Rumor: Edwin Jackson

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're saying Daniel Hudson plus a pitching propsect. Hudson is the Sox #1 pitching prospect but I think he may be a bit overrated. Still, on paper, it looks to me like that's still better than what you got for Haren.
Yep. And I don't know what you are talking about, Hudson is AMAZING.

He is the best pitching prospect since Lance Broadway.

;)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess this is the best time to have a fire sale, fans lost interest a couple of months ago. Essentially we traded Scherzer and Schlereth for Ian Kennedy and Daniel Hudson, pretty much a wash.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I guess this is the best time to have a fire sale, fans lost interest a couple of months ago. Essentially we traded Scherzer and Schlereth for Ian Kennedy and Daniel Hudson, pretty much a wash.

In that context, I see that as better than a wash! Kennedy is a serious upgrade to the team over Schlereth. And IMO, Scherzer never was and never will be a consistent force as a starter. Don't know how Hudson will turn out, but he is cearly viewed as a potential #1 stud.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I hated the Scherzer for Jackson trade once I heard about it. This validates that it was a completely stupid trade.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I hated the Scherzer for Jackson trade once I heard about it. This validates that it was a completely stupid trade.
They're pretty much the same pitcher. Great stuff, no control. Less than a year apart in age as well.

These were necessary moves to re-stock the system with arms. I may actually watch the rest of this year and see how these kids progress. I'd like to see us do something with Johnson and LaRoche as well if not more.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They're pretty much the same pitcher. Great stuff, no control. Less than a year apart in age as well.

These were necessary moves to re-stock the system with arms. I may actually watch the rest of this year and see how these kids progress. I'd like to see us do something with Johnson and LaRoche as well if not more.

I'm convinced having strikeout leaders like Upton and Reynolds be such prominent players on offense is a major problem. It's an extremely tough situation for the D-Backs... there is no right answer here. Keep them and the offense will continue to be sub-par. Trade either one and you will receive nothing but hate from the fans.
Still, as much as I hate to say it as I really like the guy - a lot - I think Reynolds needs to be shipped out. You just can't have he and Upton continue to put up record-breaking K's year in and year out. It would be tough if just one of them were doing it as a #8 hitter. But BOTH as you're #3 and #4 hitters?? Just can't be successful with that recipe...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82 - maybe Reynolds and Upton need to learn from Chris Young ;)

And just think if still had Adam Dunn

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
82 - maybe Reynolds and Upton need to learn from Chris Young ;)

And just think if still had Adam Dunn

I think Upton is light-years better than Young. I am not at all sure his numbers will one day bear that out however. Which is sad...
As for Reynolds - he is getting progressively worse each year, and each month with respect to his K's. Young has shown improvement. Mark has not. As I said, I would hate to see he or Upton gone... but, both on the team just doesn't seem to equate to offensive success. You just can't have that many empty at-bats at those spots in the line-up... Just can't...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In that context, I see that as better than a wash! Kennedy is a serious upgrade to the team over Schlereth. And IMO, Scherzer never was and never will be a consistent force as a starter. Don't know how Hudson will turn out, but he is cearly viewed as a potential #1 stud.

Kennedy compared to Scherzer is a wash, their numbers are nearly identical. Hudson is not an ace as you are alluding to, if he was he would have been CHI's top prospect but instead he was #3 and is viewed a back of the rotation guy, so yeah it was a wash as we don't know how good Schlereth will be.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
6 more K's tonight between Upton and Reynolds... Reynolds goes 0 for 4 with 4 K's... Oh, they lost... go figure....

Upton had 3 rbi's and extended his hitting streak to 16. If you have to get rid of one, it's a no-brainer in my opinion. Upton is going to get better, Reynolds, I don't know.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Drew part of the Diamondbacks future?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is Drew part of the Diamondbacks future?

He is eligible for aritration after either this or next year and his agent is Scott Boras so I say no. He is a good SS but nothing close to the next A-Rod whom Boras was selling to teams in 2004.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Kennedy compared to Scherzer is a wash, their numbers are nearly identical. Hudson is not an ace as you are alluding to, if he was he would have been CHI's top prospect but instead he was #3 and is viewed a back of the rotation guy, so yeah it was a wash as we don't know how good Schlereth will be.

Hudson had arguably one of the best starts all season for a D-back pitcher yesterday! The kid is indeed a potential #1 STUD! No guarantees of course, but he's got everything a kid needs to become just that, a #1 stud! And yesterday he put it on full display... impressive to say the least!

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Hudson had arguably one of the best starts all season for a D-back pitcher yesterday! The kid is indeed a potential #1 STUD! No guarantees of course, but he's got everything a kid needs to become just that, a #1 stud! And yesterday he put it on full display... impressive to say the least!

It was great to see a good outing from him and I'm excited for his future, but most scouts agree that his upside is 2/3 max. Then again most didnt think Webb would be as good as he was, so who knows.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rumor is the White Sox acquired Jackson because they thought they had an agreement with the Nationals to get Adam Dunn. That's why they were willing to give up Hudson. Instead the Nationals stood put and Kenny Williams is looking like a fool today.

On the flip side, the Sox are selling this by saying they found a flaw in Jackson's delivery that they think they can fix right away. If that happens, and Jackson proves to be a semi-reliable starter, the D-Backs better hope Hudson pitches everyday like he did yesterday. (against the Mets, who are hitting .208 as a team since the All-Star break).

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Rumor is the White Sox acquired Jackson because they thought they had an agreement with the Nationals to get Adam Dunn. That's why they were willing to give up Hudson. Instead the Nationals stood put and Kenny Williams is looking like a fool today.

On the flip side, the Sox are selling this by saying they found a flaw in Jackson's delivery that they think they can fix right away. If that happens, and Jackson proves to be a semi-reliable starter, the D-Backs better hope Hudson pitches everyday like he did yesterday. (against the Mets, who are hitting .208 as a team since the All-Star break).

Good points... had no idea about the Dunn situation, which makes a ton of sense as right now, the D-backs raped the Sox...
And yes, the Mets are back to sucking eggs. Still, they have several legit major league hitters. Hudson did exactly what he should do - mowed them down over 8 innings with one walk... Very nice...

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points... had no idea about the Dunn situation, which makes a ton of sense as right now, the D-backs raped the Sox...
And yes, the Mets are back to sucking eggs. Still, they have several legit major league hitters. Hudson did exactly what he should do - mowed them down over 8 innings with one walk... Very nice...

The spin in the sox' favor is 1) Jackson has pennant race experience and Hudson is am unknown, 2) the Sox' pitching coach is pretty good, 3) Jackson has pretty good numbers v. The AL Central (I think). So rape may not be the appropriAte word, in more ways than one.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The spin in the sox' favor is 1) Jackson has pennant race experience and Hudson is am unknown, 2) the Sox' pitching coach is pretty good, 3) Jackson has pretty good numbers v. The AL Central (I think). So rape may not be the appropriAte word, in more ways than one.

Guess we'll soon see. Hudson showed what potentially lies ahead. And we'll see what Jackson can bring in the run for the post season.

Sorry about the word choice Mulli... it slipped out.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess we'll soon see. Hudson showed what potentially lies ahead. And we'll see what Jackson can bring in the run for the post season.

Sorry about the word choice Mulli... it slipped out.

Tis okay my man! I was just giving grief.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn