• Yes, trade him ASAP

• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus JJ was here and let it happen! You would think the GM could tell the coach who is on the team, just not how or when to play them.
Not sure a GM has much control over coach/player relationships. Monty apparently didn't get along with Jae, Ayton or McGee.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not sure a GM has much control over coach/player relationships. Monty apparently didn't get along with Jae, Ayton or McGee.
No. But a GM can say, "We aren't paying this guy to stay home!" He was compliant, went on all the shows saying they were looking for a trade, and then had difficulty getting the job done. Would you go back and work for JJ in that situation?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yep and a bunch of praying that players will take less to want to play here.
JJ Reddick gave a good explanation as to why vets signing one year minimums are less likely to happen now than in the past.

Essentially in the past they would pass on the exceptions that were around $5M, but now the exceptions are something like $9M and $12M. They would essentially be passing on $8-10M to sign for the minimum now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus JJ was here and let it happen! You would think the GM could tell the coach who is on the team, just not how or when to play them.

This is perplexing that James Jones was not more proactive in trading Crowder when he knew about the situation. Although, I think James Jones was locked onto trading for Durant all season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JJ Reddick gave a good explanation as to why vets signing one year minimums are less likely to happen now than in the past.

Essentially in the past they would pass of the exceptions that were around $5M, but now the exceptions are something like $9M and $12M. They would essentially be passing on $8-10M to sign for the minimum now.
Once those are filled by teams, you take what you can get. Players know the pecking order and where they stand. They will still try and get on top teams if they have to take minimum. It will be like musical chairs, some guys will get those exceptions, and some will be left taking vet min when all the chairs are gone.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. But a GM can say, "We aren't paying this guy to stay home!" He was compliant, went on all the shows saying they were looking for a trade, and then had difficulty getting the job done. Would you go back and work for JJ in that situation?
I think part of his GM is to maintain peace as well. I can't imagine the tension and what would happen in the locker room or bench if you allowed players that the coach has a sour relationship to fester either. I don't think that is healthy for the team as a whole.

This is perplexing that James Jones was not more proactive in trading Crowder when he knew about the situation. Although, I think James Jones was locked onto trading for Durant all season.
We don't know how proactive he was or wasn't or what the market was. There are all sorts of scenarios that could have impacted how long he was sitting there.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
In all fairness, he was a potential trade chip in that scenario.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Once those are filled by teams, you take what you can get. Players know the pecking order and where they stand. They will still try and get on top teams if they have to take minimum. It will be like musical chairs, some guys will get those exceptions, and some will be left taking vet min when all the chairs are gone.
Of course, but the idea of some of the better vet free agents passing on exceptions from other teams to sign a minimum with us is not very likely. There will of course be left overs for us to sign though.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Oh man, can you imagine the maturity of that Memphis team if they replace Adams with Ayton.
The maturity would nose dive to kindergarden level if that happened. Adams wouldn't be bad at center with the amount of offense we now have but I would want more than just Kennard added although he can shoot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Essentially in the past they would pass on the exceptions that were around $5M, but now the exceptions are something like $9M and $12M. They would essentially be passing on $8-10M to sign for the minimum now.

There are always going to be guys left over that will not get paid this kind of money, especially with the new CBA.

However, the competition for the better ones will be intense. I think this is why the Suns are getting some younger guys included in trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, Monty made his position clear that he didn't want to coach Crowder and JJ said don't worry Jae, we'll keep paying you as we search for a good landing spot for you. IOW, his problem might only be with Monty. But I seem to recall that CP3 had a lot to do with bringing him here so he might have zero interest in us even if JJ isn't an issue for him.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
This is why I don't want a player(s) trade for Ayton - if it doesn't free up money it doesn't make sense

Give me a draft pick - I don't care if it's a 9th rounder lol - I just want the money - we can do a whole lot with that $33 million a freakin year

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Don't think Jae is coming back as that bridge is burned between him and the Suns organization. The way it went down being paid to sit at home and he's still bad mouthing the Suns just recently.
I agree that there is probably still a lot of bad feeling for Jones on Crowder's part. I assume the leaving Crowder hanging out to dry for most of the season was more of a Monty thing. But Jones went along with it. I think if the entire front office had turned over, there would be a better chance of Crowder considering a return.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Or, Monty made his position clear that he didn't want to coach Crowder and JJ said don't worry Jae, we'll keep paying you as we search for a good landing spot for you. IOW, his problem might only be with Monty. But I seem to recall that CP3 had a lot to do with bringing him here so he might have zero interest in us even if JJ isn't an issue for him.
He's still going to end up on a contender somewhere.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's still going to end up on a contender somewhere.
Probably. And while we're a contender, it will likely be elsewhere. Still, I wouldn't mind having him back despite his 5 month vacation on our dollar last year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know it's not going to happen, but ESPN was breaking down Scoot's game today, and he would literally be the ideal PG for us! Guy is a one man fast break machine. From rebound to layup in 4 seconds.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, but if Jones had traded Crowder during the summer, the Suns could have used Saric.

Bucks gave up 5 second round picks for Crowder to Nets. If the Suns would do their due diligence and scout we could use those picks as at least one or two of them would have been a hit and had value & maybe more. But it's all hindsight now.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is why I don't want a player(s) trade for Ayton - if it doesn't free up money it doesn't make sense

Give me a draft pick - I don't care if it's a 9th rounder lol - I just want the money - we can do a whole lot with that $33 million a freakin year
That makes no sense.

We can do nothing with the money, we will still be way over the cap. Well yes we can get a 12 million dollar exception, but we can get at least 2 players of that caliber in a trade of Ayton.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score

They had daily standup meetings.
Monty said you not the boss of me and leave me out these all these damn daily meetings. Yall doing too much. Lol.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score

It is perplexing that Jones would do nothing & ignore trade requests when he knew coach didn't listen to nobody and/or didn't like a player and/or refused to play him. Was he that scared of Monty? Just go out & give the man the kind of players he like...um those that look like the players Monty would want his daughter to marry.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

But they can't with Booker, Durant, and Beal around for the long haul.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
That makes no sense.

We can do nothing with the money, we will still be way over the cap. Well yes we can get a 12 million dollar exception, but we can get at least 2 players of that caliber in a trade of Ayton.
lol I would say nobody's going to give up talent for DeAndre Ayton but after that CP3 trade anything's possible

I'd rather be able to pick and choose in free agency tho, which does make sense

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they end up keeping Ayton, they are going to have to make Vogel the guy who pounded the table and told mgmt, keep DA.

Then he will have to go to DA singing this song.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media