So the Lakers are paying 8 million for Odom....

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If I had the choice of Richardson at 8 and Odom at 13 I'd still take Odom. The rich get richer, and besides, who needs Odom when we used the Wallace savings for Channing Frye? :rolleyes:

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Not really a fair comparison. The economy is clearly dicating the offers teams are giving right now. The Suns did not sign J-Rich to that deal, nor Wallace to his. This was done when over spending for players was the only way to get them.

Sucks to be a FA right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns moving Diaw and Bell for JRich was just a money saving move (long term) because Diaw had a year longer on his salary. The Suns look at salary first and players second.

OP
OP
D

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
The Suns moving Diaw and Bell for JRich was just a money saving move (long term) because Diaw had a year longer on his salary. The Suns look at salary first and players second.

Not true. Bell's contract expires at the end of this year. Keeping Bell and Diaw would have made sense financially.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Not true. Bell's contract expires at the end of this year. Keeping Bell and Diaw would have made sense financially.

Purely financially, yes. But considering the length of Diaw's contract and the fact that he had become a cancer, the trade was a good one almost regardless of Richardson's performance.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Purely financially, yes. But considering the length of Diaw's contract and the fact that he had become a cancer, the trade was a good one almost regardless of Richardson's performance.

i would say "almost in spite of Richardson's performance."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm just pointing out that Diaw had an extra year on his contract more than Richardson. I think the Suns were trying to move two players that were a distraction. I'm not totally sure how the math equates but I don't think the Suns wanted that extra year of Diaw's contract.

Here is a tidbit from a Paul Coro article dated December 10, 2008.

Richardson will make $12,222,222 this season, $13,333,333 next season and $14,444,444 in 2010-11. Diaw figured to be a tough trade chip with a contract paying him $9 million per season through 2011-12. Bell makes $5 million this season and $5.25 million next season.

Also Richardson will become an expiring contract after next season with the Suns.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/12/10/20081210sunstradeonline.html

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You forgot the part of the contract that closed the deal. A Scrooge McDuck sized bin of:

You must be registered for see images

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not really a fair comparison. The economy is clearly dicating the offers teams are giving right now. The Suns did not sign J-Rich to that deal, nor Wallace to his. This was done when over spending for players was the only way to get them.

Sucks to be a FA right now.

Shhhhhhh. Please stop, you are pissing on da_suns_fan's pessimistic parade.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Lakers are paying Morrison 5 mil. and Bynum 12 mil. The Suns are paying Barbosa 6 mil.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
i would say "almost in spite of Richardson's performance."

Why do you consider Richardson's performance poor? Because he blew a defensive coverage at the end of one of his first games in Phoenix, or because his three-point shooting was merely good instead of excellent?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Lamar Odom had been putting up the same numbers as a Milwaukee Buck rather than an LA Laker nobody would know who this guy is...nor would anybody care....this guy is incredibly overrated IMO.
The guy has an NBA body that should translate into being a much better than he has been....offensively and defensively.
This is obviously good for the LakeShow but only because they lost Ariza to Houston.
I'd take Ariza over Odom in a NY minute.

OP
OP
D

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
If Lamar Odom had been putting up the same numbers as a Milwaukee Buck rather than an LA Laker nobody would know who this guy is...nor would anybody care....this guy is incredibly overrated IMO.
The guy has an NBA body that should translate into being a much better than he has been....offensively and defensively.
This is obviously good for the LakeShow but only because they lost Ariza to Houston.
I'd take Ariza over Odom in a NY minute.

LMAO. I would trade Richardson for odom in a NY minute. And I would even take back one of their bad contracts to make the deal work.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Why do you consider Richardson's performance poor? Because he blew a defensive coverage at the end of one of his first games in Phoenix, or because his three-point shooting was merely good instead of excellent?

Maybe because he is being paid twice as much as Leandro to be a poor mans version of Leandro?

I'm not sure how many Suns games you caught after the "addition" of Richardson, and I know his numbers look ok, but I can't imagine anyone would say that his addition improved the team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe because he is being paid twice as much as Leandro to be a poor mans version of Leandro?

I'm not sure how many Suns games you caught after the "addition" of Richardson, and I know his numbers look ok, but I can't imagine anyone would say that his addition improved the team.

Every player can't have contracts like Leandro's. He has one of the best contracts in the league for anyone not in their rookie scale.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Every player can't have contracts like Leandro's. He has one of the best contracts in the league for anyone not in their rookie scale.

True, but contract does factor into how a players performance is judged. Richardson doesn't do nearly enough to be paid 13 mil per.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I still LOL to the Richardson detractors. Suns acquire a formidable #2 after Bell falls into oblivion, yet want to ship the guy out for peanuts? Please...

I would still do that trade a million times over. J-Rich will have more impact this season than last, and he still was productive last year.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JRich got that big contract as a #1 option on his team. Last year he became the 2nd or 3rd and under a coach that wasn't too great with athletic and fast players (until Gentry that is). The focus was so much on Shaq and Amare, I don't think he was ever comfortable in the team. Now he has a chance to be more involved and really cement a place for himself.

It took LB a couple years to do that, I think a few months isn't too much to ask for JRich. If by the All-Star break he hasn't improved from last season, then maybe we can really criticize him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still LOL to the Richardson detractors. Suns acquire a formidable #2 after Bell falls into oblivion, yet want to ship the guy out for peanuts? Please...

I would still do that trade a million times over. J-Rich will have more impact this season than last, and he still was productive last year.

I don't think it has much do do with Richardson as a player. The Suns need help especially at the C-F position and possibly at back-up PG. Since the Suns are over the LT, Richardson represents one of the few areas where the Suns might be able to squeeze some dollars besides Pavlovic. It's really going to be sad if Lopez and Frye are the best the Suns can offer at center. It seems the Suns are content to wait for scraps to fall from the table. Personally I like Richardson as a player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it has much do do with Richardson as a player. The Suns need help especially at the C-F position and possibly at back-up PG. Since the Suns are over the LT, Richardson represents one of the few areas where the Suns might be able to squeeze some dollars besides Pavlovic. It's really going to be sad if Lopez and Frye are the best the Suns can offer at center. It seems the Suns are content to wait for scraps to fall from the table. Personally I like Richardson as a player.

Yes. The issue is his contract. However, without Richardson, we have a big hole at the 2. Yes we need improvement at the pf and center position, but that depends on how Frye, Clark, and Lopez develop. One of the problems is that we need backcourt D and Richardson doesn't make up for Nash's deficiencies in that area. We need a long range bomber who plays great D. I am not sure if that guy is available.

Hill has been a better than average defender for us, and Clark seems to excel in that area already. With those two, D on the 2-4 positions seems solid. If Lopez could be a little less spastic, he actually could be a decent defender at the 4-5. That still leaves us with some trouble defending the 1. Dragic shows signs, but there are just not very many in the league at all who can defend the speedy pg's. In fact, I do not know anyone.

Expect some rookie pg's this year to really do well.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Jason Richardson is the best SG we have had other then 1 1/2 years of Joe Johnson since Thunder Dan.

He is the ideal #3 option on a good team. Sure he is overpayed but there are guys making 13 Million who don't get off the bench and have to be bought out so its all relative.

There are a lot of problems and bad moves this team has had over the past 5 years. Ricardson doesn't even make the Top 10.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I think a lot of the Richardson haters will quiet down a few months into the season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen