The Pegan Food Plan

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
... at the request of Bada-Bing! (well, mine too ...)

http://www.thethinkitchen.com/going-pegan/

This diet sounds fantastic. Pretty much how I eat except I don't go easy on red meats and I have chocolate milk after my weekend workouts. I should probably find a way to insert sesame and pumpkin seeds into my diet. I add flax, chia and hemp seeds and coconut oil to my morning smoothie. I eat plenty of avocados and nuts.

I eliminated vegetable oils a while back. Not easy to do these days, similar to HFCS 5-10 years ago. Lots of avocado oil and butter instead. Even founds some potato chips made with coconut oil.

I make espresso instead of coffee. I don't miss creamer or milk when it's espresso instead of coffee.

According to Mark Hyman, MD, the Pegan diet looks like this:

• Focus on the glycemic load of your diet. This can be done on a vegan or paleo diet, but harder on a vegan diet. Focus on more protein and fats. Nuts (not peanuts), seeds (flax, chia, hemp, sesame, pumpkin), coconut, avocados, sardines, olive oil.
  • Eat the right fats. Stay away from most vegetable oils such as canola, sunflower, corn, and especially soybean oil which now comprises about 10 percent of our calories. Focus instead on omega 3 fats, nuts, coconut, avocados and yes, even saturated fat from grass fed or sustainably raised animals.
  • Eat mostly plants – lots of low glycemic vegetables and fruits. This should be 75 percent of your diet and your plate. I usually make 2 to 3 vegetable dishes per meal.
  • Focus on nuts and seeds. They are full of protein, minerals, and good fats and they lower the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
  • Avoid dairy – it is for growing calves into cows, not for humans. Try goat or sheep products and only as a treat. And always organic.
  • Avoid gluten – Most is from Franken Wheat – so look for heirloom wheat (Einkorn); if you are not gluten sensitive, then consider it an occasional treat.
  • Eat gluten-free whole grains sparingly– they still raise blood sugar and can trigger autoimmunity.
  • Eat beans sparingly – lentils are best. Stay away from big starchy beans.
  • Eat meat or animal products as a condiment, not a main course. Read The Third Plateby Dan Barber to understand how shifts in our eating habits could save the environment and ourselves. Vegetables should take center stage and meat should be a side dish.
  • Think of sugar as an occasional treat – in all its various forms (i.e., use occasionally and sparingly).

Healthy Fats
  • Nuts and Seeds (walnuts, pistachios, cashews, almonds, flax seed, chia seed, sesame seed, pumpkin)
  • Olive Oil
  • Sesame Seed Oil
  • Coconut Oil
  • Avocado
  • Avocado Oil

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
You don't go easy on the red meats? Ah, ok ... that would be the Paleo component but it's supposed to be organic and/or grass fed. Which is pretty expensive. I went back to putting 2% milk in my coffee with some sugar-free coffee mate. I didn't like cashew milk nor almond/coconut milk ... yuck.

For 2 weeks I've avoided all cheese/red meat/processed foods/cold cuts/sweets and faithfully logged every morsel of food that I've eaten. Been averaging 1,300/day and I've lost a whopping ... 1lb...!?!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't go easy on the red meats? Ah, ok ... that would be the Paleo component but it's supposed to be organic and/or grass fed. Which is pretty expensive. I went back to putting 2% milk in my coffee with some sugar-free coffee mate. I didn't like cashew milk nor almond/coconut milk ... yuck.

For 2 weeks I've avoided all cheese/red meat/processed foods/cold cuts/sweets and faithfully logged every morsel of food that I've eaten. Been averaging 1,300/day and I've lost a whopping ... 1lb...!?!
But do you feel better?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
But do you feel better?

Oh, my pancreas is fine now, thanks for asking!

Went to a gastro doctor - he said my amalyse was a bit high but not nearly enough to warrant that diagnosis. And have not had any stomach pain - except when I ate a Morning Star bean burger, of all things. Looking at the ingredients, it's a highly processed food.

I have found that by avoiding cheese, my migraines (and headaches in general) have subsided. Except for that storm that came in the other day - cuz barometric pressure changes also trigger my headaches.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson