Something's not right

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
What's going on with the Cards organization? Is there a perception out there we don't know about? Or, are the Cards giving out false information.

Mathieu makes 3 players, that we know of, that have taken LESS money to not play for the Cardinals. It was reported, or at least speculated, the Cards offered more guaranteed money and more overall money to Cousins yet he goes to Minny.

It was reported the Cards offered Drew Brees more money than what he ended up getting by going back to NO.

Mathieu was reportedly offered more money and term, although a cut from his Cards current salary, yet takes less to go the Houston.

That's not the norm as players almost exclusively follow the money. For the Cards to be involved in all 3 cases suggests something more is going on. Either the Cards contract offers are structured heavily in their favor, the reported offers were really not offered, or something else is going on but there is definitely a concern when players are not wanting to play for an organization that is offering the most money.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem is that without a doubt we are looked at as a team in transition. A new regime is taking over so a new culture will be infused and that is unknown.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Also, iirc, didn't the Cards supposedly offer Keenum more money as well? He got 18 mill. I thought I read where the Cards offered 20.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Outside of Larry and DJ...the Cards offense is in shambles. As a QB...I wouldn't want to come here, either.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally with disagree with you speculation. Brees was not leaving the Saints, he even said that. Cousins wanted the Vikings since the Super Bowl trip he took out there. The Jets thought they had him and were willing to pay more than anyone for him. Cards were really not in the running. Badger wouldn't take a pay cut from the Cards because of pride. He found out quickly that he over estimated his value.

Sorry, but you have been on a negative roll with everything the Cards have done in free agency.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Brees was never leaving New Orleans and Minnesota has a better chance to win than we do and GUARANTEED the whole contract. Honey Badger felt offended that we suggested a pay cut. Nothing to see here.
Big deal if they guaranteed the whole contract. The Cards supposedly offered more guaranteed money and a longer term. I can understand Brees but still, the Cards supposedly offered 2 years at 30 mill versus the 2 at 25 he took to stay. $10 mill is a lot of money, I don't care who you are.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
^^ you must be a big pessimist:). I'm getting some good things that's happening right now, according to some of the other posters. (I don't research, just read on here).
I think that, except for a few exceptional athletes, there might not be a whole lot of difference between them at this stage of the game.

I'm all in. Let's go Cards.:clapping::thewave:

Sorry, meant for asu.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

Sorry, but you have been on a negative roll with everything the Cards have done in free agency.
Can't argue with you there. When you give Sam Bradford 20 mill and sign Mike Glennon for anything, plus, you see other teams making moves to improve their draft position or acquire useful players that could help the Cards, ala Jarvis Landry or Cordy Glenn, there's not a lot to be positive about.

I guess I could excited about Justin Pugh but that's a dime a dozen player.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its all 3 different,

Brees didnt even talk to any other teams and went back to the saints like how Larry did with the Cards. Thats his team and home.

Cousins, the Viking arent in transition they have a killer Defense, a Oline, wrs, rbs, te and just needed a QB and were just a game away from the Superbowl. The Cards came in 2nd, but had no O line or WRs and wanted a 5 year deal. Cousins "Mr Cash me Outside, How bout dat" Wanted a 3 year deal so he can cash out again in 3. The Vikinge were the better choice. Had the Vikes decided to keep there QBs, I bet Cousins would have been a Card.

The Money Badger, got his pannies in a wad and saw Bradford get cashed out and money flying around in Free Agency and said I wont take less, Ill go somewhere else and get a new fat deal. He got bad advice and got waaaaay lower market than expected. He didnt force his cut to get a 1 year deal, he forced his way out, but there were no takers with that big contract. He had bad agent advice. He thought he was valued higher than he is currently worth.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I won't get into a pissing contest with you. Go back and look at every post you have done since free agency started, I got tired of all your negative comments and will now just ignore them.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big deal if they guaranteed the whole contract. The Cards supposedly offered more guaranteed money and a longer term. I can understand Brees but still, the Cards supposedly offered 2 years at 30 mill versus the 2 at 25 he took to stay. $10 mill is a lot of money, I don't care who you are.

And more than money comes into the decision in these cases. Minny's valid Super Bowl aspirations; Brees' attachment to the New Orleans community and, finally, the Badger's pride.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also, iirc, didn't the Cards supposedly offer Keenum more money as well? He got 18 mill. I thought I read where the Cards offered 20.
I didn't know ARZ made Keenum and offer. But like MIN, DEN also is in a better position to win than ARZ. Matthieu felt slighted by ARZ (he really wasn't) being asked to take a pay cut, his ego got in the way of staying in ARZ.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't argue with you there. When you give Sam Bradford 20 mill and sign Mike Glennon for anything, plus, you see other teams making moves to improve their draft position or acquire useful players that could help the Cards, ala Jarvis Landry or Cordy Glenn, there's not a lot to be positive about.

I guess I could excited about Justin Pugh but that's a dime a dozen player.

Sam Bradford is guaranteed $15m. He'd have to play 16 games to get the $20m and, if he does, it will be money well spent. Glennon is a solid backup. We'll be spending less this year than last on the QB contingent.

Dime-a-dozen, 27-year-olds don't get $45m dollar deals.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, it's already been said by multiple people. Cousins has a chance to win a Super Bowl right now, and has been paid like crazy the past two years, and now will have more GUARANTEED money than he knows what to do with, plus the chance for another huge payout in three years. No one was beating the Vikings on this one.

Same with Brees. He's nearly 40, his family is entrenched in New Orleans, he's an icon to the franchise... it wasn't worth any dollar amount to go play for one year on a roster that probably isn't better than the Saints.

Mathieu F'd up.

Believe it or not, it isn't ALL about money. Would you take a job that offered you a 25% pay raise but asked you to move your family across the country and uproot their lives, and promised you'd be working 12 hours a day instead of 8 hours? Probably not.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I won't get into a pissing contest with you. Go back and look at every post you have done since free agency started, I got tired of all your negative comments and will now just ignore them.
That's okay.

I've been high as anyone on the Cards roster the last few years and have said as much, very often too. But I haven't liked much at all this off season on anything they have or have not done and am speaking my mind that way. Or, are we not allowed to be critical if we don't like their moves.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
That's okay.

I've been high as anyone on the Cards roster the last few years and have said as much, very often too. But I haven't liked much at all this off season on anything they have or have not done and am speaking my mind that way. Or, are we not allowed to be critical if we don't like their moves.
It's different to say that we don't like their moves than it is to say that players are intentionally avoiding the Cardinals when that has no basis in the players you make an example of.

It's almost like saying we're a bad franchise because Aaron Rodgers hasn't demanded he be traded to us.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Brees gave a hometown discount and opted to stay in NO. Zero chance he was leaving. Cousins stated he only wanted a 3 year contract, not a 5 year, and went to a team that offered that and that has a legitimate chance to win now. He was a lock to go to the Vikings. TM gambled that he could make more on the open market and lost. There was no interest in Keenum. Non story really.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
How dare people have differing opinions? The fact is the Cards created this dilemma and forced the team into this position via a combination of subpar drafts, inaction, failure to plan and hubris. Now the team is left with gaping holes, few centerpieces, and so much uncertainty that quality FAs have no desire to come here forcing the team to overpay 2nd and 3rd tier players with injury concerns.

Color me unimpressed.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Bradford was their second choice all along. Brees was flirted with and was never a real option.

As far as HB goes, my guess is his restructure had an expiration date, and when he didn’t take it he found out his market value wasn’t what he expected and we had already spent his money by then or he was too proud to come back and beg or both.

Pugh could’ve gone to Indy probably for more money. Bradford was offered More two other places.

It doesn’t seem like people are as excited as the last to come play here but when you have no QB and a rookie coach, isn’t that normal?

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's okay.

I will back you on this. You definitely are not a permanent darksider.