• Yes, trade him ASAP

• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule it out

If Ayton isn't traded before the draft it likely means nobody is feeling him - and at 13 boards and 9pts per playoff game (avg of 32 minutes) I can understand why they aren't - especially at $33 million a year

Zero, absolutely zero percent chance.

You have a better chance of being elected the Prime Minister of Canada than the likelihood of the Suns waiving Ayton.

I don't think you know how contracts work in the NBA. Waiving Ayton creates zero cap space for the Suns, provides no benefit what so ever and he just chills and gets paid 130 million.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be completely shocked if we ended up waiving DeAndre Ayton

Sure, getting someone in return would be nice but it would probably be someone some team just wants to get rid of

But if some other team (hopefully a division rival) wants to pick up the bill - leaving us with a ton of room to explore free agency...

What Centers are hitting free agency?
0% chance this happens.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Zero, absolutely zero percent chance.

You have a better chance of being elected the Prime Minister of Canada than the likelihood of the Suns waiving Ayton.

I don't think you know how contracts work in the NBA. Waiving Ayton creates zero cap space for the Suns, provides no benefit what so ever and he just chills and gets paid 130 million.
*if another team wants to pick up his salary lol stay with me

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
You have a better chance of being elected prime minister of canada... stay with me.
Are you saying he's not worth the money owed and no teams would pick up his contract - or that we can definitely get a valuable player/pick in return?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying he's not worth the money owed and no teams would pick up his contract - or that we can definitely get a valuable player/pick in return?
Very few team have the ability to pick up that size contract off of waivers without moving a ton of salary. Players clear waivers in just 48 hours. That’s why historically, mostly minimum salary players are claimed off waivers. Plus it would just be stupid of the Suns.

Oh Canada!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be completely shocked if we ended up waiving DeAndre Ayton

Sure, getting someone in return would be nice but it would probably be someone some team just wants to get rid of

But if some other team (hopefully a division rival) wants to pick up the bill - leaving us with a ton of room to explore free agency...

What Centers are hitting free agency?
WHAT???

That is insane. The Ayton hate is flowing out of you uncontrollably.

You show me any player in NBA history who averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds a game and was waived. You can't - It's never happened.

Not to mention you get zero from cutting him - his contract is 100% guaranteed - this is not the NFL.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
WHAT???

That is insane. The Ayton hate is flowing out of you uncontrollably.

You show me any player in NBA history who averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds a game and was waived. You can't - It's never happened.

Not to mention you get zero from cutting him - his contract is 100% guaranteed - this is not the NFL.
we're obviously discussing other teams taking on Ayton's contract - and you must've missed his playoff performance this year

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We can definitely get a valuable player / pick in return.

Nobody and I mean nobody in any front office would not call him a top 10 center. That obviously has some value.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm saying there is a zero percent chance that we waive him. Zero.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would you agree he's not worth the money owed?

Yeah, but that's just the nature of the NBA. Probably half the guys on contracts for 25 mil a year or more are not worth what they are owed.

Waiving him would not only be remarkably stupid on it's face, but even if someone claimed him AND we cut Paul's option, we'd came away with less than 10 million to work with.

Zero percent chance.

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, but that's just the nature of the NBA. Probably half the guys on contracts for 25 mil a year or more are not worth what they are owed.
Right on - but I'm guessing the overpaid players thing will be trending downward now with the new CBA - with everybody trying to get rid of their Ayton's

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Waiving him would not only be remarkably stupid on it's face, but even if someone claimed him AND we cut Paul's option, we'd came away with less than 10 million to work with.

Zero percent chance.
Plus teams without better options will always overpay for players provided they don’t have serious cap issues.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Plus teams without better options will always overpay for players provided they don’t have serious cap issues.

Exactly.
Right on - but I'm guessing the overpaid players thing will be trending downward now with the new CBA - with everybody trying to get rid of their Ayton's

You'll probably see guys of Ayton's caliber having less of a chance to get that contract but it doesn't change Ayton's situation.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We agree that we're overpaying, we disagree on whether or not to keep overpaying

We disagree on the realities of the NBA.

Getting rid of Ayton for nothing makes the Suns worse. Even if we don't have to pay him a dime AND we get rid of Paul's deal, we'd create a pittance of cap space because we are so far over the soft cap.

If we trade Ayton we need to get real value, because despite not being worth his deal, he still provides value to the Suns. We are much worse without him, it's just a fact.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Getting rid of Ayton for nothing makes the Suns worse. Even if we don't have to pay him a dime AND we get rid of Paul's deal, we'd create a pittance of cap space because we are so far over the soft cap.

If we trade Ayton we need to get real value, because despite not being worth his deal, he still provides value to the Suns. We are much worse without him, it's just a fact.
I'm good with trading Ayton for good value - I just don't see that happening - because Ayton isn't a good value and even worse now with the new CBA - and that's a reality

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm good with trading Ayton for good value - I just don't see that happening - because Ayton isn't a good value and even worse now with the new CBA - and that's a reality

Great.

There is still a zero percent chance we wave him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep. This has nothing to do with our desire to overpay him. It has to do with the reality of teams picking up a player with that contract on waivers or the Suns doing one of the most bonehead things ever and waiving him without compensation. There is someone out there that thinks they can do something with an 18/10 guy. Hell our new coach thinks that.

There is no chance this happens.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

This.....and isn't everyone on the suns overpaid except maybe Booker? If you go by the last three playoff melt downs they should all be arrested for theft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have to keep Ayton or trade him if the right offer comes along. They made the bed they are lying in.

I wouldn't mind seeing if Frank Vogel can do something with him. Waiving him is not an option.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns have to keep Ayton or trade him if the right offer comes along. They made the bed they are lying in.

I wouldn't mind seeing if Frank Vogel can do something with him. Waiving him is not an option.
I am coming to that conclusion. You always answer the phone to see what you can get in a trade. My problem is everyone knows Vogel is a center whisperer. If Ayton fails under Vogel, his trade value will actually get worse!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard