Smoothie King

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going to have a burrito and about 4 beers. But I'm also going to play softball for 2 hours. I think exercise matters more than what you eat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going to have a burrito and about 4 beers. But I'm also going to play softball for 2 hours. I think exercise matters more than what you eat.

I'm quite certain that, assuming you live long enough, life will disabuse you of such a notion. Exercise is very important, nutrition is much more so.

Steve

OP
OP
crisper57

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I'm quite certain that, assuming you live long enough, life will disabuse you of such a notion. Exercise is very important, nutrition is much more so.

Steve

Agree. I've been running 20-30 miles per week and eating whatever I want for the last two months. I've gained 10 lbs.

Now I've been eating healthy for 10 days and I've lost all that weight and then some. Without nutrition, all the exercise in the world doesn't mean much.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/AN01619

http://nutritionfacts.org/2013/01/17/diet-vs-exercise-whats-more-important/

http://ymcacentralflorida.com/nutrition-or-exercise-11345/

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28524942/

http://www.thinkingnutrition.com.au/2012/08/food-v-exercise-what-makes-biggest.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/healthy-diet-linked-to-lower-odds-of-depression

Last edited:
OP
OP
crisper57

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Strange smoothie concoction today:

1 Cup Spinach
2 sprigs of Italian Parsley
1 Cup Pineapple
1 Banana
1 Cup Coconut Milk (Unsweetened)
1 TBSP Chia Seeds

Tasted like cucumber melon, of all things.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I make an apple pie smoothie in my vitamix. 1/2c greek yogurt, one banana, one apple, pinch of cinnamon, pinch of salt, 5 or 6 whole almonds, honey to sweeten to your liking. Delicious and filling.

This sounds very similar to what I make for my wife every weekday morning. 1 cup greek yogurt, 1/4 cup pumpkin, cinnamon, ice, and a small scoop of protein powder.

For my kids I either make strawberry or peach frozen yogurt smoothies.

Here is the concoction I make for me in my blendtec every weekday morning. The blueberries tend to over power everything else.

3 scoops whey protein powder
dash turmeric
dash cinnamon

all frozen:
broc/calif/squash
pineapple
carrot
banana
cherry
papaya
mango
tomato
green grape
red grape
mixed berries
blueberries
peach
strawberry
kale
spinach

Attachments

• 2013-11-20 10.57.18.jpg
    2013-11-20 10.57.18.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 39

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score

Steve

Sheesh, that's a tad condescending don't you think? Assuming I live long enough? Really?

Obviously I don't eat that way everyday. But I allow myself to indulge on days when I exercise. Of course I'm not trying to lose weight either, just trying to maintain.

OP
OP
crisper57

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
This sounds very similar to what I make for my wife every weekday morning. 1 cup greek yogurt, 1/4 cup pumpkin, cinnamon, ice, and a small scoop of protein powder.

I am stealing your recipe!

Got any recommendations for protein powder? I have been using Pea Protein right now, but it is pretty gross. Overwhelms any combo I can come up with. I don't want to get a flavored protein because I don't want the stuff they add in to make it taste good.

Also, anyone have a good smoothie recipe for beets? They supposedly help with running endurance.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheesh, that's a tad condescending don't you think? Assuming I live long enough? Really?

Obviously I don't eat that way everyday. But I allow myself to indulge on days when I exercise. Of course I'm not trying to lose weight either, just trying to maintain.

No, I don't think it was at all condescending. And I said nothing about your food choices. I merely responded to your comment that "exercise matters more than what you eat".

Steve

Last edited:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Got any recommendations for protein powder? I have been using Pea Protein right now, but it is pretty gross. Overwhelms any combo I can come up with. I don't want to get a flavored protein because I don't want the stuff they add in to make it taste good.

Also, anyone have a good smoothie recipe for beets? They supposedly help with running endurance.
I googled this; I have no ideas about how it tastes.
Red Beet Vitamix Smoothie with Kale, Apple, Orange, Berries in the Vitamix
Recipe type: Smoothie
Cuisine: American
Serves: 2

Recipe for red beet smoothie with kale, apple, berries is super nutritious.
Ingredients

1 red beet
1 small apple including core
½ naval orange peeled
handful frozen berries
handful kale
¼ cup frozen pineapple (optional)
½ cup ice
½ cup iced water

Instructions

Put all ingredients into vitmamix or similar machine. Start on slow and move up to high, using the muddler the machine comes with.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

I buy this from costco.

http://www.amazon.com/CytoSport-mak...ort+100%+Whey+Vanilla+Protein+Powder+6-Pounds

OP
OP
crisper57

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
1 cup greek yogurt, 1/4 cup pumpkin, cinnamon, ice, and a small scoop of protein powder.

I've decided Greek yogurt and I are not meant to be friends. On my second try, I substituted a banana/coconut milk for Greek yogurt and the concoction was a bit sweeter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd still go for fresh juices, it's more healthier. :)

It all depends on what's in it. But one thing I'm confident of, a smoothie made with nutrition in mind is far healthier than straight juice made with the same goal. But you can ruin either drink.

Steve

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive been just doing mixed berries, bananas and yogurt or orange juice. I guess I am missing the boat by not including vegetables? I am scared to introduce vegetables as I dont really enjoy the flavor of vegetables.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
ive been just doing mixed berries, bananas and yogurt or orange juice. I guess I am missing the boat by not including vegetables? I am scared to introduce vegetables as I dont really enjoy the flavor of vegetables.

The trick is to find the tipping point of when you can taste the veggies and then stay below that. I put all sorts of strange crap (parsley for example) in my shake, but I keep the volume low enough so it doesn't affect the taste. Adding half a frozen lemon helps too.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I find that eating all that stuff instead of juicing/blending it, keeps me full longer. Oh, and less clean up! :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard