Spring training 2020 thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Listening to Burns and Gambo the other day, they made it sound as though this "opened up" competition for his rotation spot. I was a bit miffed by that. Perhaps they are ASU homers or merely looking for something to talk about on a slow day, but I personally would have pegged him to be our 7th best option as a starter this year. A dude who was more likely to end up as long relief or flat out waived than a given as a starter.

I would list our starters as:

Mad Bum
Robbie
Zac Gallen
Weaver

Then the 5th spot being a battle between Kelly, Young and Leake, with Kelly as a clear favorite.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
For @BC867 -

Ketel Marte was in the Dominican Republic when he heard about the trade.

“I’m happy to be back in my natural position,” he said. “It’s good for my body.”

Ketel Marte missed the last two weeks of the season after suffering a stress reaction in his back, something that may have been caused by a heavy workload and the amount of running he did in the outfield.

https://www.mlb.com/dbacks/news/starling-marte-will-help-improve-d-backs-defense

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ah, that sound reminds me of when I was about twelve years old -- a lefty whom they forced
to bat righty. And write righty. And eat righty.

I saw a kid at camp come up and hit from the opposite side of the plate. And he made that
sound as he pulled a double into the gap in right-center.

So I, without even having a practice swing, walked up to the opposite side of the batter's
box, too. And I heard that sound as I also pulled a double into the gap in right-center. My
first ever extra base hit.

I drove in the tying run in the final inning, then scored the winning run. That was my best
sound in the world. And it comes to mind every Spring. Go D-backs!

So you didn't go the opposite way and avoid the shift?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So you didn't go the opposite way and avoid the shift?
LOL. In the '50's, the only hitter who faced the Ted Williams shift was . . . Ted Williams.

If you want to verify that, you can go ask his head in Scottsdale. :)

But that double into the gap is why I advocate, to this day, that most hitters'
go-to swing should be a line drive into the gaps in left-center or right-center.
With the home run swing being utilized only on appropriate pitches.

Especially on a team like the D-backs with no boppers.