Simmons is a safety, not a linebacker

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
just abort the thread

Why? I've seen nothing to change my mind.

Just watched Simmons highlight reel in the NCG. He played the first 2.5 quarters mainly at slot/safety. Did a bit of rushing off the edge. Thats 99% of his best plays. The only "highlight" when he moved to LB after the ejection half way through the 3rd was an open field tackle on CHE.

He has mountains of the physical you would like to see in a mike but none of the mental stuff. On the other hand he dominated Moss and took him out of the game. Had a sack and a couple of TFLs from safety.

Show me him some plays of him lined up as a true LB, diagnose the play, come down hill and fill a hole or shed a 2nd level block. Stuff you see true linebackers do all the time, then I'll think about changing my mind.

Even if you just watch his highlight reels for his best plays barely any of it is from linebacker, and those that are a very wide WILL. Vast majority of his best plays are from a strong safety or slot corner position.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Phillips - Peters - Allen​

Kennard.................................Jones

Hicks..............Simmons

Budda_or_ Murphy
PP21.......................................Alford

J. Thompson​

This is easily the best lineup.

I think Alford is gonna be his old inconsistent-terrible self though & Murphy will have a decent Sophomore campaign so I’d put Murphy in Alford’s spot.

Again..... Offensive scheme aside, there is no way Thompson gets out there over Budda or Murphy in most situations. That's my take. Both Budda, and Simmons will flex into different safety roles while Murphy handles Slot duties. Both IS & Budda will be able to provide box protection while also presenting multiple blitz threats from crazy spots.

But who really cares....... Both Thompsons, Lawrence, Fotu, and others will get a 40 to 75% snap share depending on the opponent.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? I've seen nothing to change my mind.

Just watched Simmons highlight reel in the NCG. He played the first 2.5 quarters mainly at slot/safety. Did a bit of rushing off the edge. Thats 99% of his best plays. The only "highlight" when he moved to LB after the ejection half way through the 3rd was an open field tackle on CHE.

He has mountains of the physical you would like to see in a mike but none of the mental stuff. On the other hand he dominated Moss and took him out of the game. Had a sack and a couple of TFLs from safety.

Show me him some plays of him lined up as a true LB, diagnose the play, come down hill and fill a hole or shed a 2nd level block. Stuff you see true linebackers do all the time, then I'll think about changing my mind.

Even if you just watch his highlight reels for his best plays barely any of it is from linebacker, and those that are a very wide WILL. Vast majority of his best plays are from a strong safety or slot corner position.

stop

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Went through and watched a bunch of Simmons game tape and he runs pretty hot and cold. He didn’t do poo in the ACCCG against UVA.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does the narrative that Simmons is going to stop our tight end problem fit with him playing linebacker?

The TE's that toast us aren't in line guys leaking out late that a linebacker might pick up. Guys like Kittle line up wide in the slot and linebackers don't line up over guys.

When we played the Niners last year we would bring Budda down from free safety to line up in man on Kittle (he got murdered mostly) and put Deonte Thompson at FS.

In other words, the strong safety picked up that duty.

Against teams like the Niners, Seahawks and Rams. All who have very good receiving tight ends who play out of the slot, how is Simmons playing linebacker and covering those guys? He'd have to come out of linebacker most of the time.

Next year we also play Ertz, Hockenson, Engram, Jarwin, whoever Pats have a TE, etc etc

So just play Simmons at SS. He can cover TE's or big slots when they line up in the slot. Come down into the box as a 3rd LB on obvious run plays.

He isn't going to "have a label" on defense. He may line up at LB and still cover a TE, he may line up at safety and still cover a TE. He may line up at LB and spy the QB, he may line up at safety and spy the QB.

Your assessment is so rigid that just because he lines up at LB, he can't cover a TE?

Professional defenses shift and disguise things so much that it really doesn't matter where a player lines up.

Hell IS could line up as a DE and drop back and cover a TE. Or a DT and drop back and spy a QB. Not saying they would do that, but with his flexibility they may be able to do stunts like that. (And yes I was exaggerating on him being on the D-Line, but hopefully you get the point.)

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He isn't going to "have a label" on defense. He may line up at LB and still cover a TE, he may line up at safety and still cover a TE. He may line up at LB and spy the QB, he may line up at safety and spy the QB.

Your assessment is so rigid that just because he lines up at LB, he can't cover a TE?

Professional defenses shift and disguise things so much that it really doesn't matter where a player lines up.

Hell IS could line up as a DE and drop back and cover a TE. Or a DT and drop back and spy a QB. Not saying they would do that, but with his flexibility they may be able to do stunts like that. (And yes I was exaggerating on him being on the D-Line, but hopefully you get the point.)

Brit Card ranges his socks!

He won't get it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If Simmons plays WLB, where does Chandler Jones line up?
Jones will play on the edge.

It is time to do what I did, and throw the traditional 11 defensive positions out the window.

I know its tough, it was hard for me, but its time.

Simmons could stand in the same place in a formation and be called LB, CB, or S mattering on the terminology used for that defense.

There are times Chandler Jones plays DT, times he plays DE and times he plays OLBer.

They all move around theses days

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My concern is will Vance Joseph utilize him to his fullest potential.

You can do so much with Simmons

Need a pash rush and affect the qbs decision making, put him standing on the LOS like a 3-4 olb

Need a TE neutralized, place him head up and have him play man on man

Need a big wr neutralized in the red zone on a 3rd down, Simmons has enough burst and speed to keep up with with a 6'4 -6'5 wr

He can stop the run, he can effect the pass a variety of ways.

But will Vance Joseph recognize that and play him how is supposed to be played

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones will play on the edge.

It is time to do what I did, and throw the traditional 11 defensive positions out the window.

I know its tough, it was hard for me, but its time.

Simmons could stand in the same place in a formation and be called LB, CB, or S mattering on the terminology used for that defense.

There are times Chandler Jones plays DT, times he plays DE and times he plays OLBer.

They all move around theses days

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

This I can agree with. Say they play Simmons in what would be a strong side linebacker type role which is really a slot corner / strong safety. Say a mix of the 3.

But he's not a true inside linebacker. Anyone expecting him to do anything close to what a traditional linebacker would do will be disappointed.

Call it what you like, but the position he is going to take off the field if slot / SS.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Where Simmons lines up really doesn't matter a ton as long as you vary what you ask him to do. The tough part is going to be for the players you put around him. They are going to also need to be versatile as they are going to have to be able to do a variety of things as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure he was a WR in high school playing all his snaps at that position. So looks like we got a WR with our high pick after all.
Nah. He put on weight since then. He is more of a TE now.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
Can Simmons play Strong Safety?....sure he could. The question is how to maximise his athleticism and versatility. That's as a LB being moved around in different defensive packages and covering TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield. Compared to those mentioned here earlier...Rod Woodson and Troy Palamalu.....Simmons is 40 pounds heavier or about a 20% larger human being. He can do some things those Strong Safeties could not do in terms of having the size and power.
And he probably will be more successful on a regular basis rushing the passer. Strong safeties like Woodson and Palamalu rushed the passer in surprise defensive packages that threw the offense off. You don't need the kind of bulk Simmons has to play SS. If he did on a consistent basis, he would be the biggest player of all-time in the NFL to play that position on a regular basis. So, again, it's not a question of whether he can play SS. Kyler Murray could probably be an effective punt returner or a WR, but he's a QB, because that's where you can most maximise his abilities.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can Simmons play Strong Safety?....sure he could. The question is how to maximise his athleticism and versatility. That's as a LB being moved around in different defensive packages and covering TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield. Compared to those mentioned here earlier...Rod Woodson and Troy Palamalu.....Simmons is 40 pounds heavier or about a 20% larger human being. He can do some things those Strong Safeties could not do in terms of having the size and power.
And he probably will be more successful on a regular basis rushing the passer. Strong safeties like Woodson and Palamalu rushed the passer in surprise defensive packages that threw the offense off. You don't need the kind of bulk Simmons has to play SS. If he did on a consistent basis, he would be the biggest player of all-time in the NFL to play that position on a regular basis. So, again, it's not a question of whether he can play SS. Kyler Murray could probably be an effective punt returner or a WR, but he's a QB, because that's where you can most maximise his abilities.

Except over his college career most of his snaps have been at SS or Slot CB.

You know why he's "bigger than your average SS"? Because there's never been anyone else with that combination of size and speed.

You watch a Devin White highlight reel, or a Roquan Smith highlight reel and you will see them doing typical linebacker things. You don't get any of that on Simmon reels. All his best plays are from Slot Corner or SS, with the occasional unguarded edge rush. The snaps where he is at linebacker, he usual dropping into coverage like a strong safety anyway.

He's a smart kid, maybe he can pick up those instincts quicker than say Reddick has (or hasn't) but they certainly aren't there now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His ability to drop in coverage, even deep coverage, while also being a huge threat on the blitz and vs the run... I suspect he will lineup at ILB on most plays but his assignment will be hard to know until the snap.

Big season for Vance Joseph. I suspect Todd Bowles would make a player like Simmons a nightmare for opposing passing games, hopefully Joseph is adventurous with him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His ability to drop in coverage, even deep coverage, while also being a huge threat on the blitz and vs the run... I suspect he will lineup at ILB on most plays but his assignment will be hard to know until the snap.

Big season for Vance Joseph. I suspect Todd Bowles would make a player like Simmons a nightmare for opposing passing games, hopefully Joseph is adventurous with him.

Can he just play the Adrian Wilson role?

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
Keim said, after thinking long and hard, the closest comp he could think of was Urlacher when he first came into the NFL.

If that is anything close to correct, I don't see Simmons as a S. He'll get snaps there, but I'm thinking he will be an ILB.