Rumor: Edwin Jackson

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/edwin-jacksonadam-dunn-threeteam-rumor.html#disqus_thread

It wouldn't be late July without rumors of intriguing three-team deals. ESPN's Jayson Stark:
Rumblings continue to surface about a possible three-team deal involving the Nationals, White Sox and Diamondbacks that would send Edwin Jackson to Washington, Adam Dunn to Chicago and a bunch of young pitchers to Arizona.
We know the Nationals like Jackson and the White Sox like Dunn, so perhaps the D'Backs can facilitate a deal and further stock up on prospects. Jackson, who is no stranger to three-team deals, has a 5.01 ERA, 7.0 K/9, and 4.0 BB/9 in 20 starts for Arizona. On the plus side, he turns 27 in September, averages 94 mph on his fastball, and is signed for next year. As he was with Dan Haren, D'Backs interim GM Jerry Dipoto might be forced to sell low on Jackson.

I like it if the White Sox can send a bunch of AA and A ball pitchers to AZ.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
What could they get for Jackson? - Even with the no hitter it seems like his shine has to be a good ways off by now.

In a 3 way deal it seems like it would be the sox sending pitchers to the diamondbacks .... but really what could you get?

Maybe a solid mid-relief prospect like clevelan santeliz and a quality starter prospect who is a couple years away like dexter carter?

I doubt they get back anyone as good as scherzer

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe no one's interested in Stephen Drew.

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
WTH does Chicago have? They have one of the worst farm systems in baseball.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hard to believe no one's interested in Stephen Drew.

I like Drew... but, I really don't get the amount of love he receives on this board. One other poster thought he would garner a #1 starting pitcher in a trade. :shock:

He's solid. But, that really it. He's solidly in the second tier of SS's.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Everybody is excited to trade with the Dbacks after seeing how little it took to get Haren.

A bat boy and a bag of Doritos might land you Jackson.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Drew... but, I really don't get the amount of love he receives on this board. One other poster thought he would garner a #1 starting pitcher in a trade. :shock:

Considering the level of talent on this team, isn't a second tier SS deserving of adulation relative to his teammates? :shrug:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Solid short stops who play every day have decent value in MLB. I didn't say he was amazing. Just noting he's worth something on the trade market and he won't be around by the time the D-Backs are meaningful again.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Danny Espinosa and Juan Jaime from Washington, John Ely and Santos Rodriguez from the White Sox is what I'm hearing.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Solid short stops who play every day have decent value in MLB. I didn't say he was amazing. Just noting he's worth something on the trade market and he won't be around by the time the D-Backs are meaningful again.

I don't disagree with that. However, at this stage of the season, I tend to believe that trades are being done by teams looking to make a run at the post season. It's why Pitching is most often the big focus and what drives most of the trades.
Drew is the type of guy who would not at all add much in this context. However, if a team is willing to sign up for a decent, but nowhere great SS, taking a more longer-term perspective, than yea, something might get done between now and the start of next season.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Danny Espinosa and Juan Jaime from Washington, John Ely and Santos Rodriguez from the White Sox is what I'm hearing.

Already like this package way more than what we got for Haren. Espinosa is a good, but not great shortstop prospect, Jaime and Rodriguez are high-ceiling but not yet ready guys and Ely is a grinder with okay stuff.

Would do this all day long for Jackson, who hasn't really shown me much this season.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drew is the type of guy who would not at all add much in this context. However, if a team is willing to sign up for a decent, but nowhere great SS, taking a more longer-term perspective, than yea, something might get done between now and the start of next season.

Detroit's a legitimate playoff contender and I'm sort of surprised they haven't pulled the trigger on Drew yet.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Detroit's a legitimate playoff contender and I'm sort of surprised they haven't pulled the trigger on Drew yet.

They've been hit so incredibly hard with injuries... they have so many needs now. I would think that if they want to make a real run at the post season, they are looking at other needs versus a guy like Drew who simply wouldn't add much to a post-season run. It's not like he would come in and start popping HR's all over the place and knocking in 3-4 runs a game... Drew is seriously struggling this year at the plate and in a park like Comerica Park, a definite pitchers park, I just don't see why the Tigers would see Drew as a target. Now, watch the deal get made tonight! :D

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Already like this package way more than what we got for Haren. Espinosa is a good, but not great shortstop prospect, Jaime and Rodriguez are high-ceiling but not yet ready guys and Ely is a grinder with okay stuff.

Would do this all day long for Jackson, who hasn't really shown me much this season.

I had mixed reviews about Jackson. He seemed like someone who had vast upside as a pro, but never quite put it all together prior to last season. He looked okay in his final season in Tampa, nothing spectacular though.

I saw him as a guy who could fill in as a respectable #2, and a good #3. Thus far, he's been a bit of a disappointment there, however my expectations weren't that major to begin with.

I really like that trade package I mentioned.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've been hit so incredibly hard with injuries... they have so many needs now. I would think that if they want to make a real run at the post season, they are looking at other needs versus a guy like Drew who simply wouldn't add much to a post-season run. It's not like he would come in and start popping HR's all over the place and knocking in 3-4 runs a game... Drew is seriously struggling this year at the plate and in a park like Comerica Park, a definite pitchers park, I just don't see why the Tigers would see Drew as a target. Now, watch the deal get made tonight! :D

They need a SS with or without injuries. Tigers looked at Drew up close. He played OK against them. Think he had a couple of hits and couple of RBIs. Maybe they decided to wait until year end.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think Stephen Drew has legitimate value in a very thin position .... he's still young and generally has a pretty good approach

however, he may not have enough value for the diamondbacks to actually trade him ...... in his career he has posted WAR of 1.8, -.01, 2.3, 1.6 and this year so far .7 (ranked #97 in the NL) ........ not exactly stellar stats, even for a SS

Right now he's young enough, his contract is friendly enough and he isn't really blocking anyone ..... so he may have the most value to the diamondbacks

For shortshops this season in the NL his WAR is in the range of edgar renteria and yunel escobar and starlin castro

last year if you take his career best 2.3 it would put him in with dan uggla, chris coghlan, martin prado & seth smith around 50th in the NL ..... nice players and ones who can help, but may not carry the largest bounty

last year hanley posted a 7.2, tulo a 6.8, escobar a 5.5, furcal a 2.8

I know it's only one stat, but it helps provide some context

If a team needed an injury replacement or if they were really bad at SS they may be willing to make a move ... but it wouldn't be for an MLB ready player and it probably wouldn't be worth losing drew in the d'backs lineup

he's in an odd position of being decent but not good enough to be highly desired

it's kind of like the marlins and cody ross ...... he has more value to the team than what he'll get a trade, although he could definitely help some clubs even if he isn't a world beater

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

They should have kept Haren and did this trade.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
That's hilarious. Where is Diamondback Jay hearing these things from?

Aint gotta refer to me in the third person.. I'm right here.

Heard from a source who works within the Nationals broadcast team. Seems like it may have been speculation on his part, although the deal (minus Ely obviously) makes a fair deal of sense for Arizona. Also, it's documented that they're interested in both Jaime and Espinosa.

But hey, who the **** is he to make a call like this right? I mean, he works in the business every day. Granted, he doesn't know every single player in every single system like the experts here do..

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
They're saying Daniel Hudson plus a pitching propsect. Hudson is the Sox #1 pitching prospect but I think he may be a bit overrated. Still, on paper, it looks to me like that's still better than what you got for Haren.