Spurs @ Suns 10-31-18

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
It is looking more and more like the Suns should have kept Harrison around because of his intensity on defense.

Maybe he could have inspired some of the other players to put forth more effort on this end of the court.
I still hold out some hope that Jackson can turn into that guy that keeps everyone accountable on defense, but I don't see it from him yet. He's also such a negative on offense currently that a lot of his highlight defensive plays are because he gave it up on the other end.

Chandler was that guy once upon a time, but he's at least 3-4 years removed from actually giving a crap out on the floor.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
See, I am not as worried as most people. Booker looks like he's taken another step (albeit on offense only), Ayton looks much better than I expected him to look in his rookie year, Bridges looks really good and "complete" in limited minutes, Warren looks a lot better now that he added a three-point shot. Even Okobo looks better than than I expected. Suns also had to (and probably still do) just had to see how well the older players played at the beginning of the season. Booker hasn't been healthy yet this season, and the schedule has been brutal. There are big holes in the roster, and defensive effort has not been good, but I don't think things are as bad as most people think.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still hold out some hope that Jackson can turn into that guy that keeps everyone accountable on defense, but I don't see it from him yet. He's also such a negative on offense currently that a lot of his highlight defensive plays are because he gave it up on the other end.

Chandler was that guy once upon a time, but he's at least 3-4 years removed from actually giving a crap out on the floor.

I think Chandler is near the end of his career. At least he is still usable. I don't see any problem with his attitude. He can probably keep playing as a situational player for the right team.

As for Jackson, I need a pep talk about him... someone to remind me how good he is going to be.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think Chandler is near the end of his career. At least he is still usable. I don't see any problem with his attitude. He can probably keep playing as a situational player for the right team.

As for Jackson, I need a pep talk about him... someone to remind me how good he is going to be.

I got nothing.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Jackson is regressing before our very eyes. At this rate, he'll be back in his mother's womb before the end of the season.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I noticed you didn't mention him in your previous post. It's almost unbearable to think the Suns totally missed on the 2016-17 drafts.

Yep! All they needed was ONE of the picks to work out to be a real NBA player. Not a star- just a serviceable player. My God, they had two #4s, and a #8. I realize that drafts are a crap shoot, but you HAVE to hit on one of the three picks if you have a number 4 pick, trade for #8, and get another #4. I am just hoping that they hit on all three picks in 2018 draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The last time I saw any real life from Chandler was leading into our matchup against Dallas in Mexico City. He's been almost nailed to the floor since then. But I agree, I don't really see a problem with his attitude.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep! All they needed was ONE of the picks to work out to be a real NBA player. Not a star- just a serviceable player. My God, they had two #4s, and a #8. I realize that drafts are a crap shoot, but you HAVE to hit on one of the three picks if you have a number 4 pick, trade for #8, and get another #4. I am just hoping that they hit on all three picks in 2018 draft.

It makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

At least I'm feeling good about the 2018 draft. I think the Suns made solid picks in Ayton, Bridges and Okobo. Dare I say, I think Okobo might well be the Suns PGOTF.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It would have to involve absolutely nothing since the day he represented us in the lottery. He followed up a horrible summer league with an equally horrible preseason and now, after 7 games, he's sporting -0.4 PER, I didn't even know that was possible.

I'd probably give up on the guy if there was any value in doing so. The only consolation I can come up with is pretty much nobody tabbed him to win rookie of the year but the GM's voted him as the most likely best player 5 years down the road. So, as a rookie, they clearly believed more in his future than his present.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would have to involve absolutely nothing since the day he represented us in the lottery. He followed up a horrible summer league with an equally horrible preseason and now, after 7 games, he's sporting -0.4 PER, I didn't even know that was possible.

I'd probably give up on the guy if there was any value in doing so. The only consolation I can come up with is pretty much nobody tabbed him to win rookie of the year but the GM's voted him as the most likely best player 5 years down the road. So, as a rookie, they clearly believed more in his future than his present.

I'll be honest, JJ's devolution has EASILY been the most depressing thing about this team this season. I just don't get it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last time I saw any real life from Chandler was leading into our matchup against Dallas in Mexico City. He's been almost nailed to the floor since then. But I agree, I don't really see a problem with his attitude.

I actually saw Chandler jump high the other night for a rebound. He's not getting any younger but maybe he needs a change of scenery. Too bad there is not much need for a traditional center. I think the losing has wore on him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, JJ's devolution has EASILY been the most depressing thing about this team this season. I just don't get it.

I expected almost everything that has happened to this team so far. But holy cow I never saw this happening with JJ. He's single handedly making a weak NBA team look like a bad high school team.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We could have traded Jackson earlier for some good value now he ain't worth Jack. This team is a colossal failure and it's getting old. EJ was saying towards the middle of the game coaches aren't paying attention to the score just the talent on the floor earning playing time....we've been doing this for 4 years now! Freaking failure before game 10. Again thank Jesus for the Coyotes or my sports life would be in complete shambles

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually saw Chandler jump high the other night for a rebound. He's not getting any younger but maybe he needs a change of scenery. Too bad there is not much need for a traditional center. I think the losing has wore on him.

He jumps once for every 10 times he should leave his feet. He loses rebounds that 3 years ago he would have never lost. He's still a smart player but while he's in the running for worst backup big man in the league, he's still outplayed two thirds of our roster. He doesn't make us better but he's not dragging us down either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've even considered the idea of Jackson playing backup center or some PF to get better use out of him.

Until he improves his outside shot he needs to be near the basket. His shooting woes may be wearing on him. His offensive game presently reminds me a lot of Archie Goodwin and that's not a good thing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He jumps once for every 10 times he should leave his feet. He loses rebounds that 3 years ago he would have never lost. He's still a smart player but while he's in the running for worst backup big man in the league, he's still outplayed two thirds of our roster. He doesn't make us better but he's not dragging us down either.

For the Suns, Chandler is an expiring contract and a chip that did not land LaMarcus Aldridge.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Fox just went off for 30/15/10

What would the Suns look like with him instead of JJ right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I was reflecting on this awhile ago. Also the same applies to Markkanen.

There was a pretty spirited debate on the board between JJ and Fox last year.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was reflecting on this awhile ago. Also the same applies to Markkanen.
Mitchell as well.

The 2017 draft is so strong yet we end up with a likely bust despite a top 4 pick.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a pretty spirited debate on the board between JJ and Fox last year.

This is true. I was an ardent Fox supporter until it became clear the Suns were not going to draft him. They were locked on Jackson.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitchell as well.

The 2017 draft is so strong yet we end up with a likely bust despite a top 4 pick.

Mitchell might be the best of them all. Sometimes it pays not to look back.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This is true. I was an ardent Fox supporter until it became clear the Suns were not going to draft him. They were locked on Jackson.

I remember thinking Jackson was a steal but wings are a lot easier to come by than star PGs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember thinking Jackson was a steal but wings are a lot easier to come by than star PGs.

I guess I will go back to hoping that Jackson develops an outside shot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort