Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah you win championships with superstars. If healthy a lineup of Paul/Book/Cam/Lebron and a rim protector is out there it’s the overwhelming favorite this year and next.

That's what the Lakers and Nets think.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh I don’t really remember a lot of the Suns competing for a championship talk at the trade deadline last year but apparently it was all over the place and everyone now says they knew the whole time

Interesting

All you have to be is a top 4 or 5 team in the league to push all your chips to the center of the table.

The Suns were one of those teams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you have to be is a top 4 or 5 team in the league to push all your chips to the center of the table.

Didnt we have the 2nd best record in the league at the trade deadline last year? All of us were so stoked with how much better the Suns were than we could ever believe halfway through last season. They ripped the league apart after the 8-8 start.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didnt we have the 2nd best record in the league at the trade deadline last year? All of us were so stoked with how much better the Suns were than we could ever believe halfway through last season. They ripped the league apart after the 8-8 start.

The Suns were right there. They finished with the 2nd best record in the NBA.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah you win championships with superstars. If healthy a lineup of Paul/Book/Cam/Lebron and a rim protector is out there it’s the overwhelming favorite this year and next.

Stars do win in the NBA but it has to be a right mix. It’s been proven you just just add guys because they have names.

Honestly I don’t know how Paul and Lebron would work. Lebron is like an on ball SF and Paul isn’t an off ball scoring PG

Lebron had his best success with scoring PG

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That’s easier said than done. That cost money and we’ve proven that’s not really us.

I’m not gonna blame JJ for not getting a big when he did such an amazing job in such a short time.

Message board culture is always playing the I knew all along card.

JJ went out this offseason and added McGee and got BB so he’s corrected that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s easier said than done. That cost money and we’ve proven that’s not really us.

I’m not gonna blame JJ for not getting a big when he did such an amazing job in such a short time.

We agree about this season. So far James Jones is playing chess.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We agree about this season. So far James Jones is playing chess.

The whole notion we didn’t win a championship because we didn’t add a big is wrong.

We didn’t win a championship because Chris Paul gave us nothing. Injury or choke job whatever. McGee isn’t going to make up for Paul not even being able to get it across half court against Holiday.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole notion we didn’t win a championship because we didn’t add a big is wrong.

We didn’t win a championship because Chris Paul gave us nothing. Injury or choke job whatever. McGee isn’t going to make up for Paul not even being able to get it across half court against Holiday.
Paul's wrist injury and his shoulder injury hurt us, as did Booker's broken nose and hamstring injury and Payne's ankle (I think it was his ankle). Couple those injuries with the loss of our backup big man and all of a sudden we were no longer good enough at the things we normally did well to offset the things the Bucks do well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns had an adequate replacement for Saric it might have been enough. We don't know.

I know the Suns could have built a much better wall with Saric or another big man.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You mean superstars like AD, Lebron, Westbrook, Carmelo, Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan? Or did you mean superstars like Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, Andrei Kirilenko and Brook Lopez?

Building around old superstars might make you the overwhelming favorite if everyone is healthy and everyone clicks together but it's one hell of a risk. I wouldn't consider it even if we didn't already have a team in place capable of challenging for the championship.

I don’t even though what over those over the hill teams of ex-stars have to do with this hypothetical. Lebron is a top-5 player right now. The last time a team had three top-20 players was the Warriors.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Stars do win in the NBA but it has to be a right mix. It’s been proven you just just add guys because they have names.

Honestly I don’t know how Paul and Lebron would work. Lebron is like an on ball SF and Paul isn’t an off ball scoring PG

And Lebron is always worn out because he’s never had a distributor. I think that’s why they got Westbrook except he’s not a high iq player that’s willing to sacrifice.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t even though what over those over the hill teams of ex-stars have to do with this hypothetical. Lebron is a top-5 player right now. The last time a team had three top-20 players was the Warriors.

So are you arguing the Suns should trade for Lebron?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m saying if there’s a move that makes you the overwhelming favorite to win a championship you don’t overthink it.

IMO, the trade for Lebron is too costly. I think there are other moves that can get the Suns there without stripping the franchise.

In your proposed trade, theoretically the 76ers might come out the big winner if Anthony Davis is healthy for the playoffs.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
IMO, the trade for Lebron is too costly. I think there are other moves that can get the Suns there without stripping the franchise.

In your proposed trade, theoretically the 76ers might come out the big winner if Anthony Davis is healthy for the playoffs.

FTR I think there’s a 0% chance of it happening but I was in a trade machine zone.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh I don’t really remember a lot of the Suns competing for a championship talk at the trade deadline last year but apparently it was all over the place and everyone now says they knew the whole time

Interesting
We were 1 or 2 games behind Utah most of the season, including near the deadline.

As I said no I wasn't expecting to make it to the finals, but I damn well knew our biggest weakness we needed to correct if we wanted to get there, and I wasn't alone.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns had an adequate replacement for Saric it might have been enough. We don't know.

I know the Suns could have built a much better wall with Saric or another big man.

Monty didn’t try and build a wall he tried to play him straight up with Ayton picking him up at the top.

No adjustment or anything.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty didn’t try and build a wall he tried to play him straight up with Ayton picking him up at the top.

No adjustment or anything.

Suns tried to build a wall to stop Giannis. Unfortunately they didn't have enough size and depth upfront beyond Ayton with Saric out.

The Bucks had size beyond Giannis.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

My thoughts precisely.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You can say that but this board is pretty good about owning up to their previous positions if they were wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard