Scariest movie ever?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
That is my exact opinion on "Psycho". That movie never had an adverse effect upon my psyche...

The scare factor in Psycho was WAY more period related. It was SO far ahead of its time. I dont know about you, but I had seen a hundred gory slasher flicks before I ever saw Psycho, so I was a bit desensitized. The beauty of Psycho, and why it is widely regarded as the greatest horror movie of all time is that filmicly, it is leaps and bounds above any other film before or after it. There is so much artisitic integrity, beautiful camera work, innuendo, and metaphor in that film, that it is incompareable to any modern horror film.

You really need to be able to try and transport yourself to the period this film was released, and be aware of the INTENSE marketing that was used on this film to understand why it scared the collective sh*t out of the entire country at its release.

I own the DVD and watch it regularly. In fact, I like to watch it after seeing a particularly bad film, to remind that at one time, art was as important in filmmaking as making a buck.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Two choices:

saw Event Horizon in a theater at night, almost alone. That movie freaked the crap out of me, gory and psychologically scary.

Recently, saw 28 Days Later, very good, and it is in the theaters now, if you want to check it out......

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seeds Of Hate
Picking up where Psycho left off.... Serial Mom! An absolute psychological thriller/horror of epic proportions....

:biglaugh:

pus$y willows....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Picking up where Psycho left off.... Serial Mom! An absolute psychological thriller/horror of epic proportions....

And also my least favorite film of all time... :thumbup:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I stayed at the Monte Vista Hotel in Flagstaff this weekend. It gave me Psycho flashbacks.

Off topic The room we stayed was called the Humphrey Bogart room because Bogart stayed there.

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
The first horror movies I saw when I was a child were Poltergeist and Amityville Horror. because of my age 8, 9 or 10 years old they scarred the crap out of me. But in the end I'd have to agree that today the scarriest movies that have held up with time would have to be

Exorsist and Jaws.

Followed by in no particular order:

The Shining
Psycho
Omen
The Thing
Invasion of the body snatchers
Alien
The Hitcher
Deliverance
Phantasm
Dead Alive

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I remember Poltergeist scared the hell out of me as a kid. And don't laugh, but one of the Jaws sequels creeped me out when I was like in 2nd grade or something--it was the one with the theme park (I've only seen the first one), and the shark crashes into an underwater control booth, grabs a guy and then bites him in half.

I see a lot of people mention the Shining, which is creepy in its own right, but I always thought was it pretentious and waaaaay too long, it was Kubrick valiantly proclaiming, "Look, I'm Kubrick, and I can make this movie as long as I damn want!" :D

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

"You're saying Dead Alive is SCARY?? "

Oh Damn NOOOOOOO. I meant to write "DEAD CALM". It's been so long since I've seen it I had forgotten the title. Yikes.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by se7en
Chaplin said:

"You're saying Dead Alive is SCARY?? "

Oh Damn NOOOOOOO. I meant to write "DEAD CALM". It's been so long since I've seen it I had forgotten the title. Yikes.

Dead Calm is a creepy movie.

Billy Zane was awesome, he really plays those creepy drifter parts very well. :thumbup:

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score

The thing I loved about that movie was the near the end, when Kathleen Turner's character killed on of the jurors in the ladies restroom for wearing white after Labor Day (if memory serves.)

It was based on a true story, and that was one of the ture-life attacks that happened.

PS: Kathleen Turner still ranks high on my "hot-actress" list!

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd
The scare factor in Psycho was WAY more period related. It was SO far ahead of its time. I dont know about you, but I had seen a hundred gory slasher flicks before I ever saw Psycho, so I was a bit desensitized. The beauty of Psycho, and why it is widely regarded as the greatest horror movie of all time is that filmicly, it is leaps and bounds above any other film before or after it. There is so much artisitic integrity, beautiful camera work, innuendo, and metaphor in that film, that it is incompareable to any modern horror film.

You really need to be able to try and transport yourself to the period this film was released, and be aware of the INTENSE marketing that was used on this film to understand why it scared the collective sh*t out of the entire country at its release.

I own the DVD and watch it regularly. In fact, I like to watch it after seeing a particularly bad film, to remind that at one time, art was as important in filmmaking as making a buck.

I understand what you're saying completely. I think I was desensitized when I viewed it for the first time as well. It is a very well-put-together film, but there were no chills for me, as the plot twists in it have been copied time-after-time since then.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose