Star Wars: Your favorite episode I thru VI and why...

What is your favorite Star Wars episode?

• The Phantom Menace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attack of the Clones

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Like many of you i was raised on the religion of Star Wars :D
I was 8 years old when my dad took me to the old Cine Capri to wait in line for hours to watch Star Wars...and it was always better than a trip to Disneyland...magical. I'm sure BIM and many of ya'll have similiar memories :)
:jedi:

I recently did a full rewatch of the six films in order 1 thru 6(it had been quite awhile).....and i must say that,for myself....episode III Revenge of the Sith is absolutely my favorite. The Empire Strikes Back has been the undisputed favorite for most....and for good reason. The opening 30 minutes is epic,the ensuing sci-fi drama and comedy relief 2nd act is perfectly balanced....and of course the final act is full of emotional impact.

Obviously the lack of the fantastic cowboy character that is Han Solo is lacking in episode's 1 thru 3....the humor is weak.

...but for myself,Episode III give's so much more weight to episode's 4,5 and 6. Its dark,beautifully filmed,emotionally charged and incredibly strong thematically IMO. My only problem and failed opportunity with episode III is Vader's dialogue. Noooooooooo!
The 3rd act scenes leading up to Mustafar(especially the Obi Wan/Anakin pre-duel standoff on the tarmac) are just simply awesome. :)

Whats your favorite episode and why?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rank them:

Empire
Jedi
Episode 3
Star Wars
Episode 1
Episode 2

Episode 3 was good enough to be with the first 3.

Empire has everything...great battles. Master and student training. A realistic romance (cough cough Amadala is a child molester). Friendship betrayal.

Jedi is next because of everything in Jabba's palace. If not for the Ewoks, would have been the best overall.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Jedi
A New Hope
Empire
Episode III
Episode II
Episode I

Growing up, I must have watched Jedi 200 times. As a kid, Empire was always the darkest and most boring for me (too much icky romance and junk!!!). Episodes IV and VI were regular viewing. Even though I love Empire now, the other two will always hold a more special place in my heart.

Then the prequels came out. Made me appreciate the original trilogy so much more.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rank them:

Empire
Jedi
Episode 3
Star Wars
Episode 1
Episode 2

Episode 3 was good enough to be with the first 3.

Empire has everything...great battles. Master and student training. A realistic romance (cough cough Amadala is a child molester). Friendship betrayal.

Jedi is next because of everything in Jabba's palace. If not for the Ewoks, would have been the best overall.

I would rank them the same, though Star Wars was so awesome for me as a kid that I might move it up to three. (Would have to re-watch them all to determine a true ranking order.)

BTW, I liked the Ewoks. (Yeah, I know, I am the only one, lol.)

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rank them the same, though Star Wars was so awesome for me as a kid that I might move it up to three. (Would have to re-watch them all to determine a true ranking order.)

BTW, I liked the Ewoks. (Yeah, I know, I am the only one, lol.)
Not the ONLY one! :thumbup:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Must be a chick thing. :D

My brother actually had a stuffed Ewok (though he will deny it til the day he dies, I am sure)! Granted, he was born in 1977, so he was young when Jedi came out.

I loved the ewoks! lol :not a chick:

:thumbup:

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
1. a) Star Wars
- The original that sparked my imagination back in the day. I refuse to call it by it's current title Episode IV: A New Hope. As far as I am concerned, it is Star Wars, plain and simple.

1. b) Empire Strikes Back
- Hands down, the best crafted film of the bunch. It's also the one Star Wars film that Lucas had the least amount of influence when it came to the directing and story.

2. Return of the Jedi
- The flaws of the Ewoks vs. The Empire battle aside, it was the perfect ending to the original trilogy in terms of completion of story arcs and action.

None of the prequels deserve to be #3 on my list, so I'll leave this blank.

4. Phantom Menace
- Perhaps the second most flawed film in the series in terms of dialogue and plot holes. However, of the prequels, it comes the closest to the swashbuckling "Saturday serial" style of the original Star Wars. I'm probably the least critical Star Wars nerd when it comes to Jar Jar Binks. The best prequel in my opinion.

5. a) Revenge of the Sith

5. b) Attack of the Clones

-These two tie for my least favorite of the bunch. Cookie cutter film making as it's finest! Action scenes with so much crap jammed into them that you end up falling asleep.

Very little story can be followed without prior knowledge of the mythos. Cardboard characters, and flat dialogue abound. These scripts wouldn't have gotten approved for production if it wasn't George Lucas that spewed them out.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
1. a) Star Wars
- The original that sparked my imagination back in the day. I refuse to call it by it's current title Episode IV: A New Hope. As far as I am concerned, it is Star Wars, plain and simple.

- Hands down, the best crafted film of the bunch. It's also the one Star Wars film that Lucas had the least amount of influence when it came to the directing and story.

2. Return of the Jedi
- The flaws of the Ewoks vs. The Empire battle aside, it was the perfect ending to the original trilogy in terms of completion of story arcs and action.

4. Phantom Menace
- Perhaps the second most flawed film in the series in terms of dialogue and plot holes. However, of the prequels, it comes the closest to the swashbuckling "Saturday serial" style of the original Star Wars. I'm probably the least critical Star Wars nerd when it comes to Jar Jar Binks. The best prequel in my opinion.

-These two tie for my least favorite of the bunch. Cookie cutter film making as it's finest! Action scenes with so much crap jammed into them that you end up falling asleep.

Agree 100% with Ken (as painful as that is to say). If you weren't a kid in '77 when Star Wars was released, it's hard to explain the huge impact it had. There had never been anything else like it before then. At that time, theaters were theaters and when those ships flew overhead at the beginning of the movie audiences were blown away!

You have to remember also that almost no one had VCR's and TV had about 6 channels so you had to go to the movies to see it. You couldn't wait three months and watch it at home. Going to a first-run movie was much more of an event then than it is now. I remember that the lines to get in wrapped around the theater. It was crazy.

After Empire, the Star Wars films are hardly worth the effort, IMO. Jedi had it's moments, but I could never get over that Episode 6 had the same plot as Episode 4...destroy the Death Star! That always stuck in my craw.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
1. a) Star Wars

2. Return of the Jedi

4. Phantom Menace

Very little story can be followed without prior knowledge of the mythos. Cardboard characters, and flat dialogue abound. These scripts wouldn't have gotten approved for production if it wasn't George Lucas that spewed them out.

+2

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Empire Strikes back by a mile!
  • Hoth with awesome Imperial Walkers
  • Han and the Princess (every scene with them)
  • Yoda introduced for first time
  • Luke fights Vader for first time
  • I'm your father! (Greatest Movie twist ever)
I'd order them like this:

1. Empire
  2. Jedi
  3. New Hope
  4. Revenge
  5. Clones
  6. Phantom
And yes I found the Ewoks entertaining as well. JarJar on the other hand was a crime against humanity. It's a shame they didn't make JarJar a mute.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
Sith

I can't even rank the first two because they're both such laughably awful movies that i've wiped them from all memory... Anakin's born from immaculate reception... Darth Vader likes Amidala because her skin is smooth... not rough... like sand?

At least Sith had that pretty awesome scene between Palpatine and Anakin at the Opera... a lightsaber duel that actually (should have) had some emotional resonnance between Anakin and Obi-Wan... and the music at the end... but holy ****, were those first two movies just atrocious.

Star Wars is still the greatest blockbuster of all time. Anyone trying to degrade that movie is high as a kite as far as i'm concerned. It had an insanely scary bad guy, a great old man mentor, a rebel without a cause with Solo, a young (slightly annoying) but still heroic Luke and hot sassy ass Princess. That movie was simply brilliant as far as i'm concerned and the very definition of FUN.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Star Wars
Empire
Jedi
Sith

I can't even rank the first two because they're both such laughably awful movies that i've wiped them from all memory... Anakin's born from immaculate reception... Darth Vader likes Amidala because her skin is smooth... not rough... like sand?

At least Sith had that pretty awesome scene between Palpatine and Anakin at the Opera... a lightsaber duel that actually (should have) had some emotional resonnance between Anakin and Obi-Wan... and the music at the end... but holy ****, were those first two movies just atrocious.

Star Wars is still the greatest blockbuster of all time. Anyone trying to degrade that movie is high as a kite as far as i'm concerned. It had an insanely scary bad guy, a great old man mentor, a rebel without a cause with Solo, a young (slightly annoying) but still heroic Luke and hot sassy ass Princess. That movie was simply brilliant as far as i'm concerned and the very definition of FUN.

I would have thought that you would have ranked Jedi higher, since it had Charles Barkley in it as one of the Gamorrean Guards.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree 100% with Ken (as painful as that is to say). If you weren't a kid in '77 when Star Wars was released, it's hard to explain the huge impact it had. There had never been anything else like it before then. At that time, theaters were theaters and when those ships flew overhead at the beginning of the movie audiences were blown away!

You have to remember also that almost no one had VCR's and TV had about 6 channels so you had to go to the movies to see it. You couldn't wait three months and watch it at home. Going to a first-run movie was much more of an event then than it is now. I remember that the lines to get in wrapped around the theater. It was crazy.
+1
Indeed. The hugeness of the event that it was,and the impact it had on those of us that were young boys(or girls i guess?) at the time is imeasurable by todays environment of mass media....where even most children can simply point n click to find anything.

Going to see Star Wars as an 8 year old in the mid 70's was like Christmas morning,a visit to Disneyland...as exciting as it gets. :)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1
Indeed. The hugeness of the event that it was,and the impact it had on those of us that were young boys(or girls i guess?) at the time is imeasurable by todays environment of mass media....where even most children can simply point n click to find anything.

Going to see Star Wars as an 8 year old in the mid 70's was like Christmas morning,a visit to Disneyland...as exciting as it gets. :)

the internet is awesome but it has sadly cheapened everything.

Now my daughter thinks there is nothing to do if she cant use some kind of media. Trips to awesome places have less meaning. everythings cheapened.