Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirStefan32
I am a huge fan of scary movies.

Really, Looking at your avatar and sig, I never would have guessed that :D

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
To me the original Halloween is the scariest ever on a gut level type movie. I had a teacher that had to do her student teaching in an asylum. She told me one of the inmates picked he up by her arm and walked her across a room with one arm, like how you hold a can of beer she said, and put her down to see his painting he was making. She said he showed no signs of straining, being out of breath, or changing the way he walked. She said the staff told her they had the dude on some MAJOR downers. She said that movie is too realistic.

On an intellectual level John Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness is very disturbing! He explains how Satan controls people on a subatomic level. Really disturbing when you think about it for any length of time.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
A little-known film called Session 9 has some good creepiness in it.

I rented "Session 9" because I am a huge David Carruso mark. I have still not seen him in a bad movie. I recommend "Session 9" every chance I get.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
A little-known film called Session 9 has some good creepiness in it.

That was a real creepy movie! That one and 28 Days Later both had that real gritty feel to them from the digital video.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My pick is Halloween. I was pretty young when I first saw it but even watching it now it's still scary. I also would mention a movie called Happy Birthday To Me. I saw this when I was young and it was scary then. I also thought Poltergeist was kind of creepy, especially the pool scene with all the skeletons. They actually used real skeletons for that scene.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm surprised how many votes for Halloween there are. The first time watching it, sure, it's pretty scary, but it doesn't hold up to repeated viewings, not like the Exorcist. Some of that has to be the fault of Jamie Lee Curtis and her fame--I mean, come on, do you really think of Halloween when someone mentions Jamie Lee Curtis? I think True Lies and Trading Places.

I like Halloween, but it doesn't stand up as well as the Exorcist. If you re-released both films at the same time, which would be scarier to you as a movie fan? I say Exorcist 95% of the time.

Disclaimer:
Of course, that's just my opinion.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You guys might think I'm crazy, but I think that the Exorcist is more funny than scary.

Maybe it's because I'm younger than you guys, but I've always wondered what the big deal was about the Exorcist.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
I'm surprised how many votes for Halloween there are. The first time watching it, sure, it's pretty scary, but it doesn't hold up to repeated viewings, not like the Exorcist.

I have to disagree here. Halloween is one of my all-time favorite movies (I've seen the Exorcist once).

Halloween was great because of how little you knew about Michael Myers. The only thing you know is he's one creepy dude in a William Shatner mask. If I find out someone I know hasn't seen it I make sure to watch it with them. It's great to watch how the movie holds up in this day of crapHollywood "horror". Two reasons for me that this movie holds up so well over the years (BY THE WAY, BIG SPOILERS AHEAD)

1.) when Laurie Strode has her back to Michael Myers and he slowly sits up, then turns to look at her. It doesn't matter that I know what's about to happen - sends chills up my spine everytime.

2.) when Dr. Loomis looks over the balcony at the end only to see that Michael Myers is gone. Then the music kicks in. One of the all-time great closers for a movie.

Maybe it doesn't make you want to go to sleep with the lights on, but with the lights out and a good sound system watch it with a date. It does the trick :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
I have to disagree here. Halloween is one of my all-time favorite movies (I've seen the Exorcist once).

Halloween was great because of how little you knew about Michael Myers. The only thing you know is he's one creepy dude in a William Shatner mask.

But can't you say that about every single slasher movie except maybe Nightmare on Elm Street?

I mean, geez, how much do you really know about Jason?

I like Halloween, but I'm more into the history of it (up until English Patient or Blair Witch or something, it was the highest grossing independent film ever). To me, it's basically a teenager being terrorized by a killer in a mask who escaped from a mental institution. That's it. There really wasn't any substance.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
But can't you say that about every single slasher movie except maybe Nightmare on Elm Street?

I mean, geez, how much do you really know about Jason?

I like Halloween, but I'm more into the history of it (up until English Patient or Blair Witch or something, it was the highest grossing independent film ever). To me, it's basically a teenager being terrorized by a killer in a mask who escaped from a mental institution. That's it. There really wasn't any substance.

Do you really want to know how much I know about Jason, Chap? :D

What separates the first Halloween from most other slasher flicks in my opinion was how seriously it took itself. You can watch most slasher films and tell that the producers were going for schlock, whereas Halloween didn't. FT13 had the camp violence aspect going for it but Halloween concentrated on real thrills. The kills weren't gratuitous and the characters weren't caricatures (though it didn't skimp on the female nudity).

Also, think of one horror film in the last twenty years with a soundtrack as memorable as Halloween (the Jason theme from the FT13 franchise being an obvious exception). The soundtrack worked very well for the movie. Really added suspense and terror when needed.

Jason will always be my favorite slasher for sheer brutality, but Michael Myers had a better backstory. The only explanation we're given is from Dr. Loomis saying that he's never studied anyone as evil as Myers, but the sexual undertones of his killings is a nice window into his character (this was dropped starting in part IV, when Myers became another Jason-like boogeyman).

In case you can't tell, I have nothing to do at work today.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I should have put in a disclaimer...

Slasher flicks are probably the genre I know the least about, so take my opinions with a grain of salt (or a bucket of blood)... :D

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They all scare the crap outta me. Never saw Psycho. Never saw the Exorcist. Never plan to either. In high school I used to call my mom to pick me up from friends' houses if they rented a scary movie. Yeah, I know, I'm a loser.

Anyway, Friday the 13th scared me. Only saw it cause a boy asked me to, LOL! Halloween was scary, too. Saw Nightmare, but didn't really scare me. Well, maybe a little, LOL!

My sister and brother both thought Stir of Echoes was scary as hell. I'll take their word for it. I want none of those possession movies in MY house!

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Nobody likes the original Hellraiser?

The first movie of all the horror franchises (Elm St, Friday, Halloween) are undeniably the best....

Exorcist is demented. Shining is a mind f*ck. Silence Of The Lambs is twisted. Pet Cemetary (as someone surprisingly mentioned) is really good. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is classic.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I liked Hellraiser, but it didn't really creep me out.

What does everybody think of The Night of the Living Dead?

I acctually laugh like crazy every time I watch that movie.

As far as Silence goes, it has one magnificant yet at the same time grotesque scene- when Lecter kills the guard, and he is listening to classical music while blood is dripping down his chin.
That is one of the most memorable scenes I've ever seen.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I liked Hellraiser, but it didn't really creep me out.

What does everybody think of The Night of the Living Dead?

I acctually laugh like crazy every time I watch that movie.

As far as Silence goes, it has one magnificant yet at the same time grotesque scene- when Lecter kills the guard, and he is listening to classical music while blood is dripping down his chin.
That is one of the most memorable scenes I've ever seen.

The original Night of the Living Dead was an alltime horror classic, though I wouldn't say it is scary.

Hell Raiser was more of a gore flick, but it is one of the better gore flicks.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Omen is another creepy movie. Cujo was OK.

Just saw the Blair Witch again. It never gets old.

Shining was brilliant also. "Daddy's home!"
:D

Very few scary movies recently though.
Ring was alright, but They, Spliced, etc sucked.

Children of the Corn also creep me out every time.

Carrie was interesting.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Blair Witch was old the second the final credits rolled! It definitely doesn't hold up to repeated viewings. On my first viewing, I thought the very end was creepy, but now it would be a headache-enducing mess! :D

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Omen is another creepy movie. Cujo was OK.

Shining was brilliant also. "Daddy's home!"
:D

Very few scary movies recently though.
Ring was alright, but They, Spliced, etc sucked.

Children of the Corn also creep me out every time.

Carrie was interesting.

I agree with the Omen series they were great.

For pure shock I have to say the movie with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves as lawyers completely had me off gaurd. I can't think of the name right now but when the wives were shopping and that girl turns around with the freaky teeth and crooked head I freaked. Completly unexpected and the whole movie changed right there. I loved that just for the shock value.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
I agree with the Omen series they were great.

For pure shock I have to say the movie with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves as lawyers completely had me off gaurd. I can't think of the name right now but when the wives were shopping and that girl turns around with the freaky teeth and crooked head I freaked. Completly unexpected and the whole movie changed right there. I loved that just for the shock value.

Devil's Advocate- excellent movie. Al Pacino was amazing.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Devil's Advocate- excellent movie. Al Pacino was amazing.

That's it. Pacino is always good.

Cardinator

Reaction score
The scariest to me was the Exorcist. I was a young teenager when I saw that movie the first time and it gave me nightmares! This movie wasn't as scary, but I liked Jeepers Creepers, especially because it had a different ending from most horror flicks.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinator
This movie wasn't as scary, but I liked Jeepers Creepers, especially because it had a different ending from most horror flicks.

:lol:

I consider myself a connoisseur of horror films (with a weakness for cheesy & bad horror) but I absolutely hated this movie. If they'd have just gone for the cheese factor it could have worked but to me it kept trying to be more than it was and fell flat on its face. Guess I now know someone who's anticipating the sequel.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
You guys might think I'm crazy, but I think that the Exorcist is more funny than scary.

Maybe it's because I'm younger than you guys, but I've always wondered what the big deal was about the Exorcist.

That is my exact opinion on "Psycho". That movie never had an adverse effect upon my psyche...