So Frustrating!!! (Shipp)

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Will someone please tell me why Shipp and his 1.75 mil Cap hit is still on the team. And why Gandy, who played well, but is on the last year of his contract hasn't been resigned to a longer deal to lower his cap hit? He's sitting there at 7 mil, we could get it down to 4 mil with a 3 year extension. There is no reason we can't be some what active in FA even with Fitz cap number. We are at roughly 9 mil left right now, cutting Shipp and extending Gandy could put us around 14 mil, more than enough to be more active in FA.

Its mind boggling!!!!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Will someone please tell me why Shipp and his 1.75 mil Cap hit is still on the team. And why Gandy, who played well, but is on the last year of his contract hasn't been resigned to a longer deal to lower his cap hit? He's sitting there at 7 mil, we could get it down to 4 mil with a 3 year extension. There is no reason we can't be some what active in FA even with Fitz cap number. We are at roughly 9 mil left right now, cutting Shipp and extending Gandy could put us around 14 mil, more than enough to be more active in FA.

Its mind boggling!!!!
Agree 100%. Instead of making Fitz out the bad guy, get busy on some of these other contracts.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Instead of making Fitz out the bad guy, get busy on some of these other contracts.

I agree. Every agent can't be playing hardball. Somebody wants a new contract. Gandy played well and it would make sense to extend his deal and save some cap room.

Reaction score
Very good suggestion, Hookem! Gandy played well enough to warrant the extension, imo.

I have liked Shipp, but he contributed practically nothing last season. If you aren't going to use him, lose him!

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Its mind boggling!!!!

Rod can only handle one thing at a time. Give him some breathing room. This Fitz thing will be done by July just in time for the first round holdout.

Actually, though, I am being too hard on Rod. I am sure he will sign the gimp Odom during that time period.

After that, then Graves will turn his attention to Mr Gandy.

Being an NFL GM is tough, tough work.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Its mind boggling!!!!

First off 1.75 mill isnt all that much. Secondly 7 million is Cheap for a LT that played at the level Gandy played last year. JMHO.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Why is Shipp still with the team?

Is there a reason ? (Once, again I hate to say it since I am a Shipp fan)

With our front office (Graves & Co.) letting Fitzgerald get lambasted in the press, and the "excuse" for not signing this guy and that is money why are we holding onto Shipp? Every bit can help.

Plus if Terrell Smith is "average" he is another that could go, but that would put FB in our draft plans.

Per Urban's blog Gandy is also a name to consider cutting but I hope not. For once we have SOME depth at OL. I would like to keep it that way.

It is a PR mess. Which leads me to the point of who in the Cardinals FO is in charge of press releases and what not cause he is doing a horrible job.

Finally, correct me if I am wrong but can't we sign as many players as we want and worry about getting under the cap later ?

So why not bring Faneca in if the Cardinals were in fact interested in him, sign him, and worry about the cap later ? To lay the blame on Fitzgerald is passing the buck IMO and a cr@p move by our FO.

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
First off 1.75 mill isnt all that much. Secondly 7 million is Cheap for a LT that played at the level Gandy played last year. JMHO.

Its not cheap. What was the franchise number for Davis last year? 9 mil? So at 7 mil he's just below the franchise number. And while I agree he played well last year, lets not forget before he came to the desert he was a journeyman lineman, he's at or close to his ceiling. Also I'm sure he would rather have like 12 mil in SB and 2 mil in salary, for example. Extend him for three years and you reduce his cap hit buy a couple million at least.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I also don't understand holding onto Shipp as he seems to be long past his uefullness. Great guy but is not producing at all.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We CAN be active in free agency. Right NOW, we have six million in cap space available. You know, it must have been put in print about 50 times since the end of the season that we would not be active early in free agency. Nothing that has happened so far should truly unexpected.

That said, Shipp should be dumped at his number.. I agree totally with that.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is there a reason ? (Once, again I hate to say it since I am a Shipp fan)

With our front office (Graves & Co.) letting Fitzgerald get lambasted in the press, and the "excuse" for not signing this guy and that is money why are we holding onto Shipp? Every bit can help.

Plus if Terrell Smith is "average" he is another that could go, but that would put FB in our draft plans.

Per Urban's blog Gandy is also a name to consider cutting but I hope not. For once we have SOME depth at OL. I would like to keep it that way.

It is a PR mess. Which leads me to the point of who in the Cardinals FO is in charge of press releases and what not cause he is doing a horrible job.

Finally, correct me if I am wrong but can't we sign as many players as we want and worry about getting under the cap later ?

So why not bring Faneca in if the Cardinals were in fact interested in him, sign him, and worry about the cap later ? To lay the blame on Fitzgerald is passing the buck IMO and a cr@p move by our FO.

Why is Shipp still with the team? Because Rod Graves is the GM.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score

As far as I see it, Smith has a role on this team. He is also a good blocking FB. I don't think he should be cut.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why is Shipp still with the team? Because Rod Graves is the GM.

This isn't a criticism of Graves, but I think this is closer to the truth than not. The Bidwills extended Graves' contract and gave him a huge raise despite his lack of production as the leader of the football side of the company. Graves gave Shipp a big new contract last offseason even though he would struggle to hold down the #3 job with 25 other franchises in the league. Graves offered to add $2 million per year on to the remaining two seasons on Anquan's contract last year.

Graves is making personnel decisions, not people decisions. Everyone who has watched Marcel Shipp play knows that he tries his hardest. I think that's how Graves decided to compensate him, regardless of what his actual value to the rest of the league is.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Gandy still has a year on his contract after this one.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1621

Yup. Three-year deal.

Also, Gandy's $6.8 million cap number would put him among the six highest-cap OL in the NFL in 2007. 2008 numbers are not available. His cap number will be higher than Derrick Dockery's and Steve Hutchinson's. He'll be compensated $2 million more than Bryant McKinnie.

gohard83

Registered
Reaction score
We CAN be active in free agency. Right NOW, we have six million in cap space available. You know, it must have been put in print about 50 times since the end of the season that we would not be active early in free agency. Nothing that has happened so far should truly unexpected.

That said, Shipp should be dumped at his number.. I agree totally with that.

Most teams will need 5 million to sign players in the draft and have another 5 million just in case of mid season emergency signings.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Rod can only do one thing at a time. And Marcel knows how to stay out of trouble so he gets forgotten.

Gandy needs to be extended. For all of the talk about him being a poor LT, I thought he really played solidly for us.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Overlooked point

yes, Shipp may not warrant such money at the HB role he now has but I noticed one thing about him this last season...he was a very good special teams player. Is that worth all the money? who knows but he was in on a number or tackles.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
yes, Shipp may not warrant such money at the HB role he now has but I noticed one thing about him this last season...he was a very good special teams player. Is that worth all the money? who knows but he was in on a number or tackles.

He is a good special teams player--at letting opposing teams block punts. Every time we had a punt blocked, it was because Shipp missed his man.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Crap blocker both blocking for the punt team, punt return man, and kickoff return man. As for his 10 special teams tackles those can be replace fairly easily at a 1/4 of the price.

As to the orginal thread starting post. You always have to be under the cap, cant go over it ever. Its just that the rules on how it is accounted changes in the offseason, ie - the rule of 51.

Also we already have the cap space to have signed Faneca to the 5 year 21 Mill gauranteed contract he got from the Jets. Highest paid OL ever by the way something I must say once again that we were never going to pay for. 21 spread out over 5 years with the first year at the vet minimum = just under the cap space we currently have.

OP
OP
HookemCards

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Most teams will need 5 million to sign players in the draft and have another 5 million just in case of mid season emergency signings.

Our rookie pool is around 3.5 million and we usually keep 2 million for spare cash. We don't need the 3.5 until we start signing the draft picks, and we won't need the 2 million until the season starts. Surely Graves can get Fitz signed by then.

Then again, maybe we better save that 5.5 mil.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
i think graves wants us all to believe fitz is to blame. and some of us are falling for it. fitz cap hit is large, but lets do some other things so we can be active now, and let the fitzgerald situation fall into place. we really need to start a petition.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think graves wants us all to believe fitz is to blame. and some of us are falling for it. fitz cap hit is large, but lets do some other things so we can be active now, and let the fitzgerald situation fall into place. we really need to start a petition.

Sorry but that doesnt make any sense. Graves clearly said in an article posted by Urban that Fitz's contract would not hinder our ability to be active in FA. He said we would still be active and would just have to make some cuts or restructure in order to sign people. Which needs to be done anyways.

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but that doesnt make any sense. Graves clearly said in an article posted by Urban that Fitz's contract would not hinder our ability to be active in FA. He said we would still be active and would just have to make some cuts or resrtucture in order to sign people. Which needs to be done anyways.

C'mon Shane. Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose