St. Louis to play in London next 3 seasons

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Seems like a strange choice to represent the NFL in Europe considering the Rams' record the last 10 years. I guess the league thinks the Rams can sell out Wembley, they sure can't sell out their own stadium.

Rams commit to London for 3 years
Updated: January 20, 2012, 9:20 AM ET
Associated Press

LONDON -- The St. Louis Rams will play a regular-season NFL game in London in each of the next three seasons, first facing the New England Patriots in 2012.

The Rams and Patriots will play on Oct. 28 at Wembley Stadium, the NFL said Friday. It's the sixth straight year the league will play regular-season games in the British capital.

"We are confident that having the Rams host one game in the UK in each of the next three seasons will allow us to better serve the growing popularity of our sport beyond the borders of the United States," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement.

The NFL has been trying to bring two games a season to Britain, but the league said the Rams-Patriots contest would be the only one in 2012.

The NFL first played at Wembley in 2007, with the New York Giants beating the Miami Dolphins 13-10. Since then, seven other teams have visited Britain, with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers making the trip twice.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7482739/st-louis-rams-play-london-games-next-3-years?eleven=twelve

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow....good as london can say the rams are their team but why would you commit to that? strange.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I wonder if the Cards would get one of the other 2 games against them in 2013 or 14? I wouldn't mind a road game in London.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Feel bad for the fans.... And the team travel will be much worse than a team from the East Coast. Carolina, Buffalo or Jacksonville make more sense IMO.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you are at the bottem of the league you get screwed. It wasn't long ago that the Cardinals were the ones dealing with this crap.

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
Dont forget that Rams owner Stan Kroenke is a large stakeholder in London soccer club Arsenal. It is well known in England that he is doing all he can to try and buy the majority shareholding in Arsenal.

This Rams move may well be a strategy for him to increase his exposure even more in London in order to persuade current shareholders to sell to him.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The owner agreed to this.....TB said 'NO MORE' to London after being offered. You can bet 30 teams got offered the chance for London and said NO before St L said YES. It's all about $$$...nothing else. The owner will pocket a lot more cash by running out of town.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd be pissed off if I was Fisher. NFCW often comes down to one deciding game, I don't know how quickly Fisher can turn that club around (or if he even can) but between the game in the land of fish and chips and also the game they play after it. Rough reggae for sure.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be pissed off if I was Fisher. NFCW often comes down to one deciding game, I don't know how quickly Fisher can turn that club around (or if he even can) but between the game in the land of fish and chips and also the game they play after it. Rough reggae for sure.
He should be realistic. They are more than 3 years away for one game to mean more than 4-12 and 5-11.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He should be realistic. They are more than 3 years away for one game to mean more than 4-12 and 5-11.
That's what I though about the Whiners this year, I even thought they had a shot at Luck coming in with a new head coach and sticking with Alex friggin Smith. Shows what I know, but it shows it me a change can be made quickly with the same squad and a different dude at the helm.

If we need a QB coach, let's go find someone that worked with Harbaugh and give them an interview. Between Andrew Luck and how he has brainwashed Alex Smith, he gets the QB's head in the right space and gives them extreme confidence. I want some of what he is smoking!!!!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a season ticket holder, I would not be happy if the Cardinals were playing 3 home games in London for the next 3 years. (and still get stuck with paying for 2 worthless preseason games).

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score
I wonder if the Cards would get one of the other 2 games against them in 2013 or 14? I wouldn't mind a road game in London.

That would be my hope
I go every year and watch the Wembley game, if the Cards were there it would be fantastic!!

but the usually try to make it a NFC v AFC matchup :(

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would consider making the trip. Been through Heathrow a couple of times but never got to leave. Always wanted to check out London.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I'm still on the same schedule with hiatus during the fall, I might make that trip if we were ever sent out that way.

londonpete

Rookie
Reaction score

Yep that would be pretty good !
But then I do live 15 minutes from Wembley Stadium!

I started off supporting the St Louis Cardinals back in the 80s and the Cardinals will always be my team.
I won't be changing my allegiance any time soon , even if a team did make some sort of a base over here.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dont forget that Rams owner Stan Kroenke is a large stakeholder in London soccer club Arsenal. It is well known in England that he is doing all he can to try and buy the majority shareholding in Arsenal.

This Rams move may well be a strategy for him to increase his exposure even more in London in order to persuade current shareholders to sell to him.

He is the majority shareholder in Arsenal. Tampa Bays owner is also owner of Manchester United soccer club. Seems like a pattern here forming.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
John Clayton
By giving up a home game for the next three years and playing a game in London, the Rams have fans scratching their heads.

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
He is the majority shareholder in Arsenal. Tampa Bays owner is also owner of Manchester United soccer club. Seems like a pattern here forming.

Yes he is already the majority shareholder but what I was trying to say is that he is trying to get to the 67% or 70% that it takes for a majority shareholder to force the remaining shareholders to sell their share at market price. Thats been his goal and I believe he has a Russian competitor named Usmanov who is trying to do the same.

redforceone

Veteran
Reaction score
Poor RAMS Fans... Glad the NFL didn't move us to Mexico every year... on a cool note...Wife, daughter and I are doing the Wembley Stadium Tour in April!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Maybe the owners trying to get the team moved back to LA for mega $$$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard