Should the Suns trade Ayton?

• Yes, trade him ASAP

• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I wonder what all this chatter about him being worthless is doing to DA's already fragile confidence.
Yeah, I've been wondering the same. Surely he is not so embedded in a bubble that he hasn't heard the running commentary on how little other teams want him and how much fans here (and around the league) generally disrespect him? If all that can't motivate him, I don't know if anything can.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
If he retreats into a shell, we are screwed. If he uses it to motivate himself, combined with Monty and Paul being gone, there is a chance. I'm not betting on it, but we would be unstoppable.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vogel needs to sit down with him! Tell him your plans and how this team would be damn near unstoppable if you just bust your ass and do your job as I teach you! If at the Allstar break you really don’t want to be a part of what could be a very special team, your value you would be high if you really wanted to leave I’m sure the team would facilitate you! But if you just put the same effort as your teammates do we would be great and you probably could be an Allstar if you just bust your ass. If he doesn’t buy in on it then you know you have a weak headcase that’s worthless and his contract may be hanging around our neck until we find a sucker…

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Vogel needs to sit down with him! Tell him your plans and how this team would be damn near unstoppable if you just bust your ass and do your job as I teach you! If at the Allstar break you really don’t want to be a part of what could be a very special team, your value you would be high if you really wanted to leave I’m sure the team would facilitate you! But if you just put the same effort as your teammates do we would be great and you probably could be an Allstar if you just bust your ass. If he doesn’t buy in on it then you know you have a weak headcase that’s worthless and his contract may be hanging around our neck until we find a sucker…
I don't doubt he can do it. My doubt is if he can sustain it. When KD trade went through, the first couple games he played unreal. Then he settled back into his season's norm. He has the skill, size, and athleticism. He just needs the motor and the will.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't doubt he can do it. My doubt is if he can sustain it. When KD trade went through, the first couple games he played unreal. Then he settled back into his season's norm. He has the skill, size, and athleticism. He just needs the motor and the will.
Yeah, this seems about right, unfortunately

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't go there because after June 30th, it would have to be a one for one trade since we are blasting through the second apron. Right now we could do a one to many trade for DA. That's the only scenario that makes sense for us, is if we get two guys that would slot ideally in the 4-5 spots on our team, or 4-8 range. If we are taking guys that have to battle it out with who we had last season, that's not really helping. I think we get past June 30th, DA is likely to be here for a long time. Unless Bam Adebeyo wants out of Miami to go to PHX only. :lol:

It doesn't have to be a 1 for 1 trade after June 30th. Since we're an apron team we can't aggregate salaries to trade for a larger salaried player but we can trade a larger salaried player for a combination of lesser contracts.

For example we can't trade Ayton with Payne for someone making $40m a year but we can trade Ayton for multiple players who combine to reach within 110% of Ayton's salary.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be a 1 for 1 trade after June 30th. Since we're an apron team we can't aggregate salaries to trade for a larger salaried player but we can trade a larger salaried player for a combination of lesser contracts.

For example we can't trade Ayton with Payne for someone making $40m a year but we can trade Ayton for multiple players who combine to reach within 110% of Ayton's salary.
Probably what they are waiting for…

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am also unclear on the guys we have bird's rights on. Do they not count towards the luxury tax or apron?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am also unclear on the guys we have bird's rights on. Do they not count towards the luxury tax or apron?

The Suns are allowed to sign their own players with bird rights and veteran minimum players regardless of the tax apron as I understand it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking Ayton's value is similar to John Collins. If true, they have to keep him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton will ball under Vogel. Avg 25 and 12 and 2 but they WILL trade him midseason for what will amount to nothing, and when you ALL come back here crying about it I've got the names. :p
How is Ayton going to average 25 with Book, KD and Beal taking most of the shots?!?! Don't worry, when that doesn't happen we got receipts too. ;)

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Ayton averages 25 of anything it'll be less than 25 minutes a game

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears the Suns and Dallas were in trade talks involving Deandre Ayton for Tim Hardaway Jr., Rachaun Holmes and JaVale McGee but talks broke down because the Suns didn't have any interest in McGee.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It appears the Suns and Dallas were in trade talks involving Deandre Ayton for Tim Hardaway Jr., Rachaun Holmes and JaVale McGee but talks broke down because the Suns didn't have any interest in McGee.

Really. Holmes and Hardaway Jr.? That's a pretty weak return.

There must really not be much interest. It will be interesting once teams miss out on their free agent targets they might be more willing to make a better offer for Ayton just to make a change.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really. Holmes and Hardaway Jr.? That's a pretty weak return.

There must really not be much interest. It will be interesting once teams miss out on their free agent targets they might be more willing to make a better offer for Ayton just to make a change.
Yeah, that deal would have been pathetic.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton will ball under Vogel. Avg 25 and 12 and 2 but they WILL trade him midseason for what will amount to nothing, and when you ALL come back here crying about it I've got the names. :p
There is no way Ayton could average 25 on next year's roster unless someone is injured. There are just not that many points to go around. We have 3 25 point scorers already. If Ayton averages 12 and 12-13 with 2 blocks and solid D and great efficiency, he will be a fantastic contributor to this team.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If we're just getting crap offers like what Dallas put up, it makes more sense to see if Vogel can be an Ayton whisperer. Even if he's still the same big disappointment, we'll likely get a similar garbage return to what we're seeing now.