Several NCAA asst. basketball coaches arrested

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also a story out yesterday saying all 10 people named in the FBI case will be formally indicted next week and then will be allowed to see the evidence against them via discovery.

Not sure, but I would guess this means like in the Mueller case, those indictments will become available to the media and we'll start to see more information on which players may be involved but don't quote me on that it's just a guess.

Bowen's lawyer said the FBI cleared him and they were now working for reinstatement but it was highly misleading. All it was is the FBI , as everyone expected, had no intention of indicting an 18 year old kid for getting paid, they simply said the dad took the money, the kid said he didn't know, and they'd leave it up to the NCAA to decide about reinstating him.

Louisville hasn't commented but the general feeling is Louisville has no intention of playing Bowen this year if ever. People keep wanting to compare his case to Cam Newton's case but in Cam's case, there was only evidence the dad asked MSU for money, he committed to Auburn and there was no evidence he got money. Everyone believed he did, presumably more than MSU offered, but there was no proof. In Bowen's case there is apparently proof the dad got 100K, so it's highly unlikely the NCAA will us Newton's case as precedent for Bowen.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

From what I understand Alabama self reported him to the NCAA after they did their own investigation and found out Kobie Baker, former NCAA compliance guy on their staff, had paid a player and was steering him to an agent. Based on the description and where he was from it was pretty obvious it was Sexton, apparently Bama confirmed it and self reported him since the NCAA had already cleared him before the story broke.

So he's suspended now and it will be interesting to see how long or if the NCAA reinstates him at all given he lied to them when he submitted the paperwork saying he had not violated his amateur status.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Saban is in the clear though. I guess without shoe companies influencing CFB a booster can just hand over an untraced shoe box of cash.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saban is in the clear though. I guess without shoe companies influencing CFB a booster can just hand over an untraced shoe box of cash.

People keep saying Football is next but I guess it's different in football. In basketball with AAU it's much easier to have a system to funnel money to kids via other people, and that's what the FBI stumbled into when they caught Balzer in something else.

With football they get paid but apparently in different ways so if they get caught it may be a whole different "playbook."

Sexton is so far probably the most embarassing one for the NCAA, the guy who paid him and hooked him up with an agent, Kobie Baker, was an NCAA compliance officer prior to Alabama hiring him.He was the "assistant director of enforcement" for the NCAA, and then Alabama hired him as Associate AD. A bama site called Bama hoops posted this about Baker the day he was hired, kind of ironic now.

"The staff is now complete, with Kobie Baker on board as special assistant to the head coach/Senior Director of Basketball Operations. He worked with the team from 2006-2009 in the roles of director of basketball operations, assistant coach, and athletics development officer. For the last three years, he's worked at the NCAA headquarters as associate director of amateurism certification and assistant director of enforcement basketball development.

I think this is a good hire. It alleviates some of my concerns about Coach Johnson's lack of familiarity with complex NCAA rules and regulations."

There's another site out there claiming the reason Avery Johnson hired Baker is he was connected to recruit Terrance Ferguson. Ferguson verballed to Bama first, a week later they hired Baker. If that's true they literally hired a guy to get a player, and not only wound up not getting the player, but the guy cost them Sexton a year later.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Auburn University Men's Basketball
Report: Bruce Pearl's job could be in jeopardy at Auburn
Auburn men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl's job could be in jeopardy, according to an ESPN report.
Citing unnamed sources, ESPN's Mark Schlabach is reporting that Pearl is refusing to cooperate in the school's internal investigation of the men's basketball program and that his job could be at risk if he continues.

The program has been undergoing an internal review being conducted by the Birmingham-based law firm of Lightfoot, Franklin & White since late September after former associate head men's basketball Chuck Person was arrested and charged with six counts of federal corruption as a result of an FBI investigation into college basketball.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/report-bruce-pearl-s-job-could-be-in-jeopardy-at/article_c2ef1eb0-c4cb-11e7-9dc4-cbace7453e2b.html

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Still coming out on Pitino.

Things aren't looking good for Enfield and Pearl either.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still coming out on Pitino.

Things aren't looking good for Enfield and Pearl either.

Yeah Bland's attorney sort of threw Enfield under the bus today. He outright said they're making a scapegoat of Bland and not going after the million dollar coaches or the shoe companies. Given his client works under Enfield he essentially said why arrest my client for doing what his head coach expects him to do, get players by any means necessary.

It's been brought up often but there's this perception because Book has worked for Miller for so long, the odds of him rolling over or throwing Sean under the bus are lower. The downside for that is it's harder to claim I didn't know what he was doing he went rogue, when you've worked together for 10 years and suddenly in the last few years he's suddenly recruiting at a whole other level.

Arizona is the one that's fascinating in this since it appears they're they only school that doesn't intend to holdout any players

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah Bland's attorney sort of threw Enfield under the bus today. He outright said they're making a scapegoat of Bland and not going after the million dollar coaches or the shoe companies. Given his client works under Enfield he essentially said why arrest my client for doing what his head coach expects him to do, get players by any means necessary.

It's been brought up often but there's this perception because Book has worked for Miller for so long, the odds of him rolling over or throwing Sean under the bus are lower. The downside for that is it's harder to claim I didn't know what he was doing he went rogue, when you've worked together for 10 years and suddenly in the last few years he's suddenly recruiting at a whole other level.

Arizona is the one that's fascinating in this since it appears they're they only school that doesn't intend to holdout any players

We won't know until Alkins and Randolph are "healthy" because those are the only two current players that Book recruited. Since Miller gave a timetable on Randolph it's unlikely there's any shanenagins plus I don't think Miller would be that stupid to not just suspend them indefinitely.

They can win a championship without Rawle so that's even more reason to sit him if there's any truth to the allegations. If he plays I'm thinking Arizona and Miller might be okay in this. It's interesting that the closer we get to CBB starting more stuff comes out by the day; Pastner, Pearl, Sexton etc.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We won't know until Alkins and Randolph are "healthy" because those are the only two current players that Book recruited. Since Miller gave a timetable on Randolph it's unlikely there's any shanenagins plus I don't think Miller would be that stupid to not just suspend them indefinitely.

They can win a championship without Rawle so that's even more reason to sit him if there's any truth to the allegations. If he plays I'm thinking Arizona and Miller might be okay in this. It's interesting that the closer we get to CBB starting more stuff comes out by the day; Pastner, Pearl, Sexton etc.

Arizona has effectively said they're not suspending anybody. That either means they don't know who the players are, or they're not convinced the players did anything. Alkins has a broken foot and Randolph a concussion so it's clear neither one of them missed exhibitions over a suspension.

They are the only school that apparently has no intention of holding players out until notified by the NCAA, they're either not sure who they are, smarter than the other schools, or just willing to roll the dice and hope the suspensions won't come down during the season. At this point I don't expect any UA kids to be suspended for the opener, if they were going to do that they'd have done it in the exhibitions too like with Trier last year.

It's a no risk it no biscuit approach for sure.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Pitino is "coach #2" I wonder who "coach #1" is? Please let it be Roy Williams.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce Pearl again.... still. Will the NCAA please give this guy a lifetime ban? Not an honest bone in his body. Serial offender.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/rick-pitino-directed-money-recruits/408199

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl could find his job in jeopardy over his refusal to cooperate with the school’s investigation into the basketball program.

ESPN’s Mark Schlabach and Paula Lavigne [URL='http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21342267/bruce-pearl-job-jeopardy-cooperate-auburn-internal-investigation']reported Wednesday
that Pearl is currently refusing to cooperate with the school’s ongoing internal investigation stemming from federal bribery and corruption charges brought against former assistant Chuck Person.[/URL]

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Pitino is "coach #2" I wonder who "coach #1" is? Please let it be Roy Williams.

Coach 1 is Jordan Fair a Louisville Assistant who they already fired along with Pitino.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Arizona has effectively said they're not suspending anybody. That either means they don't know who the players are, or they're not convinced the players did anything. Alkins has a broken foot and Randolph a concussion so it's clear neither one of them missed exhibitions over a suspension.

They are the only school that apparently has no intention of holding players out until notified by the NCAA, they're either not sure who they are, smarter than the other schools, or just willing to roll the dice and hope the suspensions won't come down during the season. At this point I don't expect any UA kids to be suspended for the opener, if they were going to do that they'd have done it in the exhibitions too like with Trier last year.

It's a no risk it no biscuit approach for sure.

http://playersprogramu.com/arizona-...-the-room-rawle-alkins/msg4959/?topicseen#new

Again, we won't know until he's healthy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I've always assumed he was one of the 3 because he's from NY. As you know my guesses on the 3 have changed repeatedly as I go over the list, I always assumed Trier was one of them but maybe not.

I should add as I've said before, even if the other 2 didn't get any money, if the NCAA believes that they had a deal to go with Dawkins after they left Arziona, that's an NCAA violation. Players can talk to agents, but they can't have a deal in place written or verbal to retain a certain agent after they leave school.

That article you linked didn't have the full text. The full text quotes Book and Dawkins discussing the 3 players, one already got paid we don't have to worry about him(article says it's Alkins). 1 they think is on board, (article thinks it's Randolph). The 3rd guy in the FBI story Book describes him as "sheltered", says he's not experienced in the system at all, his relative is "his first and last rodeo".

The last 2 it implies they both agreed to probably work with Dawkins, the sheltered kid the relative said he's inclined to probably SIGN with Dawkins, the other one Book said he was going to work him but he was pretty confident he was going to sign with Dawkins. So if that stuff is true, then it's solely up to the NCAA whether they consider that is agreeing to hire an agent or not. You don't have to get money if you agree, but that's really the call of the NCAA.

The best case scenario for you would be if it's just Alkins and the other 2 never got money so theyre good. . Worst case scenario would be losing Alkins and the 2 kids most likely to replace him

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add, if that version you linked is true, it makes it much harder for Miller because it outright states that Dawkins and Alkins cousin essentially were around the program which reinforces what Dawkins said, that he had free access. You can't claim compliant atmosphere if you have an agent with access to players and practices.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I doubt anybody would but all it would take is one former recruit to come out and say I got paid and RP knew about it and that would refute it.

I do think the statement about Dawkins is consistent with what others have been saying, that he was name dropping to try and get more money. That's the entire defense in the alleged bidding war over Nassir Little, Dawkins tells Gatto one of his competing companies(Nike) has offered 150K and if Miami wants the kid they will probably have to match it. He says the coach(Larranaga) knows all about it and is ok with it, Miami insists that's completely untrue.

That part of it doesn't really surprise me and it's actually fairly easy to believe some of that is true. It's always been assumed that big name coaches wouldn't be dumb enough to risk their salaries by being directly involved without a couple of layers of Kevin Bacon separation, so suggesting a coach directly approved of something is iffy.

The problem Pitino has is he insisted he didn't have any communication and the description of him includes him having multiple phone calls with Adidas exec Gatto. Now he says he was asking about shoes for a former player but he originally denied having made the calls.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USC on DeAnthony Melton.
“As a precaution, De’Anthony Melton is being held out due to a potential issue regarding eligibility,” said an official statement from USC. “De’Anthony is a valued member of the USC community and USC is working diligently to independently investigate this matter in order to confirm that De’Anthony meets the NCAA eligibility requirements.”

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard