Shaq To Cavaliers Talk Is Back

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems the Shaq to Cavaliers talk is heating up. It looks like strictly a money saving venture for Phoenix with mention of only Sasha Pavlovic and Ben Wallace in return. No mention of a first round pick. If Phoenix does this deal they need a first rounder in return even if it is a late pick.

A potential Suns trade that would send center Shaquille O'Neal to Cleveland to help LeBron James' title quest is heating up again after the idea was put on a back burner following February talks.

The parts of the possible deal remain the same. Phoenix would send O'Neal to Cleveland for veteran power forward Ben Wallace, who is considering retirement, and reserve guard Sasha Pavlovic, whose final contract year is not fully guaranteed.

See article from Paul Coro of azcentral dated June 13th, 2009.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/06/13/20090613sunsshaq0614.html

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Even if we get the deal done with a 1st rounder, I don't like it. We get in return a has been center with absolutely no offensive skills, a streaky shooter at best, and a late 1st rounder. I would be more excited about the rookie than anyone else, which isnt saying much.

Wallace makes 14.5 mil and Pavlovic makes 4.5 mil. The rookie would probably be slotted to make 1 mil.

Shaq makes 21 mil.

All contracts expire at the end of next season

The overall savings is 2 mil (1 mil cap + 1 mil in luxury tax) Not much, but then again, trades must match salaries within 25%.

IMO, this team will be more competitive with Shaq next season and just letting his contract expire.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a horrible deal if the Suns are in "retool" mode as the Suns are saying they are. Agree that the Suns would be better off holding on to Shaq if they are retooling.

However, if the Suns are going to blow it up it makes more sense because basically you would be doing it for cap space if Ben retires.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
If this trade happens, I want CLE's 2010 1st (unprotected), not 2009. And we should not do this deal without that....

TJ

Reaction score
If this trade happens, I want CLE's 2010 1st (unprotected), not 2009. And we should not do this deal without that....

Makes more sense, especially with the cap and luxury tax ramifications, but either way, the pick would be in the late 20's or #30.

Sucks making draft trades with a contender.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq will be a Sun this next season, mark it.

If it happens, would you switch your allegiance to the Cavaliers? Lebron and Shaq in Cleveland would be a big attraction. I fear you might be seen loitering around the Cavaliers discussion forums. ;)

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Makes more sense, especially with the cap and luxury tax ramifications, but either way, the pick would be in the late 20's or #30.

Sucks making draft trades with a contender.

It's better than not having a pick altogether, which is what we are looking at next year as of now....

Personally, I prefer a trade of Shaq to NO for Chandler/whatever/no pick and leaving the rest of the team as is - including Amare. If we go with this CLE trade, we have to make several other trades to make this team worthwhile.

Trade Shaq/Tucker for Chandler/Peterson/Bowen(s&t at $2.4M)

Running a lineup of:

Nash-Richardson-Hill-Amare-Chandler

Barbosa-Dudley-Dragic-Bowen-Peterson-Lopez-Amundson-Barnes

Bowen probably ain't worth that contract, but it makes the numbers work and we have a helluva team!

TJ

Reaction score
It's better than not having a pick altogether, which is what we are looking at next year as of now....

Personally, I prefer a trade of Shaq to NO for Chandler/whatever/no pick and leaving the rest of the team as is - including Amare. If we go with this CLE trade, we have to make several other trades to make this team worthwhile.

Running a lineup of:

Bowen probably ain't worth that contract, but it makes the numbers work and we have a helluva team!

Not to rain on your parade, but that trade isn't much better than the one with the Cavs. One can argue this is a worse idea.

Chandler is the center piece of that trade. He is a huge injury liability. Remember, the Hornets tried to trade him to OKC but he failed their physical. He also had off season ankle and big toe surgery. Plus, he will have two years on his contract for around $23 mil total. Not worth the risk.

Mo Peterson is a no on many levels. For starters, he will be 32 at the beginning of next season. Second, he is making about $6 mil per year and like Chandler, has two years left on his deal. He underachieves as a 2 guard with an abysmal 4.4 PPG

All Bowen does is make the numbers work, but he will be 31 in December.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Running a lineup of:

Is Grant Hill coming back next year? Barnes? I don't see their names popping up anywhere. The Suns don't have playing time to keep both of them.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's a tough call. Giving up O'Neal for basically nothing would be a huge talent loss. But if most of Pavlovic's contract is unguaranteed, the savings could stretch into the $7-10 million range. That's a lot of money to direct elsewhere for a team that isn't going to accomplish anything anyway.

Also, there are rumors that Ben Wallace is considering retiring, and that he won't suit up on the bench for a year just to earn his money. If the Suns know that Wallace is planning to retire, and would accept (say) a buyout for half of his salary, suddenly the savings become huge.

Blackification

Registered
Reaction score
try our best to trade him to new orleans for chandler first before we start talking to cleveland again especially for a crappy trade like this.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
the trade won't happen
If it happens, would you switch your allegiance to the Cavaliers? Lebron and Shaq in Cleveland would be a big attraction. I fear you might be seen loitering around the Cavaliers discussion forums. ;)

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Two first rounders or this trade is a joke, memphis got more for gasol ffs and shaq is a huge expiring just in case he doesn't work for cleveland it is a one year experimental rental.

Two first rounders.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not to rain on your parade, but that trade isn't much better than the one with the Cavs. One can argue this is a worse idea.

Chandler is the center piece of that trade. He is a huge injury liability. Remember, the Hornets tried to trade him to OKC but he failed their physical. He also had off season ankle and big toe surgery. Plus, he will have two years on his contract for around $23 mil total. Not worth the risk.

Mo Peterson is a no on many levels. For starters, he will be 32 at the beginning of next season. Second, he is making about $6 mil per year and like Chandler, has two years left on his deal. He underachieves as a 2 guard with an abysmal 4.4 PPG

All Bowen does is make the numbers work, but he will be 31 in December.

If healthy, and a physical has to be passed for the trade to be completed, Chandler gives us exactly what we need: post defense & rebounding an he is only like 27 years old. I could tolerate Peterson, maybe he has a buyout if not he rides the bench, plays a few minutes here and there at the 3 if we don't bring back Barnes or Hill.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I don't like the Cleveland deal and I feel Chandler is too brittle...

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
Heard the ESPN people say that this deal has a decent chance of happening now as opposed to back in Feb. If it really happenz I expect Pavlovic to be bought out since we would have too many guards. And I guess our training staff believes they can rejuvenile Big Ben just like they did with Shaq :bang:

TJ

Reaction score
I neglected to mention the facts that only 1.5 mil of Pavlovic's contract is guaranteed and Big Ben may accept a buy out, meaning the Suns will save around $10 mil.

I hope Sarver and Kerr are prepared for attendance ramifications. They are trading their most charismatic player who sells mega merchandise and puts butts in the seats. I anticipate our average attendance to be around 15,000/game as opposed to the 18,422 sell out crowds every game. My company has already canceled their four season tickets in Sec. 122.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Suns do this trade, It is becuse Sarver wants to save cash, and nothing else.. once again this would not be a basketball move, this would be a bank move, and givin the track record, I am preparing myself for this, with my throw-up pan ready..

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I'd want JJ Hickson in return.

Andrew - Shaq will not be a Sun next season. Mark it. Hopefully we can include you in the trade package as well.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
If Cleveland wants Shaq, we should INSIST that they have to take Richardson as well.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
If Cleveland wants Shaq, we should INSIST that they have to take Richardson as well.

That'll make the deal very hard to assemble. J.Rich makes 13M next year, how do you want it to be matched? Ilgauskas? I don't think he is useful for the Suns, but his contract is expiring ...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Id be all for this deal, especially if they can just not have Pavlovich and Wallace suit up and save a ton of cash. Id love Clevelands 2010 pick so that we have at least something that year. On the other hand, their 2011 pick may be more valuable, if LeBron James bolts for another team, that pick could be pretty high.

Ideally getting their 2010 and 2011 would be nice, but they cant trade their 1st rounder 2 years in a row. Im pretty sure they dont own anyone elses 2010 pick either, so theres no way to make that happen.

Id be happy with their 2009 and 2011 though.

I'd want JJ Hickson in return.

Andrew - Shaq will not be a Sun next season. Mark it. Hopefully we can include you in the trade package as well.

From your mouth to Gods ears on both Hickson and Andrew :D

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cleveland pick is worthless. You could pick up a player on the FA market that will contribute as much as a player at that pick. I would rather sign a "D" league player you have seen play then a player at that draft position out of college.