Spring training 2020 thread

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was never super high on the rotation but it has nothing to do with the first week of spring training. We know what Madbum is at this point of his career; top 30-35 starter. Ray is in a contract year and should have a good season. I think Gallen could be due for some regression if he doesn’t improve his control. I thought his ERA was lucky considering his walk-rate.

Everyone else is a question mark for various reasons.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Was at the game in Goodyear with my son, daughter-in-law and grandson.

The D-backs were out of it all the way, despite our late grand slam with
what looked to be by the smallest player on the field.

I am not concerned about the starting pitching at this time. Who knows
how the bullpen will be? But the hitters are showing very little.

And why was only one starter, Starling Marte, in the lineup today?

Also, Peralta has missed all but, I think, one game, a couple of games ago.
Is he injured?

And Yasmany Tomas had a brief hot start coming off the bench )as I mentioned
previously) but, as a starter and cleanup hitter at 1B today, did nothing.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And today, mostly starters in the lineup for the first TV game, except Starling, who was the only starter in the lineup yesterday.

As BB just said, the D-backs hitters are off to a "slow" start. 'Hope they pick it up early today, perhaps motivated by the late
grand slam yesterday.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Tim Locastro didn't get hit by a pitch leading off (he did get hit recently), but starts
the bottom of the 1st with a double. Ketel and the Freight Train ground out to end
the inning. At least they didn't pop up or strike out. Each team with a hit in the 1st.

And now I'll sit back and enjoy the TV game.

BTW, Steve and BB just mentioned that regular season rosters are now up to 26.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The D-backs' 3-8 spots in the batting order did not have a hit against the Giants today.

Their Spring Training record is now 2-7 -- a .222 percentage. Wins don't matter yet,
but morale does. The D-backs need to stop doing a Suns imitation or hit the Mendoza
line as a team.

I didn't keep the game on during the rain delay. I know they want to try to play a
complete game for the fans (which they did). But I wonder if, without a full infield
tarp, they should not have resumed play. I would assume that the infield was mud.

During my 42 years in Phoenix, I don't recall it raining more than five days a year
during the day. Now in the Valley of the Global Extremes, that is a thing of the past.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a hard time giving much importance to spring training results, especially for any established players. The fringe guys probably want to look as good as possible but I know a ton of pitchers go into Spring Training games with the plan of "I am going to work on my change up", and they will almost exclusively throw one pitch, situation or results be dammed. I don't blame them, the games do not matter: Curt Schilling was all about it.

If we have a pitcher or hitter who need to prove themselves just to make the roster and they end up looking like trash, it is a big red flag, but I think almost player who feels secure in their role uses Spring Training to tune up things specific to themselves, as opposed to trying to create the best possible outcome in the game at hand.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have a hard time giving much importance to spring training results, especially for any established players. The fringe guys probably want to look as good as possible but I know a ton of pitchers go into Spring Training games with the plan of "I am going to work on my change up", and they will almost exclusively throw one pitch, situation or results be dammed. I don't blame them, the games do not matter: Curt Schilling was all about it.

If we have a pitcher or hitter who need to prove themselves just to make the roster and they end up looking like trash, it is a big red flag, but I think almost player who feels secure in their role uses Spring Training to tune up things specific to themselves, as opposed to trying to create the best possible outcome in the game at hand.
One question. Then why aren't we at .500, if all of the teams do it?

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
MadBum gives up a run in the top of the 1st.

The D-backs have (most of) their projected starting lineup today.

This would be a good day for the bats to come to life.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MadBum gives up a run in the top of the 1st.

The D-backs have (most of) their projected starting lineup today.

This would be a good day for the bats to come to life.

Three more in the third