Sonics' Rashard Lewis charged with DUI

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...ug=ap-supersonics-lewis-dui&prov=ap&type=lgns

SEATTLE (AP) -- Seattle SuperSonics forward Rashard Lewis was charged Monday with drunken driving, resulting from an arrest on Interstate 90 in late September.

Lewis, 26, was driving one of five cars speeding eastbound together at about 3 a.m. on Sept. 30, Washington State Patrol Trooper Curt G. Boyle wrote in an investigation report filed in King County District Court. Boyle wrote that he tried to pull over all five vehicles, which were traveling at up to 84 mph, but only two stopped.

One was a 700-series BMW driven by Lewis, whose eyes were watery and speech was slurred, Boyle wrote. Lewis failed a field sobriety test and was taken to the Mercer Island Police Department, where he registered a 0.132 and 0.122 on successive breath tests, Boyle said. The intoxication threshold in Washington is 0.08.

"I have been charged with a traffic offense involving alcohol. I have cooperated fully with the police during the investigation," Lewis said in a statement released by the team. "Since the charge is pending, my attorney and I are working together to resolve this situation. In the meantime, I do not have any further comment and I look forward to the matter being resolved soon."

The driver of the other car that stopped, Gregory S. Stern, also has been charged with drunken driving, King County prosecutor's spokesman Dan Donohoe said.

Lewis, a forward who has scored 20 points in six consecutive games, faces a maximum of a year in jail, $5,000 fine and 90-day license suspension if convicted as charged.

"This incident happened before the season and we're looking forward to this matter being resolved soon," Seattle general manager Rick Sund added in the statement.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
When someone commits a DUI, it generally pisses me off. It is a stupid and reckless thing to do. But when some one as rich and famous as a pro athlete does it, it bugs me even more. If anyone can find someone to give them a ride home or could afford a freaking taxi cab it is a professional basketball player.

What is the point of an entourage if one of them won't be the freaking designated driver?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I get pissed when people get DUIs too, but I don't see why wealthy peopel should be held to a higher standard.

Their "entourage" is simply their group of friends - they just get a cool name. What is the point of having a group of friends if 1 won't be the DD?

Also, money has nothing to do with it. Most bars have programs for free cab rides home these days.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i wouldn't say that most bars do ...... but if I were rich, i'd definitely pony up for a driver & car when I went out ..... stylish and safe way to go out and have a good time

kind of disapointing, but he doesn't have a history of this kind of stuff ... hope it's just a bad error