Something's not right

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. Cousins got the structure he wanted on a team that just went to the NFC Championship game.

2. Brees has a great thing in NO, and it sounds like he took less because he wants to stay there, feels the uptrend, and in honor of Benson. They said he was trying up to the end to help the Saints win. I think honestly only if they stiffed him hard, Benson wasn't dying, and we or someone else offered a ton more was the only way he was leaving.

3.Honey Badger got emotional and/or bad advice from an agent.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Brees gave a hometown discount and opted to stay in NO. Zero chance he was leaving. Cousins stated he only wanted a 3 year contract, not a 5 year, and went to a team that offered that and that has a legitimate chance to win now. He was a lock to go to the Vikings. TM gambled that he could make more on the open market and lost. There was no interest in Keenum. Non story really.
These from USAToday:

The Cardinals were reportedly one of four teams who were very interested in the 30-year-old quarterback who had a career season with the Minnesota Vikings.

Many believed Keenum was the Cardinals’ second option after Cousins to address the position.

I think I heard it first on ESPN Radio. I swear, I heard the Cards offered 20 mill but am not 100% sure.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Reaction score
What's going on with the Cards organization? Is there a perception out there we don't know about? Or, are the Cards giving out false information.

Mathieu makes 3 players, that we know of, that have taken LESS money to not play for the Cardinals. It was reported, or at least speculated, the Cards offered more guaranteed money and more overall money to Cousins yet he goes to Minny.

It was reported the Cards offered Drew Brees more money than what he ended up getting by going back to NO.

Mathieu was reportedly offered more money and term, although a cut from his Cards current salary, yet takes less to go the Houston.

That's not the norm as players almost exclusively follow the money. For the Cards to be involved in all 3 cases suggests something more is going on. Either the Cards contract offers are structured heavily in their favor, the reported offers were really not offered, or something else is going on but there is definitely a concern when players are not wanting to play for an organization that is offering the most money.

Cousins wasn't going anywhere but the Vikings. He said as much before FA even started. No way Brees was leaving NO. He knew he only has a few years left to play. Why would he pack up & move his family? Reading waaay too much into things.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Money isn't the only motivation.

HB betting on himself to earn a future multi-year contract after his one year deal with the Texans that will be more than his restructured Card contract.

$7 mil + future multi-year contract greater than redone Card contract.

Brees is a hero in NO. Helped get the city up and running after the Katrina devastation. If he would have left NO, he would have walked away from the legacy he has worked for his entire career.

Cousins has already played with a team in 'rebuild' mode with Washington---heading to a team that was within one game of the SB. Fully guaranteed contract. No brainer. Will be back on the FA market in 3 years.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
These from USAToday:

The Cardinals were reportedly one of four teams who were very interested in the 30-year-old quarterback who had a career season with the Minnesota Vikings.

Many believed Keenum was the Cardinals’ second option after Cousins to address the position.

I think I heard it first on ESPN Radio. I swear, I heard the Cards offered 20 mill but am not 100% sure.

Local guys have all said Bradford was ranked above Keenum and frankly he IS a better qb if he isn’t hurt.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Considering how quickly we moved on Bradford, I'm not seeing it. The Cards and Broncos signed their QBs almost simultaneously.
I think the logic is this, Bradford despite not being healthy as Keenum is a better QB. Keenum needs a situation like MIN to have the year he had last year, he wasn't going to get that in ARZ. I personally do not see Bradford playing 16 games next year so not sure if the extra $5M is a performance, roster or game bonus but I think he only ends up costing ARZ $15M which is exactly what Keenum gets in his 1 year of his new deal.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think what's rubbing people the wrong way is that Keim said he was going to be aggressive in free agency and so far he signed a QB with health concerns, another who, frankly, stinks, and 2 offensive linemen who both ended last season on IR. That doesn't inspire confidence.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cardinals draft a QB, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully they have a QB in mind.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I think what's rubbing people the wrong way is that Keim said he was going to be aggressive in free agency and so far he signed a QB with health concerns, another who, frankly, stinks, and 2 offensive linemen who both ended last season on IR. That doesn't inspire confidence.
He never specified the quality of the players he'd aggressively target. :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He said he was going to be aggressive at QB, not in Free Agency. And he was. He offered Cousins an absolute monster of a contract. He offered Drew Brees a contract. Neither one came here, but he was aggresssive. And when we didn't get either one, he quickly moved on the two guys who were his backup plan, for better or worse. We had agreed to terms with two QBs before FA started.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Keim is trying to fill holes on the cheap, only Pugh was not cheap. I don't fault him for trying to stretch out his budget because players tend to regress after getting paid, with the exception being Calais Campbell.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What's going on with the Cards organization? Is there a perception out there we don't know about? Or, are the Cards giving out false information.

Mathieu makes 3 players, that we know of, that have taken LESS money to not play for the Cardinals. It was reported, or at least speculated, the Cards offered more guaranteed money and more overall money to Cousins yet he goes to Minny.

It was reported the Cards offered Drew Brees more money than what he ended up getting by going back to NO.

Mathieu was reportedly offered more money and term, although a cut from his Cards current salary, yet takes less to go the Houston.

That's not the norm as players almost exclusively follow the money. For the Cards to be involved in all 3 cases suggests something more is going on. Either the Cards contract offers are structured heavily in their favor, the reported offers were really not offered, or something else is going on but there is definitely a concern when players are not wanting to play for an organization that is offering the most money.

we offered cousins five years... he wanted three...which leaves us with less security.

there was zero chance Brees was leaving the Saints...count the chances,...zero.

Badger was butt hurt because he thought he was worth more than Keim offered... turns out he wasnt... he is now on a prove it deal hoping he has a killer year so he can cash in next season...signing here for less didnt give him a chance to hit FA and recoup his lost cash if he has a great year... plus, Houston is only a 4 hour drive to go home and see his family

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big deal if they guaranteed the whole contract. The Cards supposedly offered more guaranteed money and a longer term. I can understand Brees but still, the Cards supposedly offered 2 years at 30 mill versus the 2 at 25 he took to stay. $10 mill is a lot of money, I don't care who you are.

come on. Bree has made so much damn money, is a fixture as a legend in New Orleans and they were one play away from the NFC Title game. His decision to stay makes all the sense in the world as opposed to going to a team with a bad O-line, a HOF on possibly his last year, regime change, etc. etc.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It seems like nobody takes hometown discounts to stay with the Cards anymore unless you’re Fitz, and even then he’s getting paid accordingly. All the FA’s from the Cards took more money to go somewhere else. All the *valuable* FA’s this year took less money to go to another team. Lmao, the Cardinal way.

Reaction score
He said he was going to be aggressive at QB, not in Free Agency. And he was. He offered Cousins an absolute monster of a contract. He offered Drew Bree's a contract. Neither one came here, but he was aggresssive. And when we didn't get either one, he quickly moved on the two guys who were his backup plan, for better or worse. We had agreed to terms with two QBs before FA started.

+1

He also offered Brees a monster contract of $30mil a year for 2 years fully guaranteed from what was reported.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It seems like nobody takes hometown discounts to stay with the Cards anymore unless you’re Fitz, and even then he’s getting paid accordingly. All the FA’s from the Cards took more money to go somewhere else. All the *valuable* FA’s this year took less money to go to another team. Lmao, the Cardinal way.
Except for the fact that Bradford took less money to be a Cardinal?

You're just being glass half empty for no reason.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How dare people have differing opinions? The fact is the Cards created this dilemma and forced the team into this position via a combination of subpar drafts, inaction, failure to plan and hubris. Now the team is left with gaping holes, few centerpieces, and so much uncertainty that quality FAs have no desire to come here forcing the team to overpay 2nd and 3rd tier players with injury concerns.

Color me unimpressed.

Bet you can't actually support this contention.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

"Aggressive" doesn't guarantee success.

From what we know, he was in fact aggressive.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Be real man Bree’s was never going to leave New Orleans. The guy doesn’t give a poo about $10M over two years he’s made well over $200 million in his career with endorsements. New Orleans was one awful tackle attempt away from going to the NFCCG, zero chance he was going to leave that loaded team (and city) he’s been with forever to come play for an offense that has DJ, an old Fitz and literally no one else with a new coaching staff. He’s going out as a Saint and will retire as a god in that state.

Same story with Cousins. It’s not rocket science and it’s not indicative that we’re some awful org no one wants to play for. Minnesota and NO are wayyy better options for a QB that wants to win and while still making a lot of money to boot.

Cousins is setting himself up to make a ton of money for three years then be able to get another massive contract if he plays well. So if he does just that it’s a better option than taking a longer deal with us, 0 chance he was getting a better guaranteed money per year deal with whatever we offered.

The badger got butthurt about having to take a paycut, plain and simple.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I'ts the Russians out to destroy the American way of life

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen