Skelton or Kolb pt. II

Who do you want to see start at San Francisco?

• Total voters

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wonder about this. If Kolb gets starts and continues to suck, and Skelton doesn't look any better, perhaps the team will believe it doesn't have the answer at QB and make a move. (Of course this is rationalizing a reasonable position, which considering the Cards, is unreasonable in nature)

There's no way. Kolb's staying on the roster for 2012, no matter what Chopper says. We don't have a 2nd round pick to use on a QB, so we'd be using a Top 12 pick on a QB to--what?--compete with Kolb and Skelton?

The other complicating factor is that we'll go into 2012 without an offensive left tackle, and Acho and Schofield maybe have put off the need to draft a high rush linebacker. But we'll be looking at Ryan Kalil or another of the top tackle prospects.

There's just so little out there in free agency on the offensive line front. That's one reason that I wanted to extend Levi Brown and drastically lower his salary. Levi Brown at $13 million next year is a total disaster. Levi Brown at $4 million for the next three or four years is competitive without being prohibitive.

But I'm also super risk-averse with personnel choices. You trust your draft picks to become your stars and build around them while keeping them for their careers.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There's no way. Kolb's staying on the roster for 2012, no matter what Chopper says. We don't have a 2nd round pick to use on a QB, so we'd be using a Top 12 pick on a QB to--what?--compete with Kolb and Skelton?

The other complicating factor is that we'll go into 2012 without an offensive left tackle, and Acho and Schofield maybe have put off the need to draft a high rush linebacker. But we'll be looking at Ryan Kalil or another of the top tackle prospects.

There's just so little out there in free agency on the offensive line front. That's one reason that I wanted to extend Levi Brown and drastically lower his salary. Levi Brown at $13 million next year is a total disaster. Levi Brown at $4 million for the next three or four years is competitive without being prohibitive.

But I'm also super risk-averse with personnel choices. You trust your draft picks to become your stars and build around them while keeping them for their careers.

Hater

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think we're 2-3 games from knowing but if the Cards decide Skelton is good enough to keep the job over Kolb I'd be VERY surprised if we draft a QB in the first round.

If he's good enough to not give Kolb another chance, with the new situation where we're giving the QB more protection schemes, then he ought to be good enough to not draft a QB first round(barring a guy we love being there of course).

SF will be a great test for Skelton if he does well enough there next week then I think he probably gets the Rams and Cowboys games as well.

I guess I'll see how the draft actually plays out but I'd much rather have Kallil than Matt Barkley and I like Barkley.

The one thing with Skelton is you can see he is growing in confidence, 2 straight career best passing yardage games and he's going downfield with much more confidence now.

I'm still a skeptic but if Kolb isn't 100% I see no reason to not give Skelton another start and if he holds up against SF then we'll see what happens.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that starting Kolb against then Niners D would create an unfair comparison between him and Skelton. This is probably one of the best Defenses we will see this year. I say start Skelton and see how he does against a quality D with a real pass rush and our turnstile OTs.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

For the life of me, I just don't understand why you want to keep Levi on the roster, period. By any measure, he's been one of the worst OT's in the league over the last couple of years, and is a considerably below average starter.

Continuity for continuity's sake makes no sense. Levi is part of the problem, not the solution.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
For the life of me, I just don't understand why you want to keep Levi on the roster, period. By any measure, he's been one of the worst OT's in the league over the last couple of years, and is a considerably below average starter.

Continuity for continuity's sake makes no sense. Levi is part of the problem, not the solution.

The reason is that Whis and company don't like to start rookies, so you keep Levi for the year you are transitioning to the top 12 tackle you draft in 2012. I don't like it either, but for 3-4 million I'd hold my nose and do it. I doubt it will come to that though. Levi probably wants to bid adieu and some franchise, e.g. Baltimore, will overpay him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Because knowing how this team has performed in free agency--especially on the OL--do you really trust them to bring in someone better? Or through the draft?

Absolute worst case scenario you get Levi as your starter for one quarter of his salary (I'd guarantee the first two years of a four year, $16 million extension). There's no way he doesn't jump on that deal. Best case scenario is that you get a rookie who can legitimately take his job in training camp, and then you have a backup RT/LT who can step in if the rookie struggles who has experience and comes at a good price.

I still believe that Levi and the rest of the OL looked worse because of Kolb/Hall/Anderson than they actually are, but they're still pretty bad.

The only alternative is that next year we have a rookie competing with D'Anthony Batiste at LT, and I'm not ready to make that commitment.

The reason is that Whis and company don't like to start rookies, so you keep Levi for the year you are transitioning to the top 12 tackle you draft in 2012. I don't like it either, but for 3-4 million I'd hold my nose and do it. I doubt it will come to that though. Levi probably wants to bid adieu and some franchise, e.g. Baltimore, will overpay him.

I'm not sure why Baltimore or some other franchise would overpay the worst offensive tackle in football the last two years. Because he's durable? They're not going to sell that to a fan base.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm still hoping the Cards OL next year will be Kalil, Colledge, Sendlein, Lutui, and Levi. Probably about 0% of that happening though.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I could handle Levi Brown at RT for about 3.5 million per year, as long as we had some youth behind him in case he stays awful.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont see any chance they take a QB in the 1st round this year. If they had ended up with the 1st pick was the only way, and that only because the fans would burn the stadium down if they went 2-14 or 1-15 and didnt take Luck. But as it stands they will either be giving Kolb another season (huge mistake but possible) or playing Skelton because they like him enough to roll with him, in which-case Kolb becomes a 10 million dollar backup before being waived in 2013.

If a QB they liked slipped into the 3rd or 4th round I think they'd probably pick him up though. Foles will probably be a 3rd round pick... but I dont think the Cards would want whatever QB they are running out there next year to have to deal with a local boy behind them on the depth chart.