Shaq To Cavaliers Talk Is Back

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some comments from Kerr. It seems he may not be willing to give away Shaq just to save money, and yet who knows what his definition of an asset is. The team could trade Shaq to avoid paying LT, and then claim that they needed the money to re-sign Grant Hill or something, like they have said in the past.

It's no secret the Suns are trying to free up some cash, but Kerr wont trade Shaq away like Kurt Thomas was a few years ago. Thomas was traded away for that reason alone. If Shaq is traded, Kerr wants something back in return.

"You want to get assets in return in any deal," said Kerr. "That's the idea. That's why we are willing to listen to everything. We'll see what comes our way and what's out there. There is definitely a lot of interest in Shaq as there should be. The guy had a great year last year and he can still be unstoppable. It's easy to see why Cleveland would be interested based on the situation they are facing having to deal with Dwight Howard for the next 10 years."

While Cleveland is the team that has been portrayed as the front runners to win the Shaq sweepstakes, Kerr said a lot of the rumors are not necessarily true. He said he has been in talks with maybe 15 other teams and hadn't talked with Cleveland for about a week. During that week, the rumors began circulating that a deal was on the verge of completion.

"I've spoken to 15 teams during the week and nothing else came out," said Kerr. "All the sudden a week later all this Shaq stuff comes out. It's on the crawl on ESPN, it's reported practically as fact. There's just a lot of conversation going on, that's it. There is nothing major happening."

Kerr insists that the Suns will look at each and every offer and will do what is best for the team. The Suns have taken some chances over the last few years that didn't pay off. Now is the time to get everything on the same page again.

"Our feelings haven't changed since the end of last year," said Kerr. "We've got to get out money straight. We've got to get out situation going forward straight in terms of building in the right direction. We took a shot the last couple years, it hasn't panned out. We can't sit here and say we are championship contenders. Because of that, we need to look at every possibility out there and see what it is."
http://ktar.com/?sid=1180165&nid=112

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trade Shaq to the CAVS for pure garbage........Resign G. Hill....extend Nash.....trade Amare......
I'm gonna throw up if this is where we end up at the end of the summer.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's no secret the Suns are trying to free up some cash, but Kerr wont trade Shaq away like Kurt Thomas was a few years ago. Thomas was traded away for that reason alone. If Shaq is traded, Kerr wants something back in return.

"You want to get assets in return in any deal," said Kerr. "That's the idea. That's why we are willing to listen to everything. We'll see what comes our way and what's out there. There is definitely a lot of interest in Shaq as there should be. The guy had a great year last year and he can still be unstoppable. It's easy to see why Cleveland would be interested based on the situation they are facing having to deal with Dwight Howard for the next 10 years."

So did Kerr learn on the job from the KT/ draft picks giveaway? That was a terrible blunder. I think KT had a relatively low 12M expiring contract which could have had some value if Kerr hadn't pushed the panic buttom.

http://ktar.com/?sid=1180165&nid=112

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Anyone catch the All-Star Comedy Special Shaq and Cedric hosted over the all-star break, it was just on Showtime. Man, that was funny.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Anyone catch the All-Star Comedy Special Shaq and Cedric hosted over the all-star break, it was just on Showtime. Man, that was funny.

Youll be excited to know I worked on it, I got to see the Big Aristotle in person. But don't get too excited, I didn't get to touch him.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Took a shot the last couple of years, ugh. If Kerr meant shaq, yes that was a shot, but to use a basketball analogy, 'a shot after 20 intentional fouls'.

Which I described as foolish from a monetary situation, because you already shredded the team, adding the salary back now get's you neither back to where you were nor richer. But you knew they knew they screwed up and that was their knee jerk reaction. Not entirely a bad one, but one nonetheless. It was a hail mary pass. One that might have worked out, but ultimately didn't. But again one we don't have to make originally if we hadn't scumbag-ed our roster for a few million here and there for the previous couple of years.

I was thinking, man I feel kinda bad for Broncos fans, how bad must it feel, and right now I just thought, hey I do know, I saw $arver tear down the Suns, and somehow, because it was about $$$ it seems worse.

Whatever we get for Shaq, if traded, better be worth it (assuming shaq doesn't completely screw us over during trade talks). Plus Kerr better be smart and realize there is no bigger expiring contract in the NBA, not this year, and not since Shaq's last contract expired...or did it ever...(i.e. re-sign)? So with that in mind, we should be able to get 2 first round draft picks, maybe even three for the size of shaq's contract. Finally IF Lebron becomes a free agent, and IF you have to make a decision before you know his fate (i.e. he hasn't re-signed with Cavs by around the all-star break), then Shaq would be the contract with the most expiring and with the best crop available since the ill-fated Suns cap clearing exercise of what ~1999.

A good GM would realize it, and capitalize on it, IF...IF...HE...wanted to trade said player in the first place. With Shaq the answer is most likely yes. But will Kerr assess his worth correctly? Will they settle for basically any deal to make a deal? Those are unanswered questions, especially in light of how poorly we've seemed to peg draft picks, and how much unloading players costs you. BUT that said, if we've spent large amounts, why shouldn't people expect for us to expect to receive large amounts the other way? If any team should know the in's and out's of trading draft picks or clearing cap space or whatnot, it should be the Suns. I don't even think the Blazers have surpassed us for dealing for/away 1st round picks this decade, which about covers this current financial setup in the NBA (and thus the current going rates for things).

You must be registered for see images attach
I'm guessing this is like a fake news article generator? May I ask where I might find this intriguing website I could do so much with.

Last edited: