• Jalen Carter

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Trade R1P3 for 4 all mid-R1,R2,R3,&R4 picks

Votes: 19 38.8%

• Total voters

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I'm glad were not in the QB market. A 6'2" 180lb QB with average arm strength coming out of Ohio wouldn't be high on my shopping list.
Agreed. But KM isn’t it either. Just doesn’t have the IQ and the “it” factor. Build the line, QB next year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was going to write the same thing. If it's a choice you take Anderson because iDL rarely impact right away. Your really looking at the 3rd season for most iDL before they adjust enough to be a star player.

Edge can and do impact regularly in year 1.

But in this scenario I chose to trade back. Moving back to mid teens to add a mid 2, 3 and 4 is too tempting. I'd be even more tempted to do something like Philly did and trade back for a mid 1st and their next years 1st.

But in the scenario above guys like Paris Johnson, Cam Smith, Jared Verse, Gonzalez etc should be available and having two 2nds, two 3rds and 2 4ths lets us rebuild a lot of the roster.
Naw don't kid yourself. The Cardinals could really use a true defensive building block. Sometimes having two good players isn't as good as having one really good players.

The Cardinals need a game changing defender. Anderson is super twitchy. Freakishly twitchy.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Naw don't kid yourself. The Cardinals could really use a true defensive building block. Sometimes having two good players isn't as good as having one really good players.

The Cardinals need a game changing defender. Anderson is super twitchy. Freakishly twitchy.
This right here.

This team is desperately in need of a defensive franchise cornerstone who can just take over games by theirselves. The new GM cannot overthink this. ONLY think about trading back if both Carter & Anderson are gone off the board.

I’d be fine if we traded back in the 2nd regardless of who’s on the board.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This right here.

This team is desperately in need of a defensive franchise cornerstone who can just take over games by theirselves. The new GM cannot overthink this. ONLY think about trading back if both Carter & Anderson are gone off the board.

For the most part I feel Carter or Anderson is a question on preference over anything else and I agree that they would be tough to move off of. I don't know what the price is but it would be pretty high unless someone is really sold on Paris Johnson and multiple first round picks as well as trading Humphries.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This right here.

agree.
the biggest knock on steve keim was his inability to draft true impact players. the guys with Canton potential. whoever the new GM is, he needs to start his career doing exactly that.

getting OUR Aaron Donald, or OUR Reggie White, totally changes everything we can or have to do on defense. That guy that gets the sack when the game is on the line has been missing in AZ for forever.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I feel our offense is going to struggle over the next couple years. This leads me to thinking that the time is right to put everything into building an awesome D. I don think it would take much with a few top picks.
1. Starting with the Dline and our version of an Aaron Donald.
2. Next is an all out pass rusher, one whose blazing speed around the corners puts fear in opposing OTs and QBs, even if he is used only in sure passing situations. Maybe we could find this player in the 3rd or even 4th round from a smaller lesser recognized football establishment.
3. A true shut down corner, plus serious depth across at all dback positions. Would love to see us pick up 2 cbs in this draft with serious upside. Maybe one in the 2nd round and another in the 4th or 5th.

I sort of like the Niners approach over the last few years, where they first built that solid D ahead of finishing up the offense.

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
I would take #3 and trade back:
#1 Peter Skoronski, LG, 6'4" 320
#2 John Michael Schmitz C, 6'4" 320
#2 Siaki Ika DT 6'4" 354
It is hard to find a player who moves as well as Ika does for his size. He has really good change of direction and athleticism that is evident on film. Ika’s change of direction allows him to make plays upfield and his motor is pretty impressive too. There were a number of plays where he was able to make an impact after the play broke down. The natural power and upper body strength Ika possesses made him really hard to move. He’ll be able to take on double teams at the next level and eat space.
#3 Devon Witherspoon Slot CB 6'0" 190
#3 Jaelyn Duncan OT 6'5" 320
#3 (Comp pick) Laiatu Latu Edge 6'5" 265
#4 Jaylon Jones CB 6'2" 205
#4 Tommy Eichenberg ILB 6'2" 240
Want to build up the Offensive Line and the Defensive line going to a 4-2-5 (w/FA Gaines from the Rams with the resigning of Watts and Allen). Also, I believe that I would resign Trysten Hill and I believe that Fotu is better suited in a 4-man line.
Also, with these many picks trading back into the first round or the second round.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I would take #3 and trade back:
#1 Peter Skoronski, LG, 6'4" 320
#2 John Michael Schmitz C, 6'4" 320
#2 Siaki Ika DT 6'4" 354
It is hard to find a player who moves as well as Ika does for his size. He has really good change of direction and athleticism that is evident on film. Ika’s change of direction allows him to make plays upfield and his motor is pretty impressive too. There were a number of plays where he was able to make an impact after the play broke down. The natural power and upper body strength Ika possesses made him really hard to move. He’ll be able to take on double teams at the next level and eat space.
#3 Devon Witherspoon Slot CB 6'0" 190
#3 Jaelyn Duncan OT 6'5" 320
#3 (Comp pick) Laiatu Latu Edge 6'5" 265
#4 Jaylon Jones CB 6'2" 205
#4 Tommy Eichenberg ILB 6'2" 240
Want to build up the Offensive Line and the Defensive line going to a 4-2-5 (w/FA Gaines from the Rams with the resigning of Watts and Allen). Also, I believe that I would resign Trysten Hill and I believe that Fotu is better suited in a 4-man line.
Also, with these many picks trading back into the first round or the second round.
lots of picks is great and all. the problem is, if they hit,...you then have lots of young talent looking for their first big contract all at the same time.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
lots of picks is great and all. the problem is, if they hit,...you then have lots of young talent looking for their first big contract all at the same time.
Similar to asking the most beautiful woman you have ever seen to marry you and after she says ¨ yes ¨ you realize you have just condemned yourself to a lifetime of jealousy and suspicion.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
agree.
the biggest knock on steve keim was his inability to draft true impact players. the guys with Canton potential. whoever the new GM is, he needs to start his career doing exactly that.

getting OUR Aaron Donald, or OUR Reggie White, totally changes everything we can or have to do on defense. That guy that gets the sack when the game is on the line has been missing in AZ for forever.

There's two sides to this coin though.

You can draft the right guy but then he's misused, or unused, or poorly coached.

Reddick is the prime example. There are obvious coaching and usage issues with Zaven and Simmons. Even Budda Baker would barely have played as a rookie if not for Badger getting injured.

We rarely put rookies in a position to succeed early and it happens too often for it to always be the pick.

Does anyone believe if we draft Parsons he has the same impact? He probably plays 300 snaps at ILB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There's two sides to this coin though.

You can draft the right guy but then he's misused, or unused, or poorly coached.

Reddick is the prime example. There are obvious coaching and usage issues with Zaven and Simmons. Even Budda Baker would barely have played as a rookie if not for Badger getting injured.

We rarely put rookies in a position to succeed early and it happens too often for it to always be the pick.

Does anyone believe if we draft Parsons he has the same impact? He probably plays 300 snaps at ILB.
I can't help but think that Collins AND Simmons would be better as 4-3 OLB. Collins is well suited as a SLB with his size and Simmons at WLB.

Draft Will Anderson, play him on the blind side, move Cam Thomas to Strongside DL and bring in a space heater at NT. Resign Allen to play 3 Tech.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I can't help but think that Collins AND Simmons would be better as 4-3 OLB. Collins is well suited as a SLB with his size and Simmons at WLB.

Draft Will Anderson, play him on the blind side, move Cam Thomas to Strongside DL and bring in a space heater at NT. Resign Allen to play 3 Tech.
I would be on board with this.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Collins, probably.

Simmons is a lost cause. There’s not a scheme in the world that cover up being a liability in man coverage while being a liability in run-defense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We have been playing 4-3 base most the season but with Vigil/Niemann/Valejo at SAM, Collins at MIKE and while Simmons has been moving around he's essentially been a Will/Dime backer.

They need to stop messing around and putting guys in a position to fail.

Draft an Edge (Anderson ideally, he's way above everyone else) go back to 3-4, Thomas can be used inside and outside. Play Simmons and Collins as Mike and Will and stop dicking them about.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Collins, probably.

Simmons is a lost cause. There’s not a scheme in the world that cover up being a liability in man coverage while being a liability in run-defense.
I think you have to drastically limit his responsibility. Any system where he has to think too much, he's going to struggle.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you have to drastically limit his responsibility. Any system where he has to think too much, he's going to struggle.
What would be his responsibility?

He can’t:

- Cover in man even against RBs & TEs.
- Defend in the run.
- Pass rush as an EDGE.

Hell, white flag is already out with the first point.

The guy just can’t blitz all game.

What is he supposed to do when can’t do any of those 3 points?

He’s not fixable in any scheme at any position on the field. His strictly-only linear athleticism won’t allow him to. He’ll make a few splash plays while looking lost on a lot more plays.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He can’t:

- Defend in the run.
- Pass rush as an EDGE.

He’s not fixable in any scheme at any position on the field. His strictly-only linear athleticism won’t allow him to. He’ll make a few splash plays while looking lost on a lot more plays.
I think, maybe naïvely, that he can be fixed. Dude is asked to do too much and his brain just can't handle it. He shouldn't be attending both LB and defensive back meetings. He needs to be given a more limited role in the defense until he comes much closer to mastery. It's why surgeons don't specialize in more than one area. You don't see surgeon that has both a neuro and thoracic specialties.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see this before I posted my response. We completely agree.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think, maybe naïvely, that he can be fixed. Dude is asked to do too much and his brain just can't handle it. He shouldn't be attending both LB and defensive back meetings. He needs to be given a more limited role in the defense until he comes much closer to mastery. It's why surgeons don't specialize in more than one area. You don't see surgeon that has both a neuro and thoracic specialties.
What would be his specific role? Can you please give me an example of that?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

He can’t:

- Defend in the run.
- Pass rush as an EDGE.

Personally I disagree. I think he can play SS in base defenses. He may not be great in coverage but he can be adequate. I think he can be good enough vs the run in nickel packages and you offset a little bit of his issues by blitzing him at a higher rate. In terms of blitzing all of the time...Budda Baker has blitzed almost 20 times more that Simmons this year. Same with Zaven Collins.

Part of my argument for Simmons is that AZ media has hidden the truth about Simmons and his "versatility" is that he is either playing a traditional read and react LB role or he is playing a slot CB role which are both playing to his weaknesses vs his strengths. He is not being used as a pressure player much at all and his role is VERY predictable.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally I disagree. I think he can play SS in base defenses. He may not be great in coverage but he can be adequate. I think he can be good enough vs the run in nickel packages and you offset a little bit of his issues by blitzing him at a higher rate. In terms of blitzing all of the time...Budda Baker has blitzed almost 20 times more that Simmons this year. Same with Zaven Collins.

Part of my argument for Simmons is that AZ media has hidden the truth about Simmons and his "versatility" is that he is either playing a traditional read and react LB role or he is playing a slot CB role which are both playing to his weaknesses vs his strengths. He is not being used as a pressure player much at all and his role is VERY predictable.

I think Simmons would be much better if he did much more of his work downhill and sideways rather than going away from the ball.

Everything he is bad at is when he's going away from the ball. Keep his eyes forward and he's much better.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
agree.

Well, he DID draft Hassan Reddick and if they didnt destroy his early career by putting him at ILB he may have had much better impact from the start of his rookie season.

For more examples of this see Isaiah Simmons. :sad:

Point im making is even if we traded for more picks or stuck with the 3rd or 4th overall pick this team would screw it up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson