RUMOR - Cardinals one of several teams interested in Austin Hooper

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Chopper0080, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Lol. Oooookay. Here comes the putting words in my mouth hyperbole argumentation.

I said concentrate on the offense and I support signing hooper. Nowhere did I say “go all in on offense” and nowhere did I say “let the defense keep sucking,” I clearly advocated making an investment on defense just a more modest one.

I’m happy to keep the conversation going, but not if you resort to these tactics.

Chopper0080 likes this.
  2. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I’d have interest in Henry too. Likely greater interest than in hooper.

daves likes this.
  3. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I think where he’s coming from is that if we sign Hooper, along with some of the considered re-signings, we frankly can’t work out the math on the other guys.

Don’t wanna speak for him, but I personally don’t think we can afford to “upgrade” at any position where we have a starter. Someone who is a replacement for an empty roster spot can represent a better player than last year’s starter though.

daves and BritCard like this.
  4. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Like when you said I was advocating for mediocrity on both sides of the ball? :)

I thought you were pushing for all out offensive free agency when you said

"I recall in various arenas the propositions of “play to your strengths” or “enhance your strengths rather than expend more energy trying to fill your weaknesses.” I think it holds true with sports. First, identify your strength. Can you make that strength top in the field? If so, do that before trying to fill weaknesses. Weaknesses are weaknesses for a reason - they are more difficult to build up do to your specific circumstances. The cards strength at present is definitely the offense. It’s middle of the pack. But if they add top tier weapons to it the hope is it’s jumps to elite. If you ignore it to instead build an atrocious defense to mediocre you’re essentially left with a team that’s mediocre all over. It seems smarter to build to a side of the team to elite and then follow by building defense to mediocre. For those reasons and hoopers age and skill set I am all for signing him."

It reads like you are suggesting major offensive investment to make the offense elite which would take more than Hooper and much of our cap space. But if not I apologise.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  5. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

Reality check: OTC has Hooper valued at $8.2M/year, and Hollister at $5.2M/year. Not that OTC is the ultimate authority on the matter, but those numbers seem a lot more realistic than yours. Guess we shall see what the market bears.

...dave

6. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

I confess to a built-in bias of feeling heavy dependance on the TE is boring.

That said - I think the emergence of physical freaks at the position is transforming the role of the TE to kind of Super-Blocker/Receiver who can take over football games. If and when we get one or two of those guys, we can be a TE-heavy offense also. Till then, we should run an offense that gets the most of the guys we've got.

7. BritCard

BritCard Registered

He has 49 receptions and 450 yards in 3 years. I would think his money ceiling is what Maxx Williams just got.

Turns out he's RFA anyway sadly.

8. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

Oh, please. You cannot tell me Kingsbury did not see the progression of what he was doing. I think we need to give professionals a little more credit in their profession having the realization that they cannot rebuild this roster overnight and that they're seeing something which did work. This is a contact sport, people get dinged up and you need depth. I am all for a Hooper, Arnold, Williams TE group... and our coaching staff is more than capable to allocate justification of usage, geez

DVontel likes this.
  9. DVontel

DVontel Registered

If we don’t go for a Hooper, I hope we go for TE in the draft. Josiah Deguara in round 5 would be a great pick.

TheCardFan and Chopper0080 like this.
  10. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Kingsbury adapted just fine. Does that mean it's what he wants to do optimally in his offense? Not so sure.

This isn't "depth," this is spending a significant amount of money on a player who will be counted on to be a star instead of a contributor. He's going to make roughly $10m per season.

Our coaching staff isn't capable of anything until they start winning some actual games against real opponents. The only feather in their cap is Seattle.

11. Jetstream Green

Carry on Solar... because Williams is not getting a butt load of money and having two stud TEs for what works equates points as the Patriots once found out

12. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Maxx Williams is getting a decent check. He is not a stud TE, he is serviceable. Hooper will get a butt load of money and is not a stud TE.

The Patriots had two stud TEs because they drafted and developed them, not threw them tons of money in free agency after seeing them perform on a stacked offensive roster. Remember, this team drafts and develops no one.

13. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

I am pretty sure he is advocating to help the offense go from average to above average and the defense from bad to average. It is not realistic to believe you can take a bad offense or defense and make it great in a single off-season. It is more likely to move it a smaller degree and build over time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown and daves like this.
  14. Jetstream Green

So that is your basis for discussion, that you will examine every move as the status quo of a past hindrance. That you will admit Kingsbury adapted but let your paranoia run rampant and claim he will be stubborn and do it all over again with a spread full set when he acknowledge that did not work which prompted him to use more TEs and backs. Usually people who are judged as innovative do not go backwards. Would you not say that Kugler has not developed this OL. Would you not say that Kingsbury and Clements have not done some advantageous tutelage with Murray... but then again you cited already this offseason will be abysmal, so I will not yank your chain and let you embrace your theme :)

15. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

How is our TE position anywhere close to being "loaded with talent"?