seau and remaining cap space..

pinnacle

Reaction score
I am assuming we are approximately $17.5 million under the cap..and assume the most we will spend on the rookie pool is $4 million...$13.5 Mil left. In my opinion. the cardinals will not go into training camp with more than $5 million left under the cap. We have to spend at least up to 90% of the cap..so assume for a moment we are almost forced to spend another $8 million (outside of the draft). Holliday = gone. Who do we spend it on? No veteran receiver out there (free agent wise) is worth over $2 million year one cap space. We can wait for june 1 cuts a see if a guy we want is cut - but these are usually not guys who command big $$..we can resign shelton and KVB..but this will not burn that much cap space over what they are going to count this season..

Point of all of this...I do not think we have heard the end of junior seau. His agent denied he said he would not play here..we are probably the only team that willing to take on his contract, pay him the $2.5 mil on april 15th he is owed and give up a draft pick...I was not able to confirm if seau has a no trade clause or not..if he does not - he will have no choice but to play here (or stop playing for life of contract - like 3 years).

I am mixed on whether he would add anything - not sure if his dropoff last season was due to age or injuries or both..since the deadline for the roster bonus is fast approaching - I would think san diego needs to deal him or cut him by the 15th..

Question:: does anyone see enough guys that are available in the free agent market at our need positions to spend $8 - $10 million on (year one cap space wise)??

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Here's what left of quality FA's (according to the War Room):

Wesley Walls TE
Jamir Miller LB
James Williams T
Mo Collins T
Qadry Ismail WR
Kwamie Lassiter S
Solomon Page T
Richmond Webb T
Gilbert Brown NT
Oronde Gadsden WR
Olandis Gary RB
Ernie Conwell TE
Germane Crowell WR
Shane Dronett DT
Lee Flowers S
Rob Fredrickson LB
Raghib Ismail WR
Chester McGlockton DT
Frank Sanders WR
Sam Shade S
Keion Carpenter S
Chidi Ahanotu DE

If Jamir would come back, he could be an addition. Other than that WR Qadry Ismail, WR Gadsden, DT McGlockton.

Let's hope for 1st June.....

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
I think jamir is deciding between a couple of teams he had visits to (chiefs ravens and I think bucs?) - but not sure the chiefs would still make him an offer due to cap space..looks like it will come down to ravens and browns.. So far we have not had him in for visit - figured we would at least try b/c he supposedly still lives in phoenix in the offseason and we could use him - but either he or the cardinals are not ready to mend any fences. Chidi Ahanotu is the only de on your list..I think simeon replaced him in tampa and chidi best days are behind him. whitehead is probably the best dend on the market - and he is career backup..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn