Star Wars: The Mandalorian (Disney+)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really liked the second episode. Seemed to be different setting then all the others as he wasn't placed into a setting where he has to save the village/town like he does on every other episode. This one seemed more Star Wars-ish..
I actually think this entire season feels more star warsish.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I have to watch All of season 1 to get into Season 2 or will I be totally lost? Thought season 1 was such a slog... felt like Xena Warrior Princess quality Star Wars to me.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I have to watch All of season 1 to get into Season 2 or will I be totally lost? Thought season 1 was such a slog... felt like Xena Warrior Princess quality Star Wars to me.

I feel like most episodes are self-contained and you could still enjoy it, but there is an underlying theme/motivation that would be easily misunderstood or missed without all of the context. Plus, you know it takes a new series, especially sci-fi, some time to become 'great.' I'll point to ST: TNG as an example.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

Maybe it's just a matter of taste and fandom -- I loved all of Mando S1, but I am a Sci-Fi nerd in every way.

And yeah, just like puckhead said, there is a certain overall arc that S1 lays out that leads into this season's arc that might be necessary to create the overall context.

It's not like it's a lot of lengthy episodes either. Eight episodes and all less than an hour each with the longest being 46 minutes and that was the very action-packed season finale.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
@cheesebeef For season 1 you probably only need to watch episodes 1, 3, 7, and 8 to get the overall arc.

And honestly they're almost not needed so far for S2. S2 has mainly been side quests so far but I think that'll change a little bit in the next couple of episodes. So far the E3 has been the only one that's added anything and it was mainly the introduction of a character.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’d say watch them. There are recurring characters. S1 def a bit of a slog. Just have to kinda try to forget it’s Star Wars. But S2, imo, is real Star Warsy. Much better imo. And ep4 picks up from S1 storylines that seemed forgotten.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I'm only in it for Baby Yoda, lol. And only a 35minute episode?!? With half of that being shoot 'em up, crash'em up scenes.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm only in it for Baby Yoda, lol. And only a 35minute episode?!? With half of that being shoot 'em up, crash'em up scenes.

FYI, Yoda died about five years before the Mandolorian timeline in ROtJ and supposedly 'The Child' is ~50 years old. So, not 'baby' Yoda and probably not a reincarnation due to the time mismatch. Cloning, however, is still very much on the table as a possibility.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
FYI, Yoda died about five years before the Mandolorian timeline in ROtJ and supposedly 'The Child' is ~50 years old. So, not 'baby' Yoda and probably not a reincarnation due to the time mismatch. Cloning, however, is still very much on the table as a possibility.
I don’t think anyone actually thinks it’s Yoda as a baby or yoda’s baby. It’s just that we don’t know the name of the creatures that are Yoda or the child so people took to calling it baby Yoda.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone actually thinks it’s Yoda as a baby or yoda’s baby. It’s just that we don’t know the name of the creatures that are Yoda or the child so people took to calling it baby Yoda.

My experience is quite different in that I rarely find someone who doesn't think it's young Yoda unless they're big SW fans. I don't judge, but I've taken it upon myself to right this wrong in the World. Don't @ me. :p

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My experience is quite different in that I rarely find someone who doesn't think it's young Yoda unless they're big SW fans. I don't judge, but I've taken it upon myself to right this wrong in the World. Don't @ me. :p
Really?!? They either (a) must not watch the show; or (b) are not smart enough to understand it’s timeline.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Careful, your nerd is showing. ;) (and you're exposing mine as well!) :lol:
Eh Star Wars has got to be as mainstream as there is. It’s not like I know anything about the novels or “canon” for that matter. But I’ve had an issue being called a nerd either :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good episode. This season is a big leap up from the first in my opinion.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this on one of the Discord servers I'm on. Holy crap if true:

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rosario Dawson was a brilliant casting choice. They are nailing it with choices like Katee Sackhoff as well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OMG

This is nearly perfect Star Wars. Today’s episode was directed by Robert Rodriguez and is huge in the mythology of the show.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
OMG

This is nearly perfect Star Wars. Today’s episode was directed by Robert Rodriguez and is huge in the mythology of the show.

I actually didn't care for this episode. The last two were much better IMO. The good thing about it was that it moved the story along nicely and didn't just lead to another side quest. The battle scene was so full of stupid though that I was asking WTF questions on my first viewing. Those usually don't happen until the 2nd or 3rd viewing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I actually didn't care for this episode. The last two were much better IMO. The good thing about it was that it moved the story along nicely and didn't just lead to another side quest. The battle scene was so full of stupid though that I was asking WTF questions on my first viewing. Those usually don't happen until the 2nd or 3rd viewing.
I'm curious to know what you thought was stupid, outside of the stormtroopers that can't hit anything. And their plainly plastic "armor".

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what you thought was stupid, outside of the stormtroopers that can't hit anything. And their plainly plastic "armor".

Ok, I want to start out by saying that I'm enjoying the show and it's better than any other Disney StarWars. It's just a little bit saccharin. I had better hopes for this episode too after the last 2 being really good and with Rodriguez directing. So here's some of my geek side nitpicking. :)

The Stormtroopers being such a joke was a big part of it. They're going over the top now with "they can't shoot" and then having the armor do nothing against being hit with a stick was ridiculous.

The clown car of the imperial ship where there was an unlimited supply of Stormtroopers inside.

Fennec running down the ridge with the Gatling gun shooting at her when she could have hopped off the back side.

Them giving up the high ground when being assaulted.

The request to take off the jet pack while he had the other armaments that could have taken both Fett and Fennec out before she could get the shot off.

The imperial ship doesn't fire at someone that's pursuing it's returning troopers that they've been in battle with? And that's after they didn't target both ships on the ground.

Not putting the jet pack back on so that he had to run back up the hill and then couldn't go after the Dark Troopers. The whole jet pack thing was just bad and there for a plot convenience.

Mando, once again, leaving his ship open. Is he ever going to learn?

Mando trying to grab into the force field three times. Once, ok he didn't know better. Twice he wasn't thinking and in a panic plus we know he's not the smarted guy in the galaxy. But three times???

They need to get a baseline established on Grogu's abilities too. They're jumping back and forth between helpless child and can throw people around at will. It's feeling like his abilities fit what the plot needs instead of the plot accounting for what his abilities are.

Mando felt a bit nonchalant about the kid being taken when he met up with Cara Dune. You'd think there would be a bit more urgency after what just went down.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ok, I want to start out by saying that I'm enjoying the show and it's better than any other Disney StarWars. It's just a little bit saccharin. I had better hopes for this episode too after the last 2 being really good and with Rodriguez directing. So here's some of my geek side nitpicking. :)

The Stormtroopers being such a joke was a big part of it. They're going over the top now with "they can't shoot" and then having the armor do nothing against being hit with a stick was ridiculous.

The clown car of the imperial ship where there was an unlimited supply of Stormtroopers inside.

Fennec running down the ridge with the Gatling gun shooting at her when she could have hopped off the back side.

Them giving up the high ground when being assaulted.

The request to take off the jet pack while he had the other armaments that could have taken both Fett and Fennec out before she could get the shot off.

The imperial ship doesn't fire at someone that's pursuing it's returning troopers that they've been in battle with? And that's after they didn't target both ships on the ground.

Not putting the jet pack back on so that he had to run back up the hill and then couldn't go after the Dark Troopers. The whole jet pack thing was just bad and there for a plot convenience.

Mando, once again, leaving his ship open. Is he ever going to learn?

Mando trying to grab into the force field three times. Once, ok he didn't know better. Twice he wasn't thinking and in a panic plus we know he's not the smarted guy in the galaxy. But three times???

They need to get a baseline established on Grogu's abilities too. They're jumping back and forth between helpless child and can throw people around at will. It's feeling like his abilities fit what the plot needs instead of the plot accounting for what his abilities are.

Mando felt a bit nonchalant about the kid being taken when he met up with Cara Dune. You'd think there would be a bit more urgency after what just went down.
You certainly bring up very valid points, for sure (especially about the jet pack). I think Mando NOT panicking (in reference to your final sentence) fits his character. He's usually not one to be impulsive.

As for him grabbing 3 times, if he truly thinks of himself as a father, then he definitely would have kept trying to reach him. No question. And if that last time didn't incapacitate, he probably would have tried a 4th time. And a 5th, and a 6th. As a parent, I would expect nothing less.

It has been proven that Grogu has to be coerced to use his powers or when he feels cornered or in danger (basically using fear as a catalyst). If that continues, how do you think that would go? He's basically channeling the Dark Side right now. That would explain how they use him--plus it is apparent that even the smallest use of those powers tires him out, so why should he use them all the time? He isn't even trained. This can harken back to what Ahsoka said about not training him, and him maybe shouldn't be trained because his fear could lead to him becoming a powerful Sith. Ahsoka knows of Yoda, and knows how powerful he is, so it's understandable that she could be a bit scared of the same power but on the other side.

That said, I still think this episode was great.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
You certainly bring up very valid points, for sure (especially about the jet pack). I think Mando NOT panicking (in reference to your final sentence) fits his character. He's usually not one to be impulsive.

As for him grabbing 3 times, if he truly thinks of himself as a father, then he definitely would have kept trying to reach him. No question. And if that last time didn't incapacitate, he probably would have tried a 4th time. And a 5th, and a 6th. As a parent, I would expect nothing less.

Your second point is why I had an issue with respect to my last point. I don't expect him to panic but to be more urgent if he's thinking of himself as a parent. He got off the ship and was like "What's up? Nice badge". To me that seemed too casual and something like "hi, we have a huge problem, they kidnapped the child" and getting right on solving it would be more appropriate. Especially with the way Cara and Greef Karga have taken to the kid.

On the trying to grab multiple times, I see your point. I think of it from the way I solve problems. After probably the 2nd time, maybe the first if it hit me hard enough, I would have been looking for an alternate way to get him. That could be the engineer in me though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Your second point is why I had an issue with respect to my last point. I don't expect him to panic but to be more urgent if he's thinking of himself as a parent. He got off the ship and was like "What's up? Nice badge". To me that seemed too casual and something like "hi, we have a huge problem, they kidnapped the child" and getting right on solving it would be more appropriate. Especially with the way Cara and Greef Karga have taken to the kid.

On the trying to grab multiple times, I see your point. I think of it from the way I solve problems. After probably the 2nd time, maybe the first if it hit me hard enough, I would have been looking for an alternate way to get him. That could be the engineer in me though.
Hey, if you could engineer a way to get past a violent maelstrom of Force energy, you should be in charge of fixing the climate change problem in this country!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose