Scouting current NBA players

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When Babby and Blanks were brought in, they discussed/promised an increased focus on scouting current NBA players. One could point to the acquisition of Gortat as a sign of this focus; however, the front office doesn't deserve too much credit because he was widely regarded around the league as wasted talent languishing behind Howard. I expect to see a move or two this offseason that demonstrates our new scouting structure. I've compiled a list of a few players that I think could be targets and ready to break out. I looked for players that were young obviously and were stuck behind a veteran and perhaps had limited minutes but were productive when given the opportunity. I also limited my scope to our positions of extreme need being power forward shooting guard.

Darrell Arthur: He's obviously stuck behind Randolph for years to come. He's 6'9" and 235lbs and his game is similar to Lamarcus Aldridge IMO. He averaged 9.1 pts and 4.3 rebs in 20.1 mpg. That's 18.1 pts. and 8.6 rebs per 40 minutes. Arthur has another year on his contract, but Memphis is need of a back-up center with the trade of Thabeet. Lopez for Arthur does not work straight-up but perhaps a package could be worked out. Sam Young is another guy on their team that interests me.

Taj Gibson: Unfortunately for us, he got a good deal of recognition this postseason, mainly for his defensive prowess. He averaged 7.1/5.7 in 21.8 mpg(13/10.5 per 40 mpg). He'd likely be tough to get, but he'd be a nice power forward to share time with Frye.

Jordan Crawford: He was buried behind Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford on the Hawks and found himself behind an emerging Nick Young after he was traded to Washington. I had no idea about him until I looked at his stats in the last month and a half of the season. His field goal % was abysmal, but he put up some solid numbers averaging 16.3 pts 3 rebs and 3.9 asts in 33.3 mpg. He's 6'4" 195lbs so he's a bit small and he's got some things to work on.

Gerald Henderson:
He too was limited behind Stephen Jackson, but produced late in the season when given time. He averaged 9.6 pts and 3 rebs in 24.4 mpg. He shot a respectable 45% from the field but can't shoot the 3 at all (19%).

Other guys that interest me that I don't want to write up are Anthony Randolph and Mareese Speights both of whom have been mentioned repeatedly on this board. Center Nikola Pekovic intrigues me as back-up for Gortat if Lopez is moved, and Sam Young who has caught my eye a few times playing against us. Darrell Arthur is the realistic player that I want the most this offseason. I really think he has the tools to break out if given a consistent opportunity. I didn't look too much at 1's 3's or 5's. Feel free to post players that you think management should be watching.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ike diogu? he is stuck behind blake griffin.
jason maxiell? could be a milsap lite
I'll admit i havent watched many games outside of the suns so i havent seen them play in awhile. i remember wanting the suns to draft both arthur and gibson so i like those two.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
I watched some clippers games, don't like diogu that much. He seems like a really poor decision maker, doesn't know what to do with the ball once he has it.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Taj Gibson would be the target if I were in charge. His per-40 numbers are all that we need if we were to get a dynamic 2.

Say that we get a 2 in the draft who can come in and drop 13ppg as a rookie such as Burks. Now we keep Nash who gives 16ppg. Hill remains the starting 3 and gives an additional 13ppg. Gortat covers the 5 and gives us virtually identical stats to Gibson.

This means we get 68 - 70ppg from our starters for this year (Burks gets better next year). That's not a great amount of average scoring from our starters, but we have a team that is pretty deep now. Frye is good for 12ppg off the bench as is Dudley. Pietrus is good for 9ppg and just like that we are at 101ppg from our top 8 rotation. I'd be happy with that.

I guess the problem would be how to get Gibson while keeping #13 and Dudley. I'd imagine one of those would have to go to get back Gibson. In my mind, I'd rather send Dudley and get Burks. We could find young replacements at the 2/3 for Dudley in FA....

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need to get rid of some players too. Our roster is too crowded with mediocre players. Its a formula for unrest with everyone looking around and believing he deserves a bigger role than the next guy.

We need 2 stars, 3 mid-level players, 3 dirt workers, and the rest bench warmers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Good thread idea. How about Ramon Sessions?

"Ramon Sessions was excellent as Cleveland's starting point guard. Sessions averaged 19.9 points and 8.8 assists in February and was one of the league's best players in the month."

"Sessions is a pick-and-roll savant who has thrived when turned loose in the two-man game. When asked to play off the ball during his lone season with the Minnesota Timberwolves, however, Sessions floundered."

With Cleveland picking Irving, perhaps we can get Sessions on the cheap?

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good thread idea. How about Ramon Sessions?

"Ramon Sessions was excellent as Cleveland's starting point guard. Sessions averaged 19.9 points and 8.8 assists in February and was one of the league's best players in the month."

"Sessions is a pick-and-roll savant who has thrived when turned loose in the two-man game. When asked to play off the ball during his lone season with the Minnesota Timberwolves, however, Sessions floundered."

With Cleveland picking Irving, perhaps we can get Sessions on the cheap?

I had forgotten about Sessions. He's a repspectable shooter, but can not shoot the three to save his life. He'd definitely be a consideration, but probably only if we trade Nash. I think I'd rather have Felton. I don't think Denver can keep both Lawson and him.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What about Russel Westbrook?

E). Westbrook for Steve Nash and three first round picks and cash

It sounds crazy, but it's really not. Phoenix is clearly in rebuilding mode and knows it can't contend for the next couple years. Nash is 37 years old and on the final legs of a brilliant, but title-less career. A ring is all he's missing at this stage, and OKC presents a great opportunity. Nash's deft passing ability and three-point shooting accuracy would be a great addition to the Thunder.
He only has the one-year remaining on his deal and can bridge the gap over the next few years (assuming he resigns) for Eric Maynor to develop into the starting point guard of the future. Westbrook meanwhile offers an infusion of youth and athleticism the Suns desperately need to move forward. With Aaron Brooks there as well, it offers the possibility of sliding Westbrook over to shooting guard, where he can comfortably take 20-plus shots a night and become a legitimate 25-point scorer.

Value on the dollar for OKC: Even

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/26/should-okc-thunder-trade-russell-westbrook_n_867695.html

I'm thinking if we trade Lopez too then we would only have to give up 2 first rd picks since Lopez still has the value of a 1st rd pick plus OKC would get some depth behind Perkins.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E). Westbrook for Steve Nash and three first round picks and cash

It sounds crazy, but it's really not. Phoenix is clearly in rebuilding mode and knows it can't contend for the next couple years. Nash is 37 years old and on the final legs of a brilliant, but title-less career. A ring is all he's missing at this stage, and OKC presents a great opportunity. Nash's deft passing ability and three-point shooting accuracy would be a great addition to the Thunder.
He only has the one-year remaining on his deal and can bridge the gap over the next few years (assuming he resigns) for Eric Maynor to develop into the starting point guard of the future. Westbrook meanwhile offers an infusion of youth and athleticism the Suns desperately need to move forward. With Aaron Brooks there as well, it offers the possibility of sliding Westbrook over to shooting guard, where he can comfortably take 20-plus shots a night and become a legitimate 25-point scorer.

Value on the dollar for OKC: Even

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/26/should-okc-thunder-trade-russell-westbrook_n_867695.html

I'm thinking if we trade Lopez too then we would only have to give up 2 first rd picks since Lopez still has the value of a 1st rd pick plus OKC would get some depth behind Perkins.

Why stop there? Why not include Warrick so we only have to give them one 1st round pick. Better yet, let's toss in Siler and Lawal along with Warrick and Lopez so they can give us a 1st rounder to go with Westbrook. In case you missed the sarcasm, Lopez does NOT have 1st round value to anybody.

Westbrook may very well be worth 3 first round picks but it would doom this franchise, not to mention Westbrook would be demanding a trade as soon as he saw what a mess he was getting into.

Steve

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
In case you missed the sarcasm, Lopez does NOT have 1st round value to anybody.

Steve

Why not? Lopez is very young and is still an excellent center prospect. Very much worth a 1st round pick.

Wow, I managed to hold that bubble of false logic for about 2 seconds before it bursted back to reality. Is that a big enough window to make someone gullible sign the trading papers? :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? Lopez is very young and is still an excellent center prospect. Very much worth a 1st round pick.

Wow, I managed to hold that bubble of false logic for about 2 seconds before it bursted back to reality. Is that a big enough window to make someone gullible sign the trading papers? :)

Did anyone mention that he's tall (except for when he's playing defense). Also, the guy must be really bright because he went to Stanford. I'm starting to think a 1st round pick might not be enough for this guy.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Also, the guy must be really bright because he went to Stanford. I'm starting to think a 1st round pick might not be enough for this guy.
I wonder if Robin's biography is going to be entitled, "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader -- or You Don't Have To Be Stoned, Just Act It". :)

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder if Robin's biography is going to be entitled, "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader -- or You Don't Have To Be Stoned, Just Act It". :)

Even a sumation of both of those, ''How To Appear Stoned - For Dummies''... Could be turned into a bestseller with good management. :D

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why stop there? Why not include Warrick so we only have to give them one 1st round pick. Better yet, let's toss in Siler and Lawal along with Warrick and Lopez so they can give us a 1st rounder to go with Westbrook. In case you missed the sarcasm, Lopez does NOT have 1st round value to anybody.

Steve
Suns and Warriors have discussed trade scenarios in which Robin Lopez goes to Golden State and 11th pick plus Udoh ends up with Phoenix

http://mobile.twitter.com/Gambo620/status/82922854164865024

I am sorry man but you do not know anything about young prospects. Players who are just 21 or 22 that have the potential that Lopez does will ALWAYS have trade value.

Please do not try to act like a smartass just for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison