Simmons, Herbert or Brown

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m hearing what Kiper is hearing, the Lions want Tua. That means someone falls and most likely it’s a position player as someone likely either takes or moves up for Herbert. I’d bet on Simmons, but the real question is what do the Cards do about it. Kiper thinks Wirfs. Wirfs is the prototypical RT. I just can’t picture with a draft this deep in potential RTs, that the Cards go that route. So the question is will the Cards stay put? Trading down now seems more likely. The Cards need picks and have other good options below their spot. Of course I’m partial to Lamb. Certainly the Cards could use Simmons. If for no other reason he can probably cover most TEs. However, the Cards need 2 players more with all their holes. So who might be there in the third round, which is the Cards’ most probable pickup.

If they still need a WR, Hamler might drop. He’s small but very fast. He can spread the field and shows exceptional YAC. Looking to strengthen the D-Line? Lawrence, DT, could be an excellent anchor tackle, but would likely rotate out on passing downs. If your thinking Edge, Highsmith could be coached up. There are, of course, a myriad of other possibilities. Oddly Keim has seemed to do a better job of evaluating talent that falls into this draft area. No one is universally successful this low but I think the Cards will likely take this route, especially if they do well with FAs and the early picks fall like I’ve suggested.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'd bet if Simmons is on the board, they're at the podium in a nanosecond.

Definitely
With one guy basically u solve 3 problems

Covering tigh ends
Spying mobile qb's
Blitzing from the middle
BOOM!

Although I totally agree....... There's no way the Cards get that lucky IMO.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all in on an elite MLB in round 1. That or DE but way may be able to grab DE in FA.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
ok

Bengals: Burrow
'Skins: Young
Lions: Tua
Giants: Brown
Dolphins: Herbert.
Chargers: Okudah
Carolina: Simmons

This would leave all four OTs and top two WRs sitting there.

Do you think the Raiders at 12 would move up to get the WR they want? Problem: Raiders, IIRC, don't have a 2nd. Do have 3 3rds though.

How about Jets at 11 to get their choice of OT?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a player plays 3 positions is that player a man without a true position? :shrug::devil:

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ok

Do you think the Raiders at 12 would move up to get the WR they want? Problem: Raiders, IIRC, don't have a 2nd. Do have 3 3rds though.

Would be surprised if Giants draft defense. Gettlemans legacy is tied to his obnoxious Daniel Jones comments

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons seems like a jack of all trades.

I’m wondering if he could play OLB? He just seem to have that long lanky body that could reek havoc.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
BOOM!

Although I totally agree....... There's no way the Cards get that lucky IMO.

I am on the Simmons bandwagon.

AND, I think he will be there. Players ALWAYS drop in the draft that are not QB's, CB's, LT's, or WR's.

Its a passing league, Simmons is a player that the Cardinals need more than the rest, IMHO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'd bet if Simmons is on the board, they're at the podium in a nanosecond.
Disadvantage is that we play in one of the most run-heavy divisions. An undersized ILB is more dangerous vs the 49ers and Seahawks who both in the the bottom 10 in pass attempts per game.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the top 3 QBs will go before the Cards pick so I really don't see anyone trading up with the Cards. I also don't see them taking an OT in round 1 as they can get a good one in round 2 if they wish. I think they will take Lamb because of his relationship with Kyler and the fact that he is really good. He is familiar with the system and can step in as a starter on day one just like Kyler did.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disadvantage is that we play in one of the most run-heavy divisions. An undersized ILB is more dangerous vs the 49ers and Seahawks who both in the the bottom 10 in pass attempts per game.

6'4" - 230.

Probably more weight at the Combine and considerably more on that frame over a career.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok

If it does go like that, you should trade down.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

6'4" - 230.

Probably more weight at the Combine and considerably more on that frame over a career.

The dude led the Clemson Tigers in Passes defended AND tackles for loss.
The sports communication major, who got better as his college career went on despite having more and more added to his plate, had his best season in 2019. That year, in 15 games, he recorded 104 tackles (67 solo) and 16.5 tackles for a loss to go along with a career-high three interception

A true Unicorn

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The dude led the Clemson Tigers in Passes defended AND tackles for loss.

about the only nit on Simmons is that he seems like a finesse player -- not physical.

a really, really effective finesse player

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ok

Kinlaw or trade down.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Young, Brown, Okudah, and Simmons are the defensive elites in this draft. If, unfortunately they are all gone along with the three qb's before our pick, we'd find ourselves with the pick of every offensive player in the draft for ourselves since we don't need a qb. Every lineman, wideout, and back are still sitting there.
It'd be hard to move down. Just take the best tackle right there, if all the defensive studs are gone. Guys like Kinlaw, Chaisson, and Espensa are a tier down and aren't top 10 overall guys.

ps: Simmons is the only player in this draft I'd trade UP for. He'll go #3, 4, or 7.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA