So...Does Drake get DJ $$ ??

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Except McKinnon's contract is exactly why Drake shouldn't get a similar one. He has not had a single carry since the 49ers paid him all that money. He never rushed for even 600 yards in Minnesota but people thought he was a star in the making so the Niners massively overpaid him. Drake's year this year is better than McKinnon's last was but Drake has 444 carries in his entire NFL career and was injury plagued in college. I can see 5 million per, anybody paying more than that is taking a big risk
Agreed, but I think McKinnon's contract sets the market. I feel someone will be willing to take the risk like the 9ers did with him.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Agreed, but I think McKinnon's contract sets the market. I feel someone will be willing to take the risk like the 9ers did with him.

Mckinnons contract was 2 years ago all the FA last year set the new market which isn’t much more than 5. RBs are now considered a dime a dozen in the NFL. There’s a reason very few are drafted in the first round anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we offer more than 50% guaranteed we did not learn either.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't see any team offering Drake a long-term guaranteed contract for some short-term success with the Cardinals.

If he had done it for a couple of seasons, then maybe. Again, look at Elliott. Being the highest-paid RB in the league

doesn't seem to have inspired and motivated him, in fact, he's not making many long runs anymore. His contract has

lowered the contracts for future RBs. And RBs have some of the shortest careers. The Seahawks have now lost

their top three RBs this year. It's a brutal position in the NFL with a high injury rate. RB depth may be more important

than one big-name star.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mckinnons contract was 2 years ago all the FA last year set the new market which isn’t much more than 5. RBs are now considered a dime a dozen in the NFL. There’s a reason very few are drafted in the first round anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope you are right.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Keim can find a way to trade DJ for a low pick, and gets us out of the majority of that contract, it will be one of his best moves possible this offseason.

I would offer Drake 3 years 20 million if thats what it take, roll with Edmunds as a great backup, and then draft a kid in the 5th or 6th round.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think ypu let Drake test the market, and make sure you keep a seat open for him here in AZ.

The Cardinals roster going into this offseason is so bad its impressive.

Yet, another Keim situation I am always questioning is not signing players during the season.

Cooper, Gunter, and Marsh all make sense to re-sign sooner rather than later.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think ypu let Drake test the market, and make sure you keep a seat open for him here in AZ.

I like Drake, but giving RBs big money in the NFL is a big risk. It is understood the Cardinals have almost no RBs on the roster, but past failures must stop from becoming future ones.

Hopefully the Cardinals try to be savvy and it pays off.

Ugh.

Yet, another Keim situation I am always questioning is not signing players during the season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I like Drake, but giving RBs big money in the NFL is a big risk. It is understood the Cardinals have almost no RBs on the roster, but past failures must stop from becoming future ones.

Hopefully the Cardinals try to be savvy and it pays off.

Ugh.

I don't agree. We are going to have 60-70 million in cap space - more than likely a good portion of that is going to be used incorrectly.

Why on earth would you let 50% of our offense go for 3-4 million a year and a hope you can find someone good in the draft. It's just a stupid risk to take.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would this offense look like the second half of the season without him? Do we really want to take a step back.

Also consider this. Why would we trade for Drake? Were we prepping for a playoff run? No. It is true both our backs got hurt but we could have plugged in Zack Zenner or Ajayi and let the chips fall were they may.

I believe we picked up a Drake with a little more in mind than a temporary acquisition. Drake will be on this team next year unless he simply doesn’t want to be or somebody comes along and throws stupid money at him.

I don’t thing the latter will happens with today’s nfl climate toward running backs. The only other free agent I think fits our need would be Matt Breida. However he seems to get nicked up a bit.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't agree. We are going to have 60-70 million in cap space - more than likely a good portion of that is going to be used incorrectly.

Why on earth would you let 50% of our offense go for 3-4 million a year and a hope you can find someone good in the draft. It's just a stupid risk to take.
Please quote where I say to allow Drake to go for 3 to 4 million a year.

Its a risk, and one can say it is a stupid risk.

To pay top dollar to a RB after just doing so and see it blow up in your face, may sound pretty stupid to some as well.

Especially when you have MAJOR holes all over the roster and have a massive amount of players to sign this offseason.

60 to 70 mil in cap space, yes. They also have a lot of roster spots to fill.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
What would this offense look like the second half of the season without him? Do we really want to take a step back.

Also consider this. Why would we trade for Drake? Were we prepping for a playoff run? No. It is true both our backs got hurt but we could have plugged in Zack Zenner or Ajayi and let the chips fall were they may.

I believe we picked up a Drake with a little more in mind than a temporary acquisition. Drake will be on this team next year unless he simply doesn’t want to be or somebody comes along and throws stupid money at him.

I don’t thing the latter will happens with today’s nfl climate toward running backs. The only other free agent I think fits our need would be Matt Breida. However he seems to get nicked up a bit.

Well, a competent GM would have traded and signed Drake.

But, we do not have one of those.

The best move cannot be made anymore.

I hope the Cardinals are not paying Drake 14 million dollars a year starting next year.

I doubt ANY team will, but I guarantee Drake is going to want to find out if any team will before resigning with AZ.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I am very worried that we're going to pay him a premium and suffer at another more important and hard to fill position.

I also have a bad gut feeling about the guy's desire when it comes to pay.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am very worried that we're going to pay him a premium and suffer at another more important and hard to fill position.

I also have a bad gut feeling about the guy's desire when it comes to pay.
What’s a good feeling you have about this team going into next year? No “but” please.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What’s a good feeling you have about this team going into next year? No “but” please.
Uh... Zane Gonzales has been a real steal? Haha.

Really though I think Kyler will improve, so that's a positive, and while we need to fill a lot of starting positions, hopefully some will represent actual good players and not just bodies. If we can get some decent defensive linemen that can hold up, I could see Hicks getting even better.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we underestimate cohesiveness. I know the original post is aimed at what to do about Drake. However, keeping players and coaches and philosophies intact is huge.

Four of us could look at a color. Having a touch of color blindness I’ll refer to the color gray.

One of us could see blue. One us could see purple. One could see green and one could see gray.

That being said if you have a DC , linebacker coach, d-line coach and a db coach they all have a vision or a “shade” that they see or believe. Ultimately it comes down to the the DC using the input of his coaches.

That takes time. Collectively there is adjusting, eliminating, evaluating and adding to the vision.

Here’s the question. Are the last couple of weeks a result of blending all the “shades” together or a mirage?

I want to believe is it coming together. To blow it up I believe would be a big mistake and set us back another year. Let’s add some talent and build the system thus building some continuity and cohesiveness.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think most would be ok with 4 yr. deal UP TO roughly 25m guaranteed.

If he wants more he'll need to test the waters, imo.

We've been burned at RB giving out a big contract after a contract year. Remember before the Clevland game for whatever reasons there were mixed results from Drake. Then there is some injury history there. I suggested earlier a PERFORMANCE incentivized deal offer.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the best comp i can find / think of is Tevin Coleman last year to SF in a surprisingly reasonable deal: 2 years for $8.5mm -- or $4.25m per

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
There is only two scenarios in which Drake stays a Cardinal, either Keim offers him an outrageous contract (I'm talking top 5 RB contract or excessive guaranteed money) before he hits FA and Drake would be stupid not to take it or he tests the FA waters and finds out the pond is pretty shallow and he comes back to AZ for a deal same as Gunter did this past Spring.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
He was making more than that this year. Coleman signed that to be a reserve.

i think the money is light

but Coleman produced 1,000 yards (rushing+ receiving) (or very close) in the three years prior to FA - and at least 4 yards per carry

very similar stats and profile to Drake

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard