Should the Suns trade Ayton?

• Yes, trade him ASAP

• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No, he doesn't. He just says that crap to the media cause he thinks DominAyton is a cute phrase for marketing himself. He knows he's not an all star and that Jokic just kicked his butt.
After all these years, you really think Ayton isn't delusional about his effort and place in the NBA?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many picks could the Suns get if they traded Ayton to the Nets for Ben Simmons?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After all these years, you really think Ayton isn't delusional about his effort and place in the NBA?
He might be delusional about his capabilities, but he's not delusional about the actual stats he is putting up. And nobody would call those dominating.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many picks could the Suns get if they traded Ayton to the Nets for Ben Simmons?
That's not going to happen, because that would basically be saying we are in rebuilding mode and would get rid of our last major tradeable asset for next to nothing for next season.

I think the answer is we could maybe get 2 of the picks we just traded them back.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
We've already seen Ayton play "power" forward

Very recently actually, when Ayton disappeared and KD had to do all the rim protection and rebounding - which led to a tired KD - which led to less offensive production

Ayton didn't just quit on Monty Williams

He quit on Bridges, he quit on CP3, and just a couple weeks ago he quit on Booker and KD

It all comes down to Booker winning a championship in Phx - Booker already sacrificed two of his best friends/chances to bring KD here

In all likelihood Booker probably does like Ayton - but in all likelihood Booker also no longer trusts Ayton - and I'm guessing it's the same for KD who doesn't want to be banging with bigs this late in his career everytime Ayton disappears

There is no head coach that can fix this

Last edited:

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Ayton may think he is better suited to play the 4. He did so at Arizona.

Maybe if the Suns give him some minutes at the 4 he will have an epiphany and get that out of his system.
I'm wondering if Ayton has any thing in his system other than cashing his Suns paychecks. Will playing forward make any difference? Ayton has checked out here. Ayton has used all his passes up. Most are tired of hoping Ayton plays consistently & being a contributor because he won't. Send Ayton & Shamet packing to Atlanta for Clint Capela & John Collins. Then trade Chris Paul to any taker with a capable point guard & real NBA bench players.

Funny thing is Spurs are said to be bring back Tim Duncan to mentor Vic Wembanyama while the Suns had exNBA finesse forward Mark Byrant for Ayton. I guess that's the difference between a winner and a loser.... planning and preparing well from the start. Fault goes to Ayton & the Suns.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm wondering if Ayton has any thing in his system other than cashing his Suns paychecks. Will playing forward make any difference? Ayton has checked out here. Ayton has used all his passes up. Most are tired of hoping Ayton plays consistently & being a contributor because he won't. Send Ayton & Shamet packing to Atlanta for Clint Capela & John Collins. Then trade Chris Paul to any taker with a capable point guard & real NBA bench players.

Funny thing is Spurs are said to be bring back Tim Duncan to mentor Vic Wembanyama while the Suns had exNBA finesse forward Mark Byrant for Ayton. I guess that's the difference between a winner and a loser.... planning and preparing well from the start. Fault goes to Ayton & the Suns.
No, playing him at power forward will make no difference.

Whether he likes it or not he is a center in todays nba. He's not mobile enough to guard most 4's full time, especially the way he guards the 3 point shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm definitely ready to trade Ayton if the Suns can get anything of value for him. If Atlanta did the trade, I'm fine with it.

If necessary, the Suns can waive Chris Paul to get the larger MLE.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Not that I would endorse this one but I could also see the Pacers wanting to trade Myles Turner & Buddy Heid & filler for Ayton & Chris Paul. Pacers have been trying to rid themselves of Turner for years and they really want Ayton like yesterday. Pacers threw that offer sheet to Ayton so Ayton would be all in to run his same game on the Pacers as he has on the Suns for 5 years. We just can't run it back with Ayton, Chris Paul & that depleted bench of the last year's Suns.
Somebody please step forth with offer of a decent trade so we can cut ties with Ayton, Paul, & Shamet. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I would endorse this one but I could also see the Pacers wanting to trade Myles Turner & Buddy Heid & filler for Ayton & Chris Paul. Pacers have been trying to rid themselves of Turner for years and they really want Ayton like yesterday. Pacers threw that offer sheet to Ayton so Ayton would be all in to run his same game on the Pacers as he has on the Suns for 5 years. We just can't run it back with Ayton, Chris Paul & that depleted bench of the last year's Suns.
Somebody please step forth with offer of a decent trade so we can cut ties with Ayton, Paul, & Shamet. ;)

We can trade Ayton and Shamet for Turner and McDonnell. :)

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Pacers just gave Turner an extension. They don't want to dump him that bad.

I'm not sure if swapping Ayton for Turner is the answer but the filler is what makes it intriguing. I have no doubt Turner could fill the role Ayton players but we need to turn Ayton into 2-3 players and I'm not sure Indiana has that to give up.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
The Pacers just gave Turner an extension. They don't want to dump him that bad.

I'm not sure if swapping Ayton for Turner is the answer but the filler is what makes it intriguing. I have no doubt Turner could fill the role Ayton players but we need to turn Ayton into 2-3 players and I'm not sure Indiana has that to give up.
Pacers prefer Ayton over Turner. Extending Turner was like Suns matching Pacers Ayton as they were protecting a investment. Pacers have three 1st and two 2nd round draft picks I believe this year. I rather get Capela than Turner because for some reason Turner reminds me of Ayton. He shoots 3's better but rebounds less than Ayton. Maybe they both need a change. Definitely wouldn't want to do a straight up exchange Ayton for Turner. Pacers been try to unload Turner for 3 or 4 years. The Pacer got picks and players and we need to unload some players.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Pacers prefer Ayton over Turner. Extending Turner was like Suns matching Pacers Ayton as they were protecting a investment. Pacers have three 1st and two 2nd round draft picks I believe this year. I rather get Capela than Turner because for some reason Turner reminds me of Ayton. He shoots 3's better but rebounds less than Ayton. Maybe they both need a change. Definitely wouldn't want to do a straight up exchange Ayton for Turner. Pacers been try to unload Turner for 3 or 4 years. The Pacer got picks and players and we need to unload some players.
Yeah, we really missed the boat on trading for Sabots. His rebounding alone would make the trade better for us. Yes he is worse defensively, but way better offensively. He can seal and not get the ball stripped away on passes to him, and he can dribble and make his own shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I appreciate your optimism.

Sadly, I think the Suns have fallen into the "beggars can't be choosers" category without young players and draft picks to maneuver.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I appreciate your optimism.

Sadly, I think the Suns have fallen into the "beggars can't be choosers" category without young players and draft picks to maneuver.
It's amazing how the media have these mock trade proposals for the Suns where we alway are getting the short end of the deals but other teams make out like bandits.

Maybe former Sun & present Utah Jazz Danny Ainge can give the Suns office some tips on how to make trades & get ahead in the NBA today. Haha

We need to make some solid moves. Maybe we can get back into the 1st round of this years draft and chose a gem of a player. We are due for a break.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how the media have these mock trade proposals for the Suns where we alway are getting the short end of the deals but other teams make out like bandits.

Maybe former Sun & present Utah Jazz Danny Ainge can give the Suns office some tips on how to make trades & get ahead in the NBA today. Haha

We need to make some solid moves. Maybe we can get back into the 1st round of this years draft and chose a gem of a player. We are due for a break.

The Suns are getting the short end of the stick in proposed media trades because of the situation they created. They traded away massive assets in the Kevin Durant trade.

Now Paul is nearing the end of his career and Ayton may not have the value the Suns FO hoped.

We all know what Danny Ainge did in Utah as CEO of Basketball Operations.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
The Suns are getting the short end of the stick in proposed media trades because of the situation they created. They traded away massive assets in the Kevin Durant trade.

Now Paul is nearing the end of his career and Ayton may not have the value the Suns FO hoped.

We all know what Danny Ainge did in Utah as CEO of Basketball Operations.
I think the Suns will dig a deeper whole for themselves if they trade Ayton for a guard or forward bench help and leave a hole at Center and then teams will know the Suns will come in desperation for a replacement at at the center slot trade. Sabonis although not so good at defense but is excellent offense player with good instincts would have probably worked. Too bad trade didn't go through.. The Suns need to learn to negotiate with leverage & strength instead of desperation. Next order of business should be to dump James Jones still and start fresh. Restore draft participation .

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns will dig a deeper whole for themselves if they trade Ayton for a guard or forward bench help and leave a hole at Center and then teams will know the Suns will come in desperation for a replacement at at the center slot trade. Sabonis although not so good at defense but is excellent offense player with good instincts would have probably worked. Too bad trade didn't go through.. The Suns need to learn to negotiate with leverage & strength instead of desperation. Next order of business should be to dump James Jones still and start fresh. Restore draft participation .

If it came down to one or the other, I'd trade Ayton for a good point guard because centers are usually easier to find.

Besides, I have Frank Kaminsky on speed dial. :wink2:

Agree, it's time to move on from James Jones.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
If it came down to one or the other, I'd trade Ayton for a good point guard because centers are usually easier to find.

Besides, I have Frank Kaminsky on speed dial. :wink2:

Agree, it's time to move on from James Jones.
Yeah you don't need a dominant do everything Center in today's NBA game. Just some rim protection, set some picks, add some defense and rebounds. Hey that's what they wanted from Ayton.

You're going to get Frank Kaminsky back here in a Suns uniform even if you have to pay his salary yourself . He is probably available and Suns need some help. Make the call :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch

Over 48% of ASFN still believes in DeAndre Ayton
Hate to be so blunt but that's absolute nonsense. Make a poll and ask the posters if they believe in Ayton and then tell me it's 48%. Believing we might be better off with him than without him isn't anywhere near the same as believing in him.

I fall in that group because I believe our chances of succeeding with him are slightly better than without. And that's not because I believe in him. It's because I think his playing value is so far below his contract that we'd be lucky to get a stuffed dog in return. DA is slightly better than a stuffed dog and I truly believe that but I do not believe in him.

Give me a player for Ayton whose on court value is close to 33 million a year and obviously I'd jump at it. And while this is usually a horrible thing to do, give me two players combined whose worth on the court is close to 33 million and I'd jump at it. Hell, give me 3 players whose value on the court is close to 33 million and I'd still jump at it all the while knowing that getting two dimes and a nickel for a quarter in the NBA is one of the dumbest things a GM can do.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Hate to be so blunt but that's absolute nonsense. Make a poll and ask the posters if they believe in Ayton and then tell me it's 48%. Believing we might be better off with him than without him isn't anywhere near the same as believing in him.

I fall in that group because I believe our chances of succeeding with him are slightly better than without. And that's not because I believe in him. It's because I think his playing value is so far below his contract that we'd be lucky to get a stuffed dog in return. DA is slightly better than a stuffed dog and I truly believe that but I do not believe in him.

Give me a player for Ayton whose on court value is close to 33 million a year and obviously I'd jump at it. And while this is usually a horrible thing to do, give me two players combined whose worth on the court is close to 33 million and I'd jump at it. Hell, give me 3 players whose value on the court is close to 33 million and I'd still jump at it all the while knowing that getting two dimes and a nickel for a quarter in the NBA is one of the dumbest things a GM can do.
lol don't tase me bro I didn't make the poll

As for Ayton - you can't just look at his stats and/or his paycheck - you have to look at what your goals are and decide if DeAndre Ayton will help you achieve those goals. And could he hurt your chances of achieving said goals. That's personally where I'd set the belief bar. If the goal is a championship I'd say he hurts only our chances

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol don't tase me bro I didn't make the poll

As for Ayton - you can't just look at his stats and/or his paycheck - you have to look at what your goals are and decide if DeAndre Ayton will help you achieve those goals. And could he hurt your chances of achieving said goal. That's personally where I'd set the belief bar. If the goal is a championship I'd say he hurts only our chances
Take Ayton off this team, we are worse. It's as simple as that. He's not worth his contract, some nights not even close. But he helps us a little more than he hurts us.

We almost definitley aren't winning a championship with him on the roster. Unfortunately our odds get far worse though if we trade him and get no real value in return. That's why it has to be framed that way. We need to move him, but only if we can get better by doing so which means we need value back.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Take Ayton off this team, we are worse. It's as simple as that. He's not worth his contract, some nights not even close. But he helps us a little more than he hurts us.

We almost definitley aren't winning a championship with him on the roster. Unfortunately our odds get far worse though if we trade him and get no real value in return. That's why it has to be framed that way. We need to move him, but only if we can get better by doing so which means we need value back.
OMG we'll just have to disagree on this one my guy no need for the back and forth

if Ayton were "off this team" it means he'd be replaced - likely with someone who isn't a soft ass 7 foot tall mental midget that disappears during crunch time

How many times does he have to show you who he is - pedestrian when there's no pressure - agoraphobic when the pressure is on

There's only one reason someone would keep DeAndre Ayton on this team - and that's if they wanted Booker to leave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose