• Snyder

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Montero

Votes: 27 87.1%

• Total voters

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Who would you rather see as the every day catcher?

Chris Snyder

Pros: Defensive ability, leadership
Cons: Can't hit and has shown minimal improvement in that area.

Miguel Montero

Pros: Skilled offensively, left-handed bat, young
Cons: Makes mistakes defensively, though he has shown signs of improvement by getting more playing time.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ideally, I'd rather have Snyder. I think his limited offensive skills (he did put p a 103 OPS+ last year) are acceptable in order to have a catcher who can manage the pitching staff and brings clubhouse leadership.

However, can Snyder remain healthy and is the salary difference worth keeping him? Montero might offer more in trade value given his cheaper salary and more years of guaranteed service.

I think the organization can win or lose regardless of which player they keep with long term.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Snyder. All day every day.

The fact that Haren and Webb both want him behind the plate should speak volumes. He is a catcher.

Miggy is a good left handed bat who just happens to put on the catcher's gear.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad teams tend to go with catchers like Montero because they're desperate for the better bat in the lineup. Think Jason Kendall, or the most classic example, Mike Piazza. Montero's not in their hitting class, but he's that kind of catcher. Good teams go with the defensive catcher, although usually it's a guy that's still going to have gap power and drive in a few runs in a decent lineup. Not sure Snyder's that guy. That's just my observation.

I think the D-Backs will end up going with Montero because the organization is bereft of traditional power hitters at the corner.

The best answer is the D-Backs should be keep one of them and promote some advancing prospect, but I don't think they have anyone on the farm they'd ever consider promoting. It's another position they seem to have ignored in their draft agenda.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Bad teams tend to go with catchers like Montero because they're desperate for the better bat in the lineup. Think Jason Kendall, or the most classic example, Mike Piazza. Montero's not in their hitting class, but he's that kind of catcher. Good teams go with the defensive catcher, although usually it's a guy that's still going to have gap power and drive in a few runs in a decent lineup. Not sure Snyder's that guy. That's just my observation.

I think the D-Backs will end up going with Montero because the organization is bereft of traditional power hitters at the corner.

The best answer is the D-Backs should be keep one of them and promote some advancing prospect, but I don't think they have anyone on the farm they'd ever consider promoting. It's another position they seem to have ignored in their draft agenda.

You summed it up pretty well Gadd... Personally, I don't see the big dropoff in any way, shape or form in going with Montero. I don't see that his presence behind the plate has actually cost us games, or that our pitchers have been less effective. And IMHO, he offers more upside offensively than does Snyder.

It would be ideal if we had a modern day Bench or Fisk... heck, even a Posada... but we don't and so Gun to My Head, I'm taken Montero...

;)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I voted for Montero over Snyder. I advocated that last season as well.

Miguel seems to have improved in his defense and handling of pitchers, now that he's had regular playing time.

I just hope that Hinch chooses one of them to be the everyday catcher vs. the potluck lineups which go back to the Brenly days.

I also hope that Josh Whitesell gets that same opportunity at 1B. Put him in the starting lineup and leave him there for 20 games.

The only exception to that would be a regular platoon. Whitesell starts against all righties (which is, of course, the majority of games) and move Reynolds to 1B against all lefty starters.

I guess I can accept the same concept at C, with Montero starting against all righty pitchers and Snyder against the lefties.

That's not helter skelter. That's two consistent batting orders. One against righties and one against lefties.

The Miracle Mets of '69 platooned at 4 of the 8 positions. All season long, you could count on one lineup vs. righties and one against lefties.

It won them the World Series.

Ironically, the Orioles started lefties in 4 of the 5 games and the right handed hitting platoon came through, at bat and in the field.

It was something to see.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Montero no doubt. If you don't believe it you haven't watched the last month of baseball. Montero is coming into his own.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Montero is hitting .380 in July

Montero has dramatically increased his GB/FB this month and is sporting an astronomical .381 BABIP. I would expect a major regression coming soon unless there was some fundamental change in his swing recently.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeesh. .381 BABIP is unsustainable. That's they very definition of a hot streak that's bound to end. His career BABIP is about .285, which is right at normal for an average MLB hitter.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Obviously that pace is impossible to keep up unless your name is Joe Mauer or Albert Pujols, but who's to say that Montero has been improving because he's gotten the opportunity to play everyday?

I'm still in the fence with this question because Snyder is much superior defensively but I think Snyder's "leadership" qualities are vastly overrated. If he were such a great leader then why has this team underachieved for two year running under his watch?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
While great defensively, Snyder is an awful hitter, just ask Mark Grace, or better yet don't. I'd like to see Miggy get the majority of the at bats the rest of the year, he has a great bat for a lefty, and his defense isn't terrible.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously that pace is impossible to keep up unless your name is Joe Mauer or Albert Pujols, but who's to say that Montero has been improving because he's gotten the opportunity to play everyday?

He's 25 now? I'm guessing he has improved. He's at the age where players start hitting their peak levels.

But BABIP is a great stat because it has an uncanny ability to project flukes. Based on four years of data, even with improvement, Montero is most likely going to settle into a .250 hitter who gives you 10 to 12 home runs and 30 RBI in 250 ABs. Right now he's approaching his career minor league numbers, which also points to a flukey hot streak.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
With Chris Snyder injured, Montero was given the opportunity to be the everyday Catcher and he delivered.

How about the D'backs stick with a player who delivers instead of inexplicably undoing it? I'm tired of seeing that.

The only way to project what Miguel is going to do for the rest of the season . . . is to continue to play him as the everyday Catcher . . . for the rest of the season.

He's earned it. The team needs it. Win-win.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bump, another HR today by Montero...he's on fire.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
Earlier in the season I would have chosen Snyder but now I will take Montero for now. Maybe he is one of those kind of players that needs to be in the lineup everyday to have succeed.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bump, another HR today by Montero...he's on fire.
He was our only scoring today. A two-out 3-run clutch home run.

I hope that his being our #5 hitter means that Josh Byrnes -- I mean Hinch -- is going to leave well enough alone.

Unless he wants to move Montero to 1B.

For those of you who voted for Snyder to send Montero to the bench (it sounds crazy just saying it), perhaps Montero at 1B is a solution.

Not on-again-off-again (which has become the D'backs trademark), but everyday.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He was our only scoring today. A two-out 3-run clutch home run.

I hope that his being our #5 hitter means that Josh Byrnes -- I mean Hinch -- is going to leave well enough alone.

Unless he wants to move Montero to 1B.

For those of you who voted for Snyder to send Montero to the bench (it sounds crazy just saying it), perhaps Montero at 1B is a solution.

Not on-again-off-again (which has become the D'backs trademark), but everyday.

That was a BOMB he hit today... I would not at all be in favor on Miggy going to First Base. He is more than solid enough behind the plate. We desperately need at legit first baseman who can play defense and hit with power. Miggy is not a legit first baseman and placing him there only creates another offensive hole at the catcher slot...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Montero is about to take over the team lead in batting average. There are not many catchers in the game outside of Mauer and McCann that can say that

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
Pudge one of my favorite players! It was funny that Snyder was watching the game today and texted in the answer to that question.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn