Simply amazing: Take a step back and marvel at what Dennis Green has done.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In 15 months time!! Lets all go back to pre January 7, 2004 (the day Dennis Green was announced as the head coach of the Cards) and just look at what he has done. It is absolutely amazing to see the changes he has made to this organization. Changes that we fans have been crying for for decades he has done in 15 months. I love lists so here is my list of what Dennis Green has done to better this team and this organization:

1. Improved the overall image of the organization. No longer are the Cards looked at as a laughingstock.

2. Free Agent signings. Bert Berry, David Macklin, Obefemi, Warner, Ross, Okeafor compared to those of the past

3. Key trades: Hambrick and Zellner for a 6th round pick!! Compare that trade to the crap we got for trading Thomas Jones in 2003.

4. Improving the pass rush-Deadlast in sacks four consecutive seasons and now we have arguably the nastiest pass rush in the NFC West.

5. A great draft and a great draft philosophy (best player available)

6. New logo

7. New uniforms

8. Creating competition at key positions (quarterback)

9. Landing a bonafide star runningback (assuming we get Henry) for a guy we don't even want anymore.

10. Realizing that Leonard Davis is a left tackle and a pretty good one.

I could go on and on but you get the idea. Two years ago I recall a preseason publication that ranked each team (1-32) for each position and the Cards were deadlast at quarterback, offensive line, runningback, wide reciever, defensive line, and pretty close to last at linebacker and defensive back. If we land Henry as expected we can realistically expect to be at least average or better at every position with the exception of maybe offensive line and secondary. Green has done the job!!!

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
I agree with all except #1.

We still get Arizona Cardinal jokes and will continue to do so until two things happen:

(1) We win more games than we lose.

(2) We develop a decent fan base and attendance figures improve with fans rooting for us and not the team they rooted for when they lived in the midwest.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really fail to see how DG was responsible for the new logo an uniforms. Unless he is coaching the marketing staff as well :confused:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the whole balancing the budget and peace in the Middle East stuff.

Green absolutely has done a lot but I still contend that the changes we're seeing now BEGAN prior to Green's hiring. The organizational philosophy started changing under Graves, he made his mistakes in FA and the draft, but for once we had guys signed damn near on time, we were doing bells and whistles when needed, and we were making decisions based on something other than emotion(Jake and Boston).

Green has brought more football knowledge and talent evaluation although I say again evaluating him based on last years draft is like telling friends you should be a stock broker because you made money on techstocks in 99 and 2000. Last year was a great draft, Green made steals in Dansby and Dockett but in both cases there were other good players there because the draft was so deep.

I'd be amazed if he drafts as well in this draft the talent just isn't the same.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed Holian - although with the same disclaimer as Doc - winning will make the difference there.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Holian said:
In 15 months time!! Lets all go back to pre January 7, 2004 (the day Dennis Green was announced as the head coach of the Cards) and just look at what he has done. It is absolutely amazing to see the changes he has made to this organization. Changes that we fans have been crying for for decades he has done in 15 months. I love lists so here is my list of what Dennis Green has done to better this team and this organization:

1. Improved the overall image of the organization. No longer are the Cards looked at as a laughingstock.

2. Free Agent signings. Bert Berry, David Macklin, Obefemi, Warner, Ross, Okeafor compared to those of the past

3. Key trades: Hambrick and Zellner for a 6th round pick!! Compare that trade to the crap we got for trading Thomas Jones in 2003.

4. Improving the pass rush-Deadlast in sacks four consecutive seasons and now we have arguably the nastiest pass rush in the NFC West.

6. New logo

7. New uniforms

9. Landing a bonafide star runningback (assuming we get Henry) for a guy we don't even want anymore.

I could go on and on but you get the idea. Two years ago I recall a preseason publication that ranked each team (1-32) for each position and the Cards were deadlast at quarterback, offensive line, runningback, wide reciever, defensive line, and pretty close to last at linebacker and defensive back. If we land Henry as expected we can realistically expect to be at least average or better at every position with the exception of maybe offensive line and secondary. Green has done the job!!!

Yes there are a lot of positives and hope. In the final analysis winning is the only thing that counts and until we do that on a consistent basis everything we want is a dream. I have had my hopes and dreams for this team dashed to many times and to many years to not be skeptical until the results are in and they will be measured in victories on the field.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Don't forget the whole balancing the budget and peace in the Middle East stuff.

Green absolutely has done a lot but I still contend that the changes we're seeing now BEGAN prior to Green's hiring. The organizational philosophy started changing under Graves, he made his mistakes in FA and the draft, but for once we had guys signed damn near on time, we were doing bells and whistles when needed, and we were making decisions based on something other than emotion(Jake and Boston).

Green has brought more football knowledge and talent evaluation although I say again evaluating him based on last years draft is like telling friends you should be a stock broker because you made money on techstocks in 99 and 2000. Last year was a great draft, Green made steals in Dansby and Dockett but in both cases there were other good players there because the draft was so deep.

I'd be amazed if he drafts as well in this draft the talent just isn't the same.

Agree Russ. DG had a very good draft last year but that does not make him a genius yet. One might still question the Fitz pick over a QB and the resulting dissatisfaction of Boldin wanting Fitz money. Lets see if DG can have another good year and then we may start talking about him being pretty good. DG has made some positive inroads but we are only one year under him and have not even had a winning season. I am not yet ready to declare him a savior. Win 9 games next year and he will get my vote.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Two ways to look at this:

One as a Cardinal fan

Two as an average NFL fan

A Cardinal fan looks at it like Moses parting the water.

An average NFL fan looks at it as a mildly pleasing success with a few hiccups.

The Boldin Fitz thing absolutely did not have to happen at all, but the rest of the draft was dead on solid.

That being said, it's just sad at how glorious a solid draft is percieved around here when the Patriots fans could rightly just be satisfied to slightly annoyed we are positively shivering.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
I worry about the O-line if it is below average as you say. Until we win the battles in the trenches, forget about being an above average team.

Holian said:

6. New logo

7. New uniforms

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Green is doing a great job so far. Last season is gone but we have improved far beyond our 6-10 record. I look to make the playoffs this year and keep building. With Green having such high picks in each round his first 2 years, should be good for us. In Minn., he had lower picks in each round and still built a good team.

Speculating, Green missed the NFL and coaching. He and Minn have bad tastes in their mouths and he just wants to do what he was born to do. WIN I'm glad he chose us.

I enjoy idea of Green being in AZ and is teriffic news to me still, I just wish I had the guarantee of him never leaving the game of football again.

Last edited:

spanky1

Reaction score
Getting rid of the "country club" persona that prevailed under Mac/ Tobin is a very real contribution of Green's......that and making players compete for the right to be an NFL player.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I think DG had a pretty solid first year. Hopefully someday we'll be able to look back at some of the changes as the foundation for what ultimately became a consistently winning team.

I've got to say however, every new coach since Bugel had, at least partially, a hopeful first year, followed by a complete wipe out in year two (this counts Mac's first full year as the 2001 season 7-9 record-not his partial year in 2000). Green needs to show this Cardinal fan, he can conquer the deadly sophmore jinx before I will be thoroughly conviced he's setting us up with a consistent winner-the way he did in Minnesota.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
To me Green is a solid coach.

I don't see any flameouts.

Worse case Boldin holds out and Warner is knocked silly we still finish off 8-8 or better because of our defense. Assuming we don't start Macklin and to be named later at CB.

arizona_cards_11

Registered
Reaction score
The move to take Fitzgerald was not as bad as it may seem.

While the money given to Fitz was questionable, he really will be the best WR to come out in the long run.

Roethlisburger would not have had the succes with our O Line.

And I am almost positive Green is just delaying on the QB situation until
V. Young enters the draft.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green has done a good job.

But like Russ said there are many things that have occued that Green cant take credit for.

He has just more of an icing on the cake IMO!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Denny is the man.

Slice it up any way you want but this is the best the Cardinals organization has looked in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.....maybe ever.

Peace
:thumbup:

Brevity

Tryin' to get my lap back
Reaction score
Green certainly deserves credit.

But, lets give credit where it's due. Looking at the big picture (and Holian's list) I see a definate change in the culture of the organization.

For this, I say thanks to the Bidwills.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Well lets wait until we see the actual games played. Even with a perfect draft it all means squat until the real thing. But Ill admit it could be the best offseason in 25 years

RugbyMuffin said:
Denny is the man.

Slice it up any way you want but this is the best the Cardinals organization has looked in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.....maybe ever.

Peace
:thumbup:

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
arizona_cards_11 said:
The move to take Fitzgerald was not as bad as it may seem.

While the money given to Fitz was questionable, he really will be the best WR to come out in the long run.

Roethlisburger would not have had the succes with our O Line.

And I am almost positive Green is just delaying on the QB situation until
V. Young enters the draft.

You won't find a bigger Longhorn homer than me, but V. Young needs to do ALOT of work on his passing the next two years if he intends to play QB in the NFL. That being said, the guy is a freak athlete in the mold of Matt Jones. He's not quite as big or tall (6'5" 230 lbs), slightly less speed (probably in the 4.4 - 4.45 range), but is much more elusive and has a little better arm. He's still young, and I have hope that he will become a better passer, but I'm not a big Greg Davis (UT OC/QB coach) guy, he may need lots of coaching when he enters the NFL.

Last edited:

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Brevity said:
Green certainly deserves credit.

But, lets give credit where it's due. Looking at the big picture (and Holian's list) I see a definate change in the culture of the organization.

For this, I say thanks to the Bidwills.

I agree. I think the change can be linked more to Michael Bidwill's ascent than Denny Green or Rod Graves employment.

I think Michael has given Denny and Rod the authority to run football operations, a move tried only once by Bill with Buddy Ryan, to disastrous results.

We are lucky the stars lined up for us with Michael seemingly taking control of the organization because it could easily have gone to Bill Jr. If that would have happened, I don't know that respectibility could have been possible in my lifetime.

Go Cards!!!