So, how good is this team going to be?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We cant trade Scola for a year.

But I agree that it makes sence to listen to offers for Gortat

BC867, if you're a 28 win team it does not matter if youre faceless. Gortat is an asset, his value probably wont be higher than it is now, and if this team takes 3 years to rebuild then it would be best to move a guy like Gortat now when his value is best.

I didn't know that. Makes sense though...unless you're the Lakers where it seems that commisioners and owners alike will do anything to accommodate you ;)

Ok,then i'll change my statement to Gortat being moved at the deadline. I believe that we won't recognize most of this current roster in 3 years time.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BC867, if you're a 28 win team it does not matter if youre faceless. Gortat is an asset, his value probably wont be higher than it is now, and if this team takes 3 years to rebuild then it would be best to move a guy like Gortat now when his value is best.
I was talking about another aspect of the business of basketball.

Five Wings on the court is not going to put cash customers into the seats.

You can't overlook that aspect of considering trades, in both the turnstyles and viewing and listening to our sponsors' commercials on TV and radio.

That, too, contributes to value in Sarver's pockets which, hopefully, is invested back into the team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was talking about another aspect of the business of basketball.

You can't overlook that aspect of considering trades, in both the turnstyles and viewing and listening to our sponsors' commercials on TV and radio.

That, too, contributes to value in Sarver's pockets which, hopefully, is invested back into the team.

I understand that... but a 28 win team is not going to be a huge draw, Gortat or not. The team could trade Gortat tomorrow and I doubt it would make a significant impact in ticket sales or sponsorship. If you have a star you can still fill the seats with a crap team, but we dont have a star, Gortat does not even remotely qualify as a "draw" for sponsors and fans.

The Suns business model should center around their long term success on the court, that will get sponsors and fans. And part of that should include moving assets for value when the time calls for it.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, they will have no problems with expectations this year. With fans expecting 32 wins, anything above that is a pleasant surprise, anything below that is a better pick.

Win-win in the expectations dept.

I would be curious to know what everyone's "best case scenario" for the coming year would be.

Beasley matures and breaks out. ONeal plays really well and becomes a desirable trade commodity at the break. Dragic averages over 10 assists and shoots over 50% overall. Marshall turns into a very capable backup and other teams decide they need him as a starter. Telfair produces consistently when given minutes. Frye gets his shot back. Morris rebounds in double figures.

Yikes. Too many players for all of them to be good stories.

Of course, my best case scenario would be for Kobe and DHoward to start feuding and get Brown fired over it.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, my best case scenario would be for Kobe and DHoward to start feuding and get Brown fired over it.

Brown getting fired is the worst thing that can happen! That idiot is probably the ojnly thing holding them back from winning the next three titles.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Brown getting fired is the worst thing that can happen! That idiot is probably the ojnly thing holding them back from winning the next three titles.

Yeah, why is getting Brown fired a hope? To me, he's just a caretaker, not a coach. Not with that cast of characters on the court. If anything, he's going to be the Robert Vaughn of the Laker A-Team. Except I hate this particular A-Team.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Worst thing that could happen to the Fakers is if Kobe would start getting called on his elbow use. On each square up and drive he leads with his elbow into the defender's face. Just like the Mailman would kick guys when driving and shooting that ugly jumper.

It's like school on Sundays. No class.

It's going to be horrible watching Steve play in gold and purple btw. Horrible.

dziki

Rookie
Reaction score
by the way - slin, Gortat scored yesterday 30 pts in a game against Switzerland. I know - it`s nothing like nba but still - he has 30 pts in a single game ;-)

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its funny, this may be the worst weve been for a decade, but its the most interested ive been in years.

We can either be suprisingly good, or horrendous.

The interesting thing to me is that this Suns team is, nearly top to bottom, brand new. There is no culture anymore because this basically 5 strangers brought together to start. There are no traditions or leaders or inside jokes or anything.

Its crazy, ive never seen a rebuild this thorough.

Dragic will be Dragic, whatever that means on any given night.

The Hammer will be good most of the time and disappear late, a usual.

Beasely. The odds he busts out this year? Pretty slim. But we can hope.

ONeal. Hate it.

Johnson, middle of the road guy. No effect.

Also, dunno if anyone else watched the preseason games, but jeez, Marshall.is.bad. I dont know how hes in the NBA bad. Its like we drafted the real Kendall Marshalls crosseyed, club footed, 3 fingered, dementia having evil twin brother.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Also, dunno if anyone else watched the preseason games, but jeez, Marshall.is.bad. I dont know how hes in the NBA bad. Its like we drafted the real Kendall Marshalls crosseyed, club footed, 3 fingered, dementia having evil twin brother.

I watched all the summer league games. Sounds like you missed the last one. He played 10 times better in that one and gave me some hope.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not if he doesn't have to play two halves of 18 consecutive minutes against starting Centers who were rested, as he did for most of his Suns career.

With Lopez gone, hopefully, that won't have to happen. Addition by subtraction.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if he doesn't have to play two halves of 18 consecutive minutes against starting Centers who were rested, as he did for most of his Suns career.

With Lopez gone, hopefully, that won't have to happen. Addition by subtraction.

Ummm, when did he do that? Also, how is that even possible? How do you play 36 minutes against an opposing starting center and the other guy be rested? Wouldn't that guy have played those same minutes in your scenario? Or are you suggesting that all those other teams have multiple starting centers?

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ummm, when did he do that? Also, how is that even possible? How do you play 36 minutes against an opposing starting center and the other guy be rested? Wouldn't that guy have played those same minutes in your scenario? Or are you suggesting that all those other teams have multiple starting centers?
For all the time that Gortat was getting starter's minutes coming off the bench behind Lopez (at roughly the 6-minute mark of the 1st and 3rd quarters), then staying in 'til the end of each half, he was playing 18 consecutive minutes in each half, because Gentry knew better than to put Lopez back in.

It wasn't the quantity of minutes Gortat was playing. It was the consecutive minutes.

For the final six minutes of each half, his butt was dragging while trying to defend, and outscore, the opponents' starting Centers, who had rested for parts of the 2nd and 4th quarters.

And the longer it went on, the more his butt dragged.

Thanks for the chuckle about "multiple starting centers". How would you like to play 18 consecutive minutes vs. opponents who rested after 12?

The approach was unique. Let Lopez come out to try to score a few baskets (and not much else) at the start of each half, then be banished to the bench. Unique, yes. Successful, no.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Its funny, this may be the worst weve been for a decade, but its the most interested ive been in years.

We can either be suprisingly good, or horrendous.

The interesting thing to me is that this Suns team is, nearly top to bottom, brand new. There is no culture anymore because this basically 5 strangers brought together to start. There are no traditions or leaders or inside jokes or anything.

Its crazy, ive never seen a rebuild this thorough.

Dragic will be Dragic, whatever that means on any given night.

Beasely. The odds he busts out this year? Pretty slim. But we can hope.

ONeal. Hate it.

Johnson, middle of the road guy. No effect.

You summed it up pretty good here. If Marshall is bad then fear not, Telfair got pretty good last year so hopefully he can pick it up and continue to earn playing time. I hope he has worked on his shooting and not just driving around in low rider while playing rap music and wearing a huge amount of jewelry. That guy should try some Curtis Mayfield. I guess maybe Dragon can play some 2 if Coach want's to see both Telfair and Dragic on the floor at the same time.

I don't have high hopes for any of the guys really. I want Keef to play inside and not hang around on the perimeter. I want Dragic to be aggressive. I want the Hammer to keep it up. I hope Scola does not embarrass us with his acting and flopping. If Beasley or Jimmy Cricket Wesley Snipes breaks out it would put a smile on my face.

Did I forget anyone?

(I ignored Jermaine O'Neal on purpose.)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I want Keef to play inside and not hang around on the perimeter.

Why? Morris is never going to be an above-average banger among PFs. If you force him to go head-to-head against a player who is bigger and stronger, he's probably going to struggle. The strategy should be to look where you have an advantage over your opponents, not to go after a particular position or style just because someone says that "that's what PFs are supposed to do."