SI on What Stopped a Rosen Deal

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Just as I suspected.

Piss poor planning & management by Keim!!! I also think the perception of Rosen doesn’t help.

Freaking unbelievable

Reactions: PJ1

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Keeping Josh Rosen keeps some pressure on Team Murray to sign a contract with a 'no baseball clause' included. If they drafted Kyler Murray without the assurance of that clause
being included in the contract they are morons.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Justified or not, I think the FO was paranoid about Murray having a change of heart before the draft. You think they look dumb now, imagine how dumb they would look if they traded Rosen a month ago, then Murray went back to baseball two weeks later.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again, what does a “no baseball clause” even mean? I’m not an attorney, but I know enough about contract law to know that even the NFL CBA doesn’t make you a literal slave. The Cards fan claw back his bonus if he leaves, but they don’t need any special language to make that happen.

Literal slave? Last time I checked slave didn’t get paid, let alone paid millions

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again, what does a “no baseball clause” even mean? I’m not an attorney, but I know enough about contract law to know that even the NFL CBA doesn’t make you a literal slave. The Cards fan claw back his bonus if he leaves, but they don’t need any special language to make that happen.

I was wondering that too. There's always the typical clauses - no skydiving, etc. So adding playing in the MLB in the same season as the NFL season seems like a no-brainer for that list. I can't imagine that's what all the fuss would be about.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I suspect it means he both loses future money and has to pay something back but I admit I had the same question. The big thing in college basketball with coaches is dual buyout clauses, if the coach leaves he owes the school the buyout, if the coach is fired they owe him the buyout. I suspect maybe the Cards want some one way version of that with Murray, if you leave for baseball you have to pay back X. Remember his dad in the same situation, bailed on baseball for college football, and then refused to pay back his bonus even after they sued him. Maybe the Cards are trying to protect against that. But if you have that much concern, maybe you shouldn't draft the kid?

That part of it concerns me we have the coach who knows the kid well, we had months to decide, and the night of the draft we still didnt' trust him about baseball?

I am willing to see what Kliff can do with him on the field, and if he is close to what Kliff thinks that could be really fun to watch, but the whole Rosen part of it was just handled so poorly

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
K9...a lot of contracts include language to protect the team... especially if the player is known to participate in outside interests that could cause injury or harm. It's no difference than having motorcycle or skiing clauses that we've heard about over the years. Happens in all sports...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think the team was focused on trying to keep everyone guessing so that they could keep all of their options open right until they made the pick. I think accepting a huge trade offer right before the draft or even while they were on the clock was not off the table until it was clear that was not going to come. If they would have started initiating trade talks on Rosen, word would have immediately gotten out and spread that Murray was their pick and locked them in. The problem was that by waiting everyone else got locked into what they were doing with their picks and there wasn't the market that the team probably expected there to be.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing that worries me most here is the negative atmosphere and losers mentality that pervades Cardinal Country. That's not going to make things any better.

The decision was made / the trigger was pulled.

So here we are with the hand that's been dealt us. We can whine about it or we can lobby for positive action - i.e. what moves need to be made to dig the team out of its proverbial hole

Continuing to "re-litigate the last battle isn't going to do anything but make our ulcers bleed.

(Clue - A more constructive way to look at things, is to concede that hiring Wilks, McCoy etc. was a horrible mistake, but, rather than keep our heads in the sand, Michael B and Steve K took the unpopular route of (1) admitting they screwed up and (2) deciding to go in a totally different direction. Change takes guts).

Note - Each of us has the right to express anger, frustration etc. about the direction of the Cardinals. And each of us has the right to be critical of those who express anger etc. etc. I just personally don't feel that so much negativity is helpful.

The End.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are all those that were arguing with me about how dumb it was to not shop Rosen weeks ago? Keim couldn't have played this any worse.
I believe he was shopping Rosen only to find he wasn’t getting what he thought was value. He gambled his value would rise as the draft went on. It didn’t. We will now have to settle for somewhat less than what he ( and many of us ) thought he was worth.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Murray was undecided about which sport he wanted you move on. This is the #1 overall pick for crying out loud.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I see no way that Keim can be defended in how he handled this situation. He botched it. Just like he has seemed to botch most things recently. He thinks he is being clever, but he just looks like a joke.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I see no way that Keim can be defended in how he handled this situation. He botched it. Just like he has seemed to botch most things recently.

it feels to me like they wanted to defer facing something unpleasant for as long as possible -- that unpleasant thing being reports prior to the draft that the team was actively shopping Rosen

but: IF the FO concluded that Murray was a far better QB prospect than Rosen -- at some point you just have to bite the bullet. That bullet is both the reports of shopping AND the prospect you get less back than what you paid for him.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My goodness. We’ve had two serious playoff runs ruined by injuries to our starting quarterback in the last five years lol. I’m happy to keep both for the time being.

Last edited:

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cards taking Murray was the worst kept secret in the draft. Everyone knew and was willing to force Keim to show his hand. Best we can hope for is a second round pick, worst case a third. Bottom line it sucks to lose the draft capital with the entire Rosen saga, but it will be even worse if they are on the same team together. Trade him for what you can and move on and don’t look back. Keim officially pushed all his chips to the center on this one.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Literal slave? Last time I checked slave didn’t get paid, let alone paid millions

Well, if he didn't want to play football anymore, they wouldn't pay him, would they? If they tried to contractually bar him from making a living in another sport, that would be problematic, right?

Not having freedom to do the work you want to do = slavery.

K9...a lot of contracts include language to protect the team... especially if the player is known to participate in outside interests that could cause injury or harm. It's no difference than having motorcycle or skiing clauses that we've heard about over the years. Happens in all sports...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That's fine, but it assumes that the player is STILL INTERESTED IN PLAYING FOOTBALL. For example, you can claw back some of Ben Roethlisberger's salary if he rides a motorcycle again. The NFL already has an established rule that if you're not playing football, you don't get paid your salary, and we can also claw back your bonus.

Maybe the rookie scale doesn't have that because salaries are guaranteed for performance and injury?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
YES!

He looked confident that a team would give up and make a last minute call. They looked ridiculous. Should have traded weeks ago.

He’s the fish at the poker table.
It was pretty pathetic...I swear after the third time they were shown in the draft room twiddling their thumbs that they took a fake phone call to look busy during the next shot.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson