed theaters I could spend an entire Saturday there watch it 3 times in a row (helped that I lived just down the street) but still.

Star Wars was the first movie that I saw as a kid in a movie theater.

I remember when Jedi came out and my brother and I got grounded over doing something stupid. My parents wouldn't let us go see it for two weeks. Worst punishment ever as we listened two our friends talk all about it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pretty much agree but I must admit my favorite lightsaber scene comes from the Phantom Menace. Darth Mal was downright bad ass and the only thing worth watching in that first one.

interesting... that was probably the best choreographed duel, but it had zero emotional resonnace for me. That's what made the duels in the OT so great. It was just abotu sword-fighting... it was about what was actually happening in those scenes, what was being said during the duel... Obi-Wan v. Vader... old friends who have the ultimate score to settle and then Obi-Wan gives himself up to force Luke into action. Empire... the biggest twist of all time is revealed and in Jedi, the Vader finally comes back.

In Menace, it was a guy who's barely spoken a word with a cool light-saber, punching a guy I didn't really care about in the face and then stabbing him with the light-saber. there was like ZERO drama inside that duel, whereas those moments in the OT were always the height of action and drama.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
interesting... that was probably the best choreographed duel, but it had zero emotional resonnace for me.
Thats why the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel is my favorite one(Revenge of the Sith). The emotional impact there is electric....the breaking of the lifelong bond of friendship and trust between them....us(the viewer) knowing they would face each other later in A New Hope.

Its the most intense and most important one in all of the films IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats why the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel is my favorite one(Revenge of the Sith). The emotional impact there is electric....the breaking of the lifelong bond of friendship and trust between them....us(the viewer) knowing they would face each other later in A New Hope.

Its the most intense and most important one in all of the films IMO.

eh... that one did nothing for me because Vader was portrayed as such a sniveling little bitch throughout the prequels. Hard to have a rooting interest for me in that scene simply because the character and the guy playing the character just sucked out loud for me.

also, there's no revelation in that fight. sure, that's a function of it being a prequel, but there was no twist on that scene like there with Obi-Wan giving himself up for the greater good... I'm your father... then Vader finding out about Leia and ultimately turning back to the good side of the force and killing the emperor.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting... that was probably the best choreographed duel, but it had zero emotional resonnace for me. That's what made the duels in the OT so great.

Yeah that's what I was referring to. The Choreography for that fight was the best of the bunch. Then factor in how bad Phantom was, by the time that scene came up, it made it feel that much better. For me it was the lone bright spot in a disappointing movie.

I think it had some emotion. I mean Obi-Wan watched his mentor die and then got his chance at revenge. Plus I thought it was a fresh take with two Jedi taking on one Sith. No need for some forced dialog with Obi-Wan coming out of the closet and confessing his love for Qui-Gon or something stupid like that. Although that would have been kind of funny come to think of it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was referring to. The Choreography for that fight was the best of the bunch. Then factor in how bad Phantom was, by the time that scene came up, it made it feel that much better. For me it was the lone bright spot in a disappointing movie.

I think it had some emotion. I mean Obi-Wan watched his mentor die and then got his chance at revenge. Plus I thought it was a fresh take with two Jedi taking on one Sith. No need for some forced dialog with Obi-Wan coming out of the closet and confessing his love for Qui-Gon or something stupid like that. Although that would have been kind of funny come to think of it.

yeah... but my problem with the above was Obi-Wan was such a nothing character in the Phantom Menace. I mean, if his name wasn't Obi-Wan, he just would have been the guy who sat back with the ship most of the movie trying to fix the hyper-drive, waiting to be told what to do. he really didn't do jack squat in that movie except stand around and ask Qui-gon the occassional question.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... but my problem with the above was Obi-Wan was such a nothing character in the Phantom Menace. I mean, if his name wasn't Obi-Wan, he just would have been the guy who sat back with the ship most of the movie trying to fix the hyper-drive, waiting to be told what to do. he really didn't do jack squat in that movie except stand around and ask Qui-gon the occassional question.

I see your point and for the most part agree. However I also have no problem with the way Lucas handled Obi-Wan in Phantom Menace. Obi-Wan was still Qui-Gon's apprentice so he kind of took a back seat for most of the movie. Then after the Duel with Darth Mal, the Obi-Wan character begins to take a bigger role for the remainder of the movies.

Lucas had the right idea concentrating on Skywalker for most of the Phantom Menace. It was just poorly written and poorly executed. I don't know how many times I wanted to gag myself after listening to some of that dialog. It's a shame because I still think that lightsaber duel was the best of the bunch from an action standpoint.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The original. I saw it right after it came out at the Avco in Westwood, CA. It was the first time I'd ever been in an LA theater where the audience stood up and cheered during the movie. So it was the whole experience.

People were walking out repeating the dialogue. That impressed the heck out of me. (We also were so enthusiastic we couldn't figure out which bus to take back to Santa Monica. Always the sign of a great movie.)

Last edited:

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
As a kid I prob would have ranked Return first just for the fact that Luke came back in all black!

But now...
4-movie stands on its own and is epic

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my order:

Empire Strikes Back
The most complete of the films IMO and an ending that pissed me off in a good way. LOL.

I went to go see the premier of this at the Cine Capri. Stood in line for hours upon hours. I still remember seeing the Wax Figures behind glass in the theater of all the characters. It was awesome!

Return of the Jedi
I have always had a love for this film. Yes, I know it had Ewoks but as a kid I loved them. This movie had more Yoda and Obi as a force ghost. Maybe it's the nostalgia that makes me rank this higher but I just love the duel with Darth and Luke as well. Probably one of the scenes that is most memorable to me to this day. Plus the Emperor was a huge dick! Loved it.

Revenge of the Sith
Loved the dark tone of the film. Yes, it had plot holes and felt a little choppy but it really was the film I wanted to see out of the 3 prequels. The light saber duel between Obi and Anakin was epic IMO. Unlike some I loved the back story, the plotting by the Emperor, the fight with the Emperor and Yoda and just about all the Jedi stuff.

Attack of the Clones
This is the first of the prequels that felt like Star Wars to me. Also, the film where I felt like Ewan McGregor hit his stride playing Obi. This is also the introduction of the Clone Troopers which I had longed to see since I was a kid and read an interview with Lucas talking about the back story of Storm Troopers. The Clone Troopers to my son is what the Jedi were to me as a kid.

Star Wars
I know this is probably blasphemy but I have always felt like the original film was one of the most boring of all the films. Felt that way when I was a kid too. Yes, it inspired but bored all at the same time. Love the scenes on the Death Star but even to this day I don't go out of my way to watch this one despite all the classic scenes that I love. The first time I had seen this film it ranked higher but after seeing Empire Strikes Back and how much better of a film it was, it put this film into perspective at least for me.

I think this films ranks higher to most Star Wars fans because of the nostalgia and inspiration that came out of the film. I remember when my son finally had seen all the films, the first thing he told me was this one was sort of boring. He didn't have the jaded view of seeing this one first I think. It reminds me of Yoda's line in Attack of the Clones......."Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is."

Phantom Menace
By far the weakest of the bunch. Not as boring as the original but the acting and dialog coming out of Jake Lloyd's mouth seriously almost ruined the entire movie for me. I felt he was that bad. Plus the ridiculous characters (Gungans, POD Racer Announcers etc..) made this feel like a Saturday morning cartoon. The Gungan-Droid battle is the poster child for bad CGI (meaning breaking you out of the movie).

The only reason to watch this film is for the awesomeness that is Darth Maul, the POD Race, scenes with the Jedi. The rest is garbage.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Ewoks. October 1973 - Barney Stinson is right.

You must be registered for see images

Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Barney might have a point but 1962 here and I loved the Ewoks, actually shed a tear during first watch of Jedi when the one didn't get up after the blast.

(And yes I do spell Nerd with a capital N. :))

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars
I know this is probably blasphemy but I have always felt like the original film was one of the most boring of all the films. Felt that way when I was a kid too. Yes, it inspired but bored all at the same time. Love the scenes on the Death Star but even to this day I don't go out of my way to watch this one despite all the classic scenes that I love. The first time I had seen this film it ranked higher but after seeing Empire Strikes Back and how much better of a film it was, it put this film into perspective at least for me.

I think this films ranks higher to most Star Wars fans because of the nostalgia and inspiration that came out of the film. I remember when my son finally had seen all the films, the first thing he told me was this one was sort of boring. He didn't have the jaded view of seeing this one first I think. It reminds me of Yoda's line in Attack of the Clones......."Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is."

Blasphemy is introducing these films to a new viewer as 1-6 rather than 4,5,6,1,2,3 ...

:jedi:

Seriously? Once you have watched 1-4 it is really a big shocker in the 5th film when it is revealed that Vader is Luke's father !!! AND - in the 6th film - Luke and Leia are brother and sister !!! Who knew ?! :|

Glad I'm old enough to have seen them in their original release order. I probably wouldn't be as big a Star Wars fanboy if I saw them 1-6 for the first time. Bleh.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blasphemy is intoducing these films to a new viewer as 1-6 rather than 4,5,6,1,2,3 ...

Seriously? Once you have watched 1-4 it is really a big shocker in the 5th film when it is revealed that Vader is Luke's father !!! AND - in the 6th film - Luke and Leia are brother and sister !!! Who knew ?! :|

Glad I'm old enough to have seen them in their original release order. I probably wouldn't be as big a Star Wars fanboy if I saw them 1-6 for the first time. Bleh.

I would have never seen 2 - 6. As it is, I've never seen 2 or 3.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blasphemy is introducing these films to a new viewer as 1-6 rather than 4,5,6,1,2,3 ...

Actually he watched Phantom Menace, then 4, 5, 6 before Attack of the Clones and ROTS. Seeing them in a different order didn't dampen his love for Empire or ROTJ so your reasoning above isn't sound why Star Wars didn't hold up for him. Neither does the fact that there is a new generation of Star Wars fans boys that have not seen them in order either. My son is about as huge of a Star Wars fan as I ever was at that age.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great if he watched them in that order and still likes the films and everything that has come from them (toys, comics, collectibles, Clone Wars animated series, etc)... I was just saying, for me and most of the diehards who grew up with Star Wars, the preferred viewing order is 4,5,6,1,2,3. Not surprisingly - Lucas feels they should be viewed 1-6.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm in the minority in saying I was never that impressed with the final duel with Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan and Darth Maul. Ray Park is phenomenal, there wasn't enough of him, but the big issue I have with the fight is the contrived way that obstacles popped up. The whole "open chute" thing was done to death (lol) in Empire and Jedi. And those moving force fields served NO purpose except to make Obi-Wan not be able to help Qui-Gon when Darth Maul kills him. Pathetic and insulting.

I personally would have liked to see an extended battle when they first met--on Tatooine.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Empire Strikes Back was the first movie I ever saw in the theater. Blew me away. I tried to watch Return of the Jedi when it came on HBO, but I just couldn't get into it. I still haven't seen Star Wars. I saw episodes 1-3 in the theater and all but #3 were disappointments.

I'm planning on watching all six here in a few years when my daughter gets old enough, but I doubt I'll change my vote from Empire Strikes Back.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Empire Strikes back by a mile!
  • Hoth with awesome Imperial Walkers
  • Han and the Princess (every scene with them)
  • Yoda introduced for first time
  • Luke fights Vader for first time
  • I'm your father! (Greatest Movie twist ever)
I'd order them like this:
You're forgetting C-3PO. His dialog was classic in this episode. That said, Empire will always be my favorite. Vader proclaiming that he's Luke's father is one of the greatest plot twists in the history of film.