Cardinals cap space and Mikey B's wallet

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
With all the talk about cap hits and cap space, it got me thinking. Let's assume the Cards trade DHop(95% chance that happens) and Baker(60%).
Murray is obvioulsy the highest paid player left, but who is next? DJ just re-structured so not sure what his number is. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Ertz and Connor would be the next highest paid players on the team. I mean, good god, how sad is that?
Other than Murray, will the Cards have another player making over $8 mill? Maybe I'm forgetting somebody, even so, it's pathetic what this roster is.

Mikey must be saving for a new plane. I'm guessing the Cards will have the lowest player, coaching staff, and front office payroll in the league.

Then you have this from Mikey, I've got an idea, let's raise ticket prices!!!! Maybe with all this money saving and price hiking, the Cards workout facility can get a new floor or maybe they'll give all the players their own Planet Fitness membership.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, it's inexcusable garbage. I mean, I get not going all-in for this season. That would fail big time and set us back. But just because you aren't competing this year doesn't mean you can bring in talent on long-term contracts. Literally only building through the draft is cheap as hell, without reason, and will just lead to longer-term suffering. Use the draft as the spine of the re-build and sprinkle around it some solid long-term signings. Then, voila, you might actually compete in 2024. Fans buying into this needed to be a 2, 3, even 4 year rebuild are just buying into the baloney.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, it's inexcusable garbage. I mean, I get not going all-in for this season. That would fail big time and set us back. But just because you aren't competing this year doesn't mean you can bring in talent on long-term contracts. Literally only building through the draft is cheap as hell, without reason, and will just lead to longer-term suffering. Use the draft as the spine of the re-build and sprinkle around it some solid long-term signings. Then, voila, you might actually compete in 2024. Fans buying into this needed to be a 2, 3, even 4 year rebuild are just buying into the baloney.

Why not sprinkle the FA's around in 2024 and save the money next year to roll over?

Not even going to think about this too hard but it's not hard to see a 2024 team that look like this

Offense

Marvin Harrison Jr ('24 1st) Marquise Brown Rondale Moore

Trey McBride TJ Hockenson ('24 FA)

Hump Avila ('23 2nd) Van Pran ('24 2nd) Hernandez Freeland (2023 3rd)

Kyler

Defense

Thomas Orhorhoro ('24 3rd) Reader ('24 FA) Anderson ('23 1st)

Collins White

Wilson Simmons Stevenson ('23 2nd from Hop trade)

JT

And this is with only 2 FA additions. You could go far crazier than this.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With all the talk about cap hits and cap space, it got me thinking. Let's assume the Cards trade DHop(95% chance that happens) and Baker(60%).
Murray is obvioulsy the highest paid player left, but who is next? DJ just re-structured so not sure what his number is. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Ertz and Connor would be the next highest paid players on the team. I mean, good god, how sad is that?
Other than Murray, will the Cards have another player making over $8 mill? Maybe I'm forgetting somebody, even so, it's pathetic what this roster is.

Mikey must be saving for a new plane. I'm guessing the Cards will have the lowest player, coaching staff, and front office payroll in the league.

Then you have this from Mikey, I've got an idea, let's raise ticket prices!!!! Maybe with all this money saving and price hiking, the Cards workout facility can get a new floor or maybe they'll give all the players their own Planet Fitness membership.

Why don't you take a moment and go to Spotrac and find the answers to your questions before starting a thread?

Just sayin'

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The chance that Dhop and Budda are traded is slim. No one wants to pick up their contract and lose draft picks. The Cardinals have $21M in cap space. MB ate a ton of cash by firing KK and SK. I really don't understand the theory that MB is cheap.
Agreed. Cards are happy and willing to pay their contracts if they remain on the team and play, but I just think Monti wants to wait until next off-season for anymore guaranteed $$ extensions.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can't sign free agents because no one wants to come here unless we overpay for them.

So the free agents we do sign are guys that nobody wants but they want to prove themselves and hopefully play well enough to sign a larger contract after next year. They're willing to sign here because here they will get playing time and everywhere else they probably won't.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can't sign free agents because no one wants to come here unless we overpay for them.

So the free agents we do sign are guys that nobody wants but they want to prove themselves and hopefully play well enough to sign a larger contract after next year. They're willing to sign here because here they will get playing time and everywhere else they probably won't.
Apparently this is what's happening without the FO coming out and saying it

If we start winning then things could change, but that's a big if

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologists in March: you can’t make a team in free agency—you have to build through the draft!

Apologists in April: free agent spending spree coming in 2024!
I don't think there are any apologists it's just real. It's not that we can't make a team in free agency it's that our team sucks so bad we are unable to. And the jury is still out whether or not we can draft well. Bleak times.

And cut with the calling people out crap. You've been doing this quite a bit lately so you need to knock it off or else you will be taking a break.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think there are any apologists it's just real. It's not that we can't make a team in free agency it's that our team sucks so bad we are unable to. And the jury is still out whether or not we can draft well. Bleak times.

And cut with the calling people out crap. You've been doing this quite a bit lately so you need to knock it off or else you will be taking a break.
Really? The board has thread titles with the word Darksider in them. Koolaider’s are called out all the time. I thought this was a pretty accurate take based on what I have seen posted.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why not sprinkle the FA's around in 2024 and save the money next year to roll over?

Not even going to think about this too hard but it's not hard to see a 2024 team that look like this

Offense

Kyler

Defense

Collins White

JT

I’m because many of the free agents that are available this year that warrant multi-year deals won’t be available next year. And before you say there will be players available next year too, yes, you’re right, but then you’ve limited your pool to half the talent available. Not smart shopping.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Offense

Kyler

Defense

Collins White

JT

Reasonable. If we hit on all 7 draft picks over two years . . . so . . . yeeaaahhhh . . . no.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

You forgot to add eating those contracts of MillerKeim & Klownsbury lol

Yeah the wallet took quite a hit in the last year :cool:. but yep it’s the Cardinal way

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I mean, he’s only mimicking a certain other poster’s style in like every other thread.

Also, even the worst squads have historically been capable of signing a couple valuable free agents here and there. It’s really not a complete impossibility as you make it seem.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, he’s only mimicking a certain other poster’s style in like every other thread.

Also, even the worst squads have historically been capable of signing a couple valuable free agents here and there. It’s really not a complete impossibility as you make it seem.
I hope you are right

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think org reputation matters, but only at the margin -- i think for most FAs, it probably can be overcome with another 2% of contract value or guarantee.

i think the 2019 and 2020 covid years + Kylers contract + buying out Keim and Kliff have left the Cardinals cash constrained.

In addition, Mike could very well have started buying out his siblings (fwiw, its what his dad did, kinda) -- leveraging up the team or his share. This also would erode operating cushion.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score

Look on the bright side. There's a 20% increase in season ticket prices AND new uniforms, which means more swag for everyone to buy. Brilliant!!!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
i think org reputation matters, but only at the margin -- i think for most FAs, it probably can be overcome with another 2% of contract value or guarantee.

i think the 2019 and 2020 covid years + Kylers contract + buying out Keim and Kliff have left the Cardinals cash constrained.

In addition, Mike could very well have started buying out his siblings (fwiw, its what his dad did, kinda) -- leveraging up the team or his share. This also would erode operating cushion.
it all started with the jet

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave